PDA

View Full Version : 2 way, 3 way speakers?

Professor Fate
11-26-2004, 03:45 PM
can someone tell me the differance between 2 and 3 way speakers. Which one should I get?

squeak9798
11-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Depends; are you talking about co-axials or components.....it may have different meanings :)

For components, 3-way means that there is a tweeter, a dedicated midrange and a dedicated midbass. 2-ways just have tweets and a single mid that plays both midrange and midbass. Each have their advantages and disadvantages.

For co-axials, it's basically just a marketing tool :D 3-way for co-axials usually means that either it has the mid, tweeter and "super-tweeter", or it has a mid, small crappy midrange, and tweeter. 2-way just has the mid and tweeter.

dan7532
11-26-2004, 03:56 PM
3-way co-axials seem absolutely pointless to me. They have a mid-bass that is the right size, but then they have a really tiny "midrange" and a really tiny "tweeter" sqeezed into a space that should just hold one larger tweeter. Just go with 2-ways if you are going for co-axials. You get a mid-bass that is the right size and a tweeter that's the right size. But I'm a newbie and haven't had a chance to listen to speakers enough to tell the difference. I'm just going off of looks so don't take me too seriously.