PDA

View Full Version : 4Volt to 8Volt Pre-Outs Question!

Zinthesis
11-30-2004, 12:10 PM
hi,

i currently own alpines CDA-9815 which has a pre-out of 4Volts and was thinking if its worth upgrading to the new Eclipse 8Volt Pre-Out head unit .. my amp iz an MRD-M1001 that can handle a max of 8Volts through the inputs ... sooo iz it worth selling my current head unit (that iz completely functional and almost brand new) and investing in this 8Volt upgrade?

squeak9798
11-30-2004, 12:15 PM
Not unless the Eclipse has other features you'd like aswell. If not, then it's not worth it. Don't get me wrong, Eclipse makes great HU's.....but don't upgrade just for preout voltage; you likely won't hear a difference.

Zinthesis
11-30-2004, 12:16 PM
well yeh.. there's nuffin else id want out ov the Eclipse head unit.. i prefer keeping everything ALPINE but are u sure an extra 4 volts in the pre - out won't make a difference i can actually hear?? cuz im sort ov a perfectionist (very picky) wen it cumz 2 having the nicest sound

squeak9798
11-30-2004, 12:18 PM
The only possible change in audibility would be if you currently had some noise coming from your amp. The only advantage to higher preout voltages is that your gain will be lower, possibly reducing noise issues (if you have any). If you have no noise, then you'll hear no change.

Zinthesis
11-30-2004, 12:21 PM
yeh i get ya now.. thnx a lot.. i'll stick with my CDA-9815 then.. and just make sure my systems installed propperly with correct earthing and grounds etc etc

3.5Max6spd
11-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Eclipse 8v have low 55ohm output impedance, also offer a 24bit DAC w/ twin DSP designated chips(so when you are using EQ, bells and whistles and what not- it doesnt take away from the overall performce of the unit)

Zinthesis
11-30-2004, 12:28 PM
i don't get it... could u please explain the advantages and disadvantages of getting this eclipse head unit??

i just dont get wat u ment by all that teknikal stuff

3.5Max6spd
11-30-2004, 12:41 PM
i don't get it... could u please explain the advantages and disadvantages of getting this eclipse head unit??

i just dont get wat u ment by all that teknikal stuff

low output impedance is ideal and important(in electrical matters) for audio signal transfer - thats why all high end decks have low output impedance (under 100)

higher voltage will allow your gains to be lower, thus achieving full output from your amp with lower gains- less work for the amp, less distortion

a 24 bit DAC- well its a superior digital to analog converter than what is in you unit- like the difference from a pentium 4 and a Celeron on a computer - its a chip that converts digital data into analog signals

Zinthesis
11-30-2004, 12:47 PM
so now ur telling me that the extra 4Volts that the Eclipse Head - Unit has to offer is defenantly worth going for?

3.5Max6spd
11-30-2004, 12:50 PM
so now ur telling me that the extra 4Volts that the Eclipse Head - Unit has to offer is defenantly worth going for?

My point is you are NOT just getting an extra 4v....you are getting an overall better unit

Zinthesis
11-30-2004, 12:58 PM
if you were in my position would you sell your CDA-9815 (that you most probably won't get much for) and go buy that Eclipse HU? and if not that HU which is the best?

3.5Max6spd
11-30-2004, 01:38 PM
if you were in my position would you sell your CDA-9815 (that you most probably won't get much for) and go buy that Eclipse HU? and if not that HU which is the best?

I f I had a 9815(which I wouldn't)and I wasn't happy with my HU, and wanted a much better unit- yes I would

Remember you started this thread , not me- You said you are a perfectionist....
I just gave info on what makes that Eclipse a better unit other than 8v outs

JLCivic
11-30-2004, 04:16 PM
I believe Eclipse makes a better sounding deck than Alpine. I wouldn't say the only reason for that is pre out voltage. Only YOUR ears will tell you what sounds best to you.

squeak9798
11-30-2004, 04:56 PM

I personally like Eclipse more than Alpine. Is it worth selling the Alpine (at a loss) and spending more money on top of that for the Eclipse? I'd venture to say that the expense probably isn't worth the benefits.

soundfx2
11-30-2004, 05:33 PM
you will hear the difference once you put the eclipse in the car! the head unit is the starting point of the whole system. I just took one of my demo cars and took out a 4v alpine and installed a eclipse 8053, eclipse is running a great special on those head units and the sound was night and day different. The eclipse head unit is built very well. If you are on a budget and money is tight dont fix what is not broken. 3.5max6speed pretty much sums it up, strong voltage and low ohm signal makes the amps perform better.

reed8857
11-30-2004, 05:56 PM
If I was in your postion I would think this way..........if I am happy with my current head unit...if not I would buy the eclip. (if I can afford it)...if my current head unit satisfys my needs keep the current head unit.

squeak9798
11-30-2004, 06:00 PM
strong voltage and low ohm signal makes the amps perform better.

Doesn't necessarily mean it is audible.

soundfx2
11-30-2004, 06:03 PM
in the eclipse unit we are talking about it is audible

squeak9798
11-30-2004, 06:04 PM
in the eclipse unit we are talking about it is audible

Not the preouts, either that or you didn't properly set your gains.

Not saying the Eclipse can't sound better....but more than likely it's not because of the preouts.

soundfx2
11-30-2004, 06:09 PM
its because of the pre out but that is diffence of opions, well i am new to this i have be only doing this for 23yrs. i have spend time in arizona training with mark fakuda as well as the top guys in the industry. i have also be interview buy car audio, as well as cerifications and training for over 10 yrs. i was installing systems when you were probably riding your big wheel with your am radio

squeak9798
11-30-2004, 06:27 PM
its because of the pre out but that is diffence of opions, well i am new to this i have be only doing this for 23yrs. i have spend time in arizona training with mark fakuda as well as the top guys in the industry. i have also be interview buy car audio, as well as cerifications and training for over 10 yrs. i was installing systems when you were probably riding your big wheel with your am radio

What do you want, a cookie? Your either very conceited or very insecure, because that's (atleast) twice out of your 12 total posts that you've felt the need (or looked for an opportunity) to throw your "background" into the conversation. Believe it or not, I'm not on my hands and knees for you right now.

3.5Max6spd
11-30-2004, 06:31 PM

buahahaha!!!.... dont know about that, Squeek's pretty O.L.D :p:

JLCivic
11-30-2004, 06:40 PM
I personally like Eclipse more than Alpine. Is it worth selling the Alpine (at a loss) and spending more money on top of that for the Eclipse? I'd venture to say that the expense probably isn't worth the benefits.

...but he considers himself a perfectionist so if he notices an improvement, it might be worth the $$ to him... Only his ears can say for sure.

3.5Max6spd
11-30-2004, 06:41 PM
...but he considers himself a perfectionist so if he notices an improvement, it might be worth the $$ to him... Only his ears can say for sure.

very good point....

supa_c
11-30-2004, 06:43 PM
buahahaha!!!.... dont know about that, Squeek's pretty O.L.D :p:He shure is :rolleyes:

squeak9798
11-30-2004, 07:43 PM
buahahaha!!!.... dont know about that, Squeek's pretty O.L.D :p:

That O.L.D. better not be an acronym for something :)

audiolife
11-30-2004, 07:55 PM
i would figure such a well schooled person would use the right words and at least spell easy words better lol

forbidden
11-30-2004, 08:17 PM
I too would swap that cd player in a heartbeat for an Eclipse, there are many unmentioned advantages to this unit and to fuel the fire here, how the voltage is appled across the frequency spectrum adds a whole new meaning to the words sq. So yes, the higher boltage preouts can and will make a difference as their voltage does not drop like a rock across the frequency spectrum. Then we can add a laser sled tuned to resonate at 19hz, 5 servos to control the laser sled and on and on. We can all talk out our a$$ forever, my advice which I pass on to my customers, try it and you will see what a difference a cd player can and will make in a system. And I am old, a little more very soon, so there.

iamamp3pimp
11-30-2004, 08:38 PM

but if you think it is (the thread starter) let me know so i can get that 9815 from ya

EaC95z28
12-01-2004, 02:20 PM
im also interested in the alpine 9815 if u decide to sell it. im aslo interested for a 9813 either that or the 9815 im in the market for. so if u guys have one that u are trying to get rid of let me know asap. but to get tto the topic of the thread. as everyong else says u need to decide if its what u want or not to try. u can go with the eclipse if money isnt a concern as well and hopefully hear a pretty good difference enough for the cost of replacing the alpine for eclipse. up t o u man.

Mark_ab
12-02-2004, 11:04 AM
The Eclipse is a superior unit (established) to the Alpine.
The question now posed is: Can you afford the Alpine?
If you're a perfectionist then do your research. Don't limit searches to Eclipse and Alpine; although both are excellent HU's with good reputations. Become informed and make an educated choice while existing within your means.
That's all it boils down to.

LBX2G
12-02-2004, 11:25 AM
welll to end this, why not just get and 3 way active crossover or an EQ. I will up his preamps and he have more total control over his system.

3.5Max6spd
12-02-2004, 11:50 AM
welll to end this, why not just get and 3 way active crossover or an EQ. I will up his preamps and he have more total control over his system.

'fine tuning' is not the difference between these decks- more like the hard drive

Eq is something thats works very well on my deck, but I dont recall the last time I used it- I dont need it, just sometimes on poorly recorded material (CDR's)

Also although I agree external EQ's are most effective in sound tailoring and the preamps help boost voltage issues- you are still adding ANOTHER link to the signal chain that can not only possibly bring in noise via connections but cause serious clipping as well if not used properly

LBX2G
12-02-2004, 12:54 PM
i agree but it does sovle his problem quite well. I mean if it is installed correctly then it would give him what he wants. I mean this can turn into that thread they had on here about a year or 2 ago. About what is the most impartant part of an system. SSSSSsoooooooooo lets not do that. But u have to admit that EQ's or; and a crossover will do the trick.

squeak9798
12-02-2004, 01:11 PM
i agree but it does sovle his problem quite well. I mean if it is installed correctly then it would give him what he wants. I mean this can turn into that thread they had on here about a year or 2 ago. About what is the most impartant part of an system. SSSSSsoooooooooo lets not do that. But u have to admit that EQ's or; and a crossover will do the trick.

There currently are no problem (that he has mentioned). He was just asking if the higher preout voltage was worth it. If you currently have no noise issues in the system, then a higher preout voltage isn't going to change anything (assuming all gains were properly adjusted after the switch). So adding another component to the system has a high possibility of causing more problems then anything (as 3.5Max mentioned; another component in the system increases the chances for induced noise, deteriorated signal, etc etc).