PDA

View Full Version : Xtreme Midbass Component Setup#1

beezlebub
11-27-2004, 08:30 AM
waiting for my 2005 mustang gt to come in i have 4000 to spend on the total system-heres what i want. flip down dvd/cd player, 2 jl w6 12's factory spec ported box(jl 1000 watt mono amp) dynamat cover THE DOORS AND TRUNK. i dont know what to do about components-i know i listen to metal so i want alot of mid bass and clean highs. should i try to run a 3-way (8" midbass-driver 5 1/2 mid range-1" silkdome tweeter) i dont want to screw up this time putting in the standard 6.5 component and *****ing about it later.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED BONE CRUSHING DEATH METAL MID BASS

ps: i've listened to cdt,mb quart,jl,alpine,polk. want to check-out dynaudio but no dealers in atlanta-dynaudio has 8" mid bass drivers!!!

osiris999
11-27-2004, 11:58 AM
going with everything mainstream i see.

audiolife
11-27-2004, 12:18 PM
want killer mid bass? get horns and a pair of koda 8's if you like metal it gets no better than that

beezlebub
11-27-2004, 07:09 PM
horns ? i hear image dynamic make some decent ones. and no im not trying to go mainstrem i dont want to make compromises this time i want this system to rock. what kind of power does the koda's need to jam oh and who the hell makes them or better yet where kind i find them on line

squeak9798
11-27-2004, 07:13 PM
For the Koda mids: www.adireaudio.com, you should be good with ~100w to each

For horns; Image Dynamics is great. I also have a pair of rare Illusion Audio CH1 horns for sale, which are basically "equal" to the Image Dynamics CD2Comp full body horns :)

JoseMCeee
11-27-2004, 07:14 PM
www.adireaudio.com

Bobyota
11-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Has anyone actually tried the Adire 8's yet? From the graphs they show, it looks like they aren't that good above ~200 hz. What horn can play down to 200? :titanic:

audiolife
11-27-2004, 08:24 PM
200 or 2000? i have yet to hear a midbass driver not be able to play above 500. it just has a dip at 200 hz(most drivers do in car). you cant run horns without an eq anyway nothing shown from that graph suggests it cant do it. my set up set "flat" was 100db at 20 hz then went all crazy from there, but the thing about horns once you get it just about right you dont really ever have to do much if any more tweaking to play any type of music you want. always has a TON of energy. why are you selling your horns squeak? soon as i get situated im going to get horns again either usd super A's or make my own.

audiolife
11-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Has anyone actually tried the Adire 8's yet? From the graphs they show, it looks like they aren't that good above ~200 hz. What horn can play down to 200? :titanic:id take that graph for a mid bass

squeak9798
11-27-2004, 09:10 PM
why are you selling your horns squeak?

Cause I don't need two sets :D These aren't the same ones that are currently installed in my car, these are an extra set I have lying around. Nobody's biting on them.........I'm half tempted to start trying to figure out how to run two sets of horns in my car...LOL

soon as i get situated im going to get horns again either usd super A's or make my own.

Make your own :eek: I'd like more info on that

beezlebub
11-27-2004, 09:16 PM
horns sound to me like you have to really know what your doing to get them up and running. im not going to install them im gonna shell out the extra cash-from what i hear it's all in the install. just trying to get the rigtht gear. where would they install the horns, aren't those things big. one more thing do i have to get a good eq or can i get a hu with a eq to run this system

mattj
11-27-2004, 09:47 PM
The kodas would be a great choice and if you cant fit 8s, resonant engineering has a pair of XXX 6.5 mids that would be sure to sooth your mid-bass requirement. The list goes on and on and it depends on what you can fit (or make fit) and how much power/money youve got.
:D

beezlebub
11-27-2004, 09:58 PM
WELL i dont know how the door panels are but on a 6.5 hole im sur you can get get some red snipps and cut out a 8" hole. i looked inside the mustang and it has oversized speaker covers in the door. money isnt a big issue but i dont want to over do it. i just want this system to be loud and clean-want to put these rappers to shame!!!

audiolife
11-27-2004, 10:20 PM
you get at least a 15 band per side eq (1/2 octive or 30 band 1/3 octive) with a 24 db per octive crossover you cant muff them up lol.i find horns easier (need more equipment though) to do than just about anything. horns own for low distortion and clean VERY loud output.

audiolife
11-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Cause I don't need two sets :D These aren't the same ones that are currently installed in my car, these are an extra set I have lying around. Nobody's biting on them.........I'm half tempted to start trying to figure out how to run two sets of horns in my car...LOL

Make your own :eek: I'd like more info on that

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3

and just use different bodies. i dunno how you like those illussion bodies i only ever heard 1 set up right lol and that was at finals where they had 3 cars with those in it.

beezlebub
11-27-2004, 10:27 PM
your talking a language i dont understand-so what your trying to say is i need to buy seperate eq other than the eq on the head unit 0r by a seperate crossover for the horns alone or just buy the 8" koda drivers with no cross over-horns no crossover - then get buy seperate eq's for both horn and midbass driver

Bobyota
11-27-2004, 11:14 PM
200 or 2000? i have yet to hear a midbass driver not be able to play above 500. it just has a dip at 200 hz(most drivers do in car). you cant run horns without an eq anyway nothing shown from that graph suggests it cant do it. my set up set "flat" was 100db at 20 hz then went all crazy from there, but the thing about horns once you get it just about right you dont really ever have to do much if any more tweaking to play any type of music you want. always has a TON of energy. why are you selling your horns squeak? soon as i get situated im going to get horns again either usd super A's or make my own.

Looks like almost a 15 db drop starting at about 200 hz and going down to 300. Doesn't catch up till 800 hz, seems like you'd have to do some drastic eq'ing to me, and could you even get it close to flat?

I'd like to hear from someone who's actually used these yet, but haven't seen anyone using them.

squeak9798
11-27-2004, 11:26 PM
Looks like almost a 15 db drop starting at about 200 hz and going down to 300. Doesn't catch up till 800 hz, seems like you'd have to do some drastic eq'ing to me, and could you even get it close to flat?

They don't tell you if that's on-axis of off-axis. If it's off-axis, then aiming them more on-axis may help get rid of that drop

Bobyota
11-27-2004, 11:33 PM
They don't tell you if that's on-axis of off-axis. If it's off-axis, then aiming them more on-axis may help get rid of that drop

Well that's an "if", but they do say it's a great midbass driver to be crossed over at 300-600 hz to a midrange. Sounds like they are not recomending it for midrange, and the graphs don't seem to make it look good above 200 hz. It looks like it'd be a killer midbass driver, but also looks like it needs to be in a 3 way setup. I'd maybe try to fit an 8 into my door if it offered great midbass and could be used 2 way.

audiolife
11-27-2004, 11:55 PM
actually adire says you can cross it over as hi as 2k with great results. my idq 8's i had played with a dip around there too, besides that a perfect flat response *****.