PDA

View Full Version : building components

analogkid
11-25-2004, 09:36 PM
i want to build a 3 way set of components to replace my front speakers. i will probably be buying dayton or vifa speakers from parts express. what i need to know is when i look at individual speakers from the same line, the power handling of the 6.5" are generally higher than the 4" and right down the line to the tweeters. is this because it takes more power to create midbass than mids and so on for highs? second, would i be correct in assuming an active crossover would be better than passive? any suggestions for crossover? i will be using the same three alpine amps i have now ( flex series- 40x4 or 80x2 rms).

analogkid
11-26-2004, 02:41 AM
I know this question is complicated, but i also know there ARE people who know an amazing amount of **** here on this board. I also know i dont post much but thats because I'm reading and learning here. (which alot more people should do) Nonetheless someone has to have some insight to this. Someone here has to have built a 2 or 3 way front soundstage of their own. All i need is some guidelines or a direction to where i can learn about this and do it right. I can't fathom the possibility that noone can answer the few honest questions ive asked here. This isn't directed at anyone specific.

boister77
11-26-2004, 03:03 AM
don't know much about building a custom set of components, but i do know that a active crossover is better than a passive crossover. an active crossover is better because it gives you the option to fine tune your system. since it's hard sometimes to have all speakers close to each other, the active crossover can help overcome the distances between the speakers by adjusting the steepness/slpoe of the crossover.

squeak9798
11-26-2004, 08:48 AM
Active's aren't necessarily "better" in an overall sense......but active's are generally much easier to use in circumstances like this. So yes, I would probably go with an active xover. For xovers, it really depends on how much you have to spend. It's always nice to have an active xover with variable, selectable slope.....but sometimes those are hard to find. If possible, see if you can find a Coustic Design Reference DX-28....great xover, old school though so they rarily come up for sale. Other than that, the regular Coustic XM series xovers are good, Tru Technology F1 is good, Linear Power X03 is great (and can be modded by TIPS for an upgrade :) ), US Amps US-X3 is good. Of, if you are sick of your current HU, you could upgrade to one of those with the built in 3-way xovers (Pioneer 860MP, Alpine 9831-9835, Eclipse 8454 or 8053, etc etc). Stay away from anything Audiocontrol that requires those resistor packs (chips)....total pain in the *** when trying to dial in the xover points.

analogkid
11-26-2004, 01:21 PM
thanks for the input. now all i gotta do is decide which drivers im gonna go with. cheers