PDA

View Full Version : My 13kv2 ported box! (pics)

pj_chevy03
11-18-2004, 06:56 PM
I finally got through with my box for a 13kv2 for my silverado regular cab. I went through about 5-6 designs before I finally got the one here. It is a slot port that 1.75'' x 12.5'' giving it 21.875 sq.in. of port area. The port is 38 in. long and the box volume is 1.5 cu.ft. giving it a tune of 29 hertz, give a hert or two. Well here are the pics.

Just an overall shot of the box. I know the wood putty is ugly but I'm gonna carpet it.
http://img69.exs.cx/img69/1135/Dscf0008.jpg

A shot of the port. The left side of the port opening (which cant be seen in the picture) looks like a just a hole. This port bends immediately to the left causing the left side of the port only to extend down 3/4 in. It may sound wierd but the port is even all the way through even if it doesnt seem like it would be. It's like a bend in the port on the long side of the port instead of the short side, if that makes any sense.
http://img69.exs.cx/img69/8692/Dscf6.jpg

Here you can see the port from inside the box. The center of the box where the port opens is to the right. Far back in the picture is the left side of the box with the port making a bend back toward the center of the box with the end of the port inside the box having to be sanded to an edge to clear the front baffle. Very tight fit I must say.
http://img69.exs.cx/img69/818/Dscf8.jpg

So give me some opinions on my box i designed and built. I can't wait to get my 13kv2 at Christmas!

InhumanAcura
11-18-2004, 07:08 PM
How did you get 38" of port legnth?

LBX2G
11-18-2004, 08:28 PM
yeah by the calculator on the audiobahn website it is about 28hz assuming that the cubic feet u gave me is internal.

ngsm13
11-18-2004, 08:32 PM
yeah, i don't understand...you can't end that port!?!?!?!? peace

NG

InhumanAcura
11-18-2004, 08:46 PM
yeah by the calculator on the audiobahn website it is about 28hz assuming that the cubic feet u gave me is internal.

Thats not what I was asking really....Im trying to figure out where the port bends and opens. Looks about the height of the box just by looking at it...

pj_chevy03
11-18-2004, 09:09 PM
O.K. lets see if I an explain this.

The box's height is 14 in. which makes the internal height 12.5 in. My port area is 1.75'' x 12.5. So basicly the top of the box forms the top wall of the port, the back wall of the box forms the back wall of the port, and the bottom wall of the box,guess what, forms the bottom wall of the port. The reason I did this was so I wouldnt waste the internal vomlume with extra wood to form the port. I wanted it to form a port with just a on "extra" wall. When you look directly down on the port the right wall of the port (which can be seen from the inside of the box in the third picture on the right) goes all the way down to the bottom of the box, but the wall on the left side of the port opening only extends down 3/4 in. (the thickness of the top piece of the box). The reason? The port needs to be 1.75'' x 12.5''. Just think of it this way: it is port bend right at the end of the port opening on the outside of the box the opposite way you would normally bend a port.

The port then continues to the left until it comes 1.75 in. away from the left wall. The second port bend (which can be seen in picture three) then uses the left wall (which is the wall far back in pic3) to make the port come straight back toward the center. I know it looks like the port wall inside the box goes alll the way to the back wall in the pic but it comes 1.75'' from touching it. The thing that looks like a dowel stick is actually a wall for the port. It is the port wall that makes the bend on the left side of the box and route the port back towards the camera. The wall that looks like a dowel ( the one that is pointed where it was sanded to clear the front wall of the box) is the end of the port inside the box.

wheewwwwwwwwww

I'll put up some drawing of what goin on in there tomorrow if I have the time, because i know this is hard to understand.

Moe Lester
11-18-2004, 09:11 PM
you do realise you need a fairly large 45 degree angle in your port. Otherwise, at the bend its about 17-18 inches wide at the point where it bends.

InhumanAcura
11-18-2004, 09:23 PM
you do realise you need a fairly large 45 degree angle in your port. Otherwise, at the bend its about 17-18 inches wide at the point where it bends.

Port restriction, pfffff. Its not like it'll take 1.3db off your score :rolleyes:

inside joke :p:

pj_chevy03
11-18-2004, 09:33 PM
So I guess yall understand what I did now?

And what do you mean the port would be 17 in wide?

Moe Lester
11-18-2004, 09:55 PM
where the blue line is the port is essentially 17.5 inches wide

pj_chevy03
11-18-2004, 10:24 PM
Every 45 degree angle would have that happen. I dont think it would make a big difference in tuning and whatnot. Anyone else have an opinion.

And if it does sound bad i'll just pop a little triangle down there and see how she flows.

Moe Lester
11-18-2004, 10:28 PM
its such a large difference though. 17.5" vs 12"

pj_chevy03
11-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Well I'll see how it goes Dec. 25. :thumbsup: