PDA

View Full Version : Box size question in general...

dedfrog
11-24-2004, 06:50 PM
I have a 92' Volkswagen Jetta, and as you may know Jetta's have enourmous trunk space. And what better way to take advantage of this space than a huge box. What would be the advantage of using an oversized box, say in the 10-15 cubes range and how do they affect subwoofer performance, sealed and ported?

Gauntlet
11-24-2004, 09:48 PM
Depends on many things, don't use a big box just because you can. What sub(s)? How much power? Is it for daily driving or competition use?

Also, remember as box size increases, power handling decreases.

dedfrog
11-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Well, I was thinking a XXX 18 or a Brahma 15. It would be a daily driver. I have a 90 amp alternator which isnt the biggest alt in the world, so that's another reason I opt for a huge box, because the brahma 15 would need less than 500 watts to reach xmax in a box that big... but that is in a sealed box, what about ported?

ilovesplandsq
11-27-2004, 04:49 AM
Having a larger enclosure than what is required by the drivers specificastions is nothing shorty of detramental.

Different drivers possess different attributes that co-relate with the the enclosures around and behind them. If you use a larger than what is specified enclosure you are not going to gain anything except limited cone control, less power handling resulting ion distorsion and less SPL.

Find out what the box cubic dimensions are and go from there. If you want a bigger enclosure to fill in some space, why not build a bigger enclosuer around a smaller enclsure???

BASS OUTLAW
11-27-2004, 09:18 AM
goin bigger Sealed is a bad thing for me,
am pushin this sub with 700 rms, and its rated 700rms, and yet, this sub is in 2cuft , (rec 1.5 cuft) its a 12".
now from excessive excursion the wire from terminal to the voice coil came out :(
next box will be 1 cuft sealed.

Gauntlet
11-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Having a larger enclosure than what is required by the drivers specificastions is nothing shorty of detramental.

Different drivers possess different attributes that co-relate with the the enclosures around and behind them. If you use a larger than what is specified enclosure you are not going to gain anything except limited cone control, less power handling resulting ion distorsion and less SPL.

Find out what the box cubic dimensions are and go from there. If you want a bigger enclosure to fill in some space, why not build a bigger enclosuer around a smaller enclsure???

This is one of the weirdest things I've ever read on this forum.