PDA

View Full Version : Need a few more DB's...HELP!!

jimmyslide
11-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Here's my situation. I got beat at a DBdrag event last weekend and I don't like losing so I need to be louder. Need and little tricks or ideas that might work with my below setup. Mainly box ideas. If anyone is hitting decent with pioneer subs shout at me so we can talk. Adding more power in the near future, just don't wanna place second at another event, need more trophies to keep me company at night. :imdama:

Shawn...

InhumanAcura
11-23-2004, 03:49 PM
What subs and amp...Its a 88 mustang? is it a notch or hatchback?

jimmyslide
11-23-2004, 03:56 PM
in the sig...it is a hatch. right now I have the subs firing upward at the glass and the port on the driver side firing upward as well. running two boxes, both peak around 57, which the car seems to like. might be turning to a vr2000d for comps.

Randy Savage
11-23-2004, 03:59 PM
http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread.php?t=39716

InhumanAcura
11-23-2004, 04:00 PM
How many cubes? How much port, whats the port legnth?
You got a pic?

Whats your max dimensions for height, w, l to stay in street?

swimfreak26
11-23-2004, 04:00 PM
If you've got a meter to play around with somewhere try a slightly larger box...maybe different port area? Easiest would be to face the box different directions although that won't increase it that much.

jimmyslide
11-23-2004, 04:05 PM
moved the box around a lot, and the best place is farthest to the back driver side corner. have access to a meter and have tried 3 different boxes. between 2-3 cuft. all posted very very similar numbers, within .2 db of each other. trying to post pics of the box but they won't load, sorry guys, and thanks for the suggestions.

Inside dimensions - 26x22.5x9.5
Port - 22.5x3
Port Length - 16.75
45 angles on all corners, moves quite a bit of air too.

to stay in street A, I can go no higher, but I can to 36 wide and about 48 deep, maybe even a little deeper.

InhumanAcura
11-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Send me a PM, whats the mounting depth on the subs your using?

jimmyslide
11-23-2004, 04:09 PM
And just for reference snova, did the duct tape trick and gained .2 db. also ran some pvc along side the port and gained another .2db. Frickin' duct tape! :clap:

req
11-23-2004, 04:14 PM
why not tune the box a little higher? say 55? if the car likes 57 (and this is the cars resonant) from what ive read, its been the best to turn a few hz below cabin resonance.

maybe a port hood would be in good order? this is the only picture that made me think about it. i forget who has the SExxx 10 in the truck, but this is what i *think* he uses to gain a few db's - but he wont say, and this is the only thing i could think of when he was talking to somone (squeak?) a while back in a thread of his. reminds me of a grand piano top... maybe it reflects the bass or somthing.

this is the hifonics truck;
http://www.asterixband.com/andy/pictures/hood.jpg

i dont exactally know how it works, but i could imagine its not hard to try. and make sure its braced well, and try and 45 all the inside corners. make sure you got tons of port area - prolly at least eqal to cone area. wall = best. and make sure everything is properly deadend (i know you prolly know this stuff, but its gotta be said :p: )

jimmyslide
11-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Wierd...never heard of the hood before, similar to the duct tape in the fact that I am not sure how the hell it works, but it does.

jimmyslide
11-23-2004, 04:29 PM
port is as smooth as a babies bottom, all sanded and curved. Problem with that box is that I can't fit the subs facing forward like that to stay below the window line. I believe that would put me in street max.

the 67.5" of port area is for both subs. single chamber box with one 22.5x3" port.

InhumanAcura
11-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Sometimes the 45's will do more harm than good.

Clean out your PM box.....

Nikuk
11-23-2004, 04:59 PM
why not tune the box a little higher? say 55? if the car likes 57 (and this is the cars resonant) from what ive read, its been the best to turn a few hz below cabin resonance.
make sure you got tons of port area - prolly at least eqal to cone area .... and make sure everything is properly deadend (i know you prolly know this stuff, but its gotta be said :p: )

Not all vehicles like just below the resonant freq.
Not all subs, cars, frequencies like tons of port area. alot of street a installs run small enclosures with less the 10^2 per cube.
and you cannot stack up an inch of deadener in street classes.

jimmyslide
11-23-2004, 06:26 PM
yeah, not sure about the 45's. I didn't get a chance to test the box without them. I just had enough time to throw them in there and go to the competition.