PDA

View Full Version : Boston Acoustic Pro (Z series) or Rainbow Profi Vanadium?

jonb5150
11-26-2004, 09:00 AM
Which is a better SQ and overall SPL comp set??

squeak9798
11-26-2004, 09:16 AM
I haven't heard the Profi's....but those Z6 are AWESOME!

3.5Max6spd
11-26-2004, 10:44 AM
The Vanadium tweet is very smooth, and I'm no fan of a metallic tweet- but this one is done right and doesn't have the annoying characteristics and freq spikes that I normally dislike-I have not heard the standard mid that comes with the Vanadium set, only the Kick Bass edition-which speaks for itself- this set can take 180rms per Rainbow's recommendation, many have been known to run 200-300rms w/ conservative gains- they sound just great with as little as 85-100rms to the passives as well

6spdcoupe has this set , you may want to inquire some more about them through someone who has it- he's run them both passive and active

The Z6's require upwards of 100 rms to get any kind of balanced sound from them IMO- they are more powerhungry- I've heard them only w/ ~80 rms and the midbass response was pretty non existant in comparison to the tweet, which was hella loud and detailed) I believe these can take 300rms, so fuller sound from those mids can be expected w/ a hefty amount of power

probmxstyle
11-26-2004, 03:07 PM
They actually take 400 watts like the Pro series.

squeak9798
11-26-2004, 03:14 PM
They actually take 400 watts like the Pro series.

And let me tell you....the Pro's could scream with 400w per side; that's what I had running to them in my car :) But the Z6's sound so much better than the Pro's.

jonb5150
11-27-2004, 01:05 AM
And let me tell you....the Pro's could scream with 400w per side; that's what I had running to them in my car :) But the Z6's sound so much better than the Pro's.

Well I am designing the system for my friend's mercedes slk 350 which he wont even have till feburary of 05(gives me some time for the research). He listens primarily to (c)rap music and he wants a fast/hard hitting speaker and I am well familiar with the boston's and at least to me they sound to be lacking midrange punch no matter what model so i figure maybe the profi vanadium kickbass rainbows would be more adequate to his liking. Perhaps focal utopias or even morells. Any Opinions?

3.5Max6spd
11-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Well I am designing the system for my friend's mercedes slk 350 which he wont even have till feburary of 05(gives me some time for the research). He listens primarily to (c)rap music and he wants a fast/hard hitting speaker and I am well familiar with the boston's and at least to me they sound to be lacking midrange punch no matter what model so i figure maybe the profi vanadium kickbass rainbows would be more adequate to his liking. Perhaps focal utopias or even morells. Any Opinions?

At the level of comps you are speaking of, any of those set could make someone a happy camper, particularly in a solid car as the benz- it would be ideal to take a day trip and try to hear these first hand- least you could do if spending this kind of $$ into a long term investment, specially if you have the time to shop around

mdma
11-30-2004, 08:19 PM
I like the Rainbow Profi Vanadium myself. Be sure and get the kickbass version.

^-^

Alpine CDA-9815
11-30-2004, 09:17 PM
Boston Z's, truly amazing components.

jonb5150
11-30-2004, 10:11 PM

Looks like we're going to probably go with focal utopia series comps in front, 2 brax amps to power them with rear fill and a 10" brahma MK2 in the front passenger size built into the floor. Deck will be the alpine touch screen Dva-900(i think)

audiolife
12-01-2004, 02:08 AM
if you like midbass heavy type sounds dynaaudios are sweet
http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=270&1=271&3=1262 but as with anything install and tweeking is the most important. im not a huge fan of regular speakers. im more used to big horn drivers and 8's but now im stuck with my jl audio 3 way set lol. another speaker thats pretty good that noone mentions much are the memphis multi syncs. most people get wowed by a huge price tag european brand speaker. me on the other hand if i cant shut my eyes and forget im in a car while listening to it i think it *****. oz is another speaker i like but is pretty mellow compared to alot of the others

mdma
12-02-2004, 02:52 AM
Looks like we're going to probably go with focal utopia series comps in front, 2 brax amps to power them with rear fill and a 10" brahma MK2 in the front passenger size built into the floor. Deck will be the alpine touch screen Dva-900(i think)
Excellent choice!