View Full Version : ? about moving stuff around in my dash on a 97 chevy blazer.

12-01-2004, 03:34 PM
I have a problem with where my stereo is mounted in my vehicle. My blazer is a automatic, where the shifter is on the steering colum. The problem Iam having is that when I open the face on my stereo, my shifter gets in the way and wont let it open all the way.

I want to put in a stereo with a motorized tv in my dash, but I know that I wont have enough room for the TV to flip out of the dash.

My question is, if it is possable to move my stereo over a little to where my heater switches are. They are both mounted in the same location, and to me look like I could just slide the heater stuff over, and put the stereo in the heater spot. This would give me the room I need to mount a motorized TV in my dash, but my local stereo shop says that it cant be done.

I was just wondering if anybody knows if this could be done. If it can, will there be a lot of modifactions, or will it be easy?

Any help would be great.

Here is a pic of what Iam talking about, as you can see. This is my shifter in Park, when it is in Drive, that is when the face wont flip open all the way. I basically just want ot move the heater switches to the left (closer to the steering wheel), and the radio to the right.



12-01-2004, 03:35 PM
If I posted this in the wrong spot, Iam sorry. :crazy:

12-01-2004, 03:40 PM
i wouldnt doubt it, as long as the switches have enough slack in the wires then u could be able to just make a new bracket/faceplate thing. maybe even just flip it around.

12-01-2004, 04:25 PM
yea see if you can pull it out and switch it over to the other side. im positive with a little bit of work you can get it to look stock. peace

12-02-2004, 10:16 AM
I will have to try it and see if the wires from the heater will be long enough.

If the wires are not long enough, do you know if a auto repair shop could make the wires longer?


12-02-2004, 12:42 PM
i bet they could but it shouldnt be anything you cant do yourself. they have these little adapter things where you put in a piece of wire into one end crimp it and then you have another end where you can put more wires in and crimp that. you can lengthen the wires like this. not sure what they are called but i will try and find a pic to some.

12-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the help GEORGE, if you can find the pic, that would be cool.

I will take it all apart this weekend and see if I can do it.