View Full Version : Waterproof?

11-21-2004, 12:17 PM
Hey all! I am building a blow through in my Ranger using fiberglass. Since anbout 3 inches of it will be exposed to the weather does it need to be primed and painted or is fiberglass waterproof? :titanic:

11-21-2004, 12:20 PM
your truck bed and cab are designed so that there is room for the bed to twist one way and the cab to twist another --you may want to consider that this could cause you to crack your fiberglass work if that situation arose--they make these big rubber boot type thing specifically designed for that use.

11-21-2004, 12:22 PM
yea, use the rubber boot. YOu go over a hefty bump and your truck twists a little and crack goes the figerglass.

:needpics: on your progress.

BTW - Bones i should have your amp one tuesday.

11-21-2004, 12:30 PM
yea, use the rubber boot. YOu go over a hefty bump and your truck twists a little and crack goes the figerglass.

:needpics: on your progress.

BTW - Bones i should have your amp one tuesday.

cool man let me know.

11-21-2004, 12:35 PM
cool man let me know.
alright. I will surely do.

11-21-2004, 12:43 PM
O OK Well were do i get one of those? Any info on them?

11-21-2004, 07:12 PM
one of my friends did a blow thru on an s-10, and he welded pieces of metal from the cab to the bed...it split the cab on both sides all the way up. hehehe it was kinda funny

11-22-2004, 04:15 PM
Well ne one got some advice on how to do it? :censored:

11-23-2004, 01:55 AM
go to your local hardware shop and ask.

11-23-2004, 08:05 AM
But what do i ask for?

11-23-2004, 08:58 AM
rubber baby buggy bumper.


11-23-2004, 10:32 AM
lol i was just gonna cut the bed part 2" or so larger than the actualy cabin hole, then weld to the cabin and make little feet that rest in the bed of the truck. its dificult to figure it out. but COMMON SENSE plays a strong part here.

11-23-2004, 10:34 AM
ry to look for some heavy duty rubber piping or soething, then try to incorporate that, so you get flex and rigidity at the same time.

on't be as solid as you'd want, but how else?

Wonder where rangerman is? He's had his cut through done.

11-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Call around to your local RV parts places. They will have what you're looking for. Just tell them it's the 'rubber accordian style material that goes in between a truck and a trailer to seal out the water". They should know exactly what you need..if not, hang up and try another place.

11-23-2004, 06:04 PM
ok will try thank you...what about this , it might not work i dunno: :stuck:

cut both holes in cab and bed, fiberglass to the hole i the bed and then cover the hole in the cab with silicone or weatherstripingand fiber glass to that...will this work or have i driven off the enginerring cliff??

11-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Alright... how bout this I found some rubber tubing w/ 6" diameter. Would i be able put like 5 of those across the back of my truck and then just silicone around for a good seal?

11-28-2004, 05:33 PM
^^^ :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: ^^^^^

11-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Look for an 'acordian boot'.

11-28-2004, 06:54 PM
If you called the RV places you wouldnt be trying to 'make something work'. The best solution is the accordian boot. Why dont people on these boards listen to advice?

11-28-2004, 09:10 PM
sometimes it's fun to try out another solution than the "normal" route. Hooray for monster garage

11-28-2004, 10:19 PM
Percisely.....I like to come up on with my own things but if all else fells i will get a "boot"

11-29-2004, 03:40 PM
Check this web page and select the blow-thru pics:


RV suppliers and places that do truck caps sell the boot.

11-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Just resin the outside of the box. or Jel-coat it.

11-30-2004, 04:41 PM
hit me up on aim tribalx1977 and i'll tell ya how to do it i did it to my truck it's not that hard :silly: