PDA

View Full Version : Shocking news about xxx comps

Bigrick31
11-18-2004, 04:44 PM
THERE ARNT ANY!!!! well there are 6.5 drivers just no tweeters or xovers. they said that there were so many people who only wanted the 6.5 and do a DIY job so they are just selling the xxx 6.5 but they said if you did want a whole component package that they could give you a deal on the RE tweets and xovers.
so the new total for the xxx drivers are 249 shipped. prices may vary a little as that is to my hous. they also said that the recomended enclosure was .25 for ported and tuned to 60hz

jujumantb
11-18-2004, 04:46 PM
$249 for JUST the pair of mids? Suckers better perform :cool:

Bigrick31
11-18-2004, 04:53 PM
seems reasonable since the whole set was gunna cost around 400. looks like ima be the guinea pig and tel everyone how they are. maybe ill make little boxs for them untill i get my dorr pannels fiberglassed.

tRiGgEr
11-18-2004, 05:01 PM
That is so retarded having to port little 6.5 speakers. That takes away from most anyone who is not skilled in the art of installation.

Not to mention most people don't like chopping there cars up to accomidate a door speaker.

Bigrick31
11-18-2004, 05:03 PM
i guess thats why they make the RE comps

tRiGgEr
11-18-2004, 05:14 PM
i guess thats why they make the RE comps

But what about the normal guy who wants an awsome product with little skill required. Guess they can sacrafice and get the Re comp or look else where. I'm just sayin thats not the smartest move for RE. But then again I don't work for them do I :banghead:

cobra65427289
11-18-2004, 05:16 PM
so why even get the xxx mid if you can get an extremis for 89? near or even better performance at a fraction of the cost. and it uses neo :thumbupw:

al

supa_c
11-18-2004, 08:30 PM
Extremis is only in 8 ohms
Adire isnt making them 4 ohm any time soon

ngsm13
11-18-2004, 09:28 PM

well, what can you do if you end up getting a tweeter (possibly 8ohms also) and a x-over. Would tht bring er down to 4ohm...peace

NG

Expy2000
11-18-2004, 09:31 PM
$249 for JUST the pair of mids? Suckers better perform :cool:

Better perform and tell time too.. ****.. I think I will keep my Focals..

Bring97
11-18-2004, 10:30 PM
hmm mi might just have to pick up a set of these then, i already have the xover and tweet so im half way there...

I want SExxx
11-18-2004, 10:37 PM
they are offering the xxx's alone but they're also offering the complete set. Its 400 and not the same tweet and xover as the re comp set. The tweeters are going to be a lot better not as harsh as on the re set. Also they're putting a stiffer spider on the 6.5's so they will work w/o an enclosure now....this is as of today when I talked to RE.

Bigrick31
11-18-2004, 10:37 PM
acatually im not sure what extremis is. i know its a mid obviously but you say its pretty awesome. i think we need to get squeak in here he seems to know about them and the xxx. cuz if they are gunna be way better then i dont see any need to waste my money

Bigrick31
11-18-2004, 10:53 PM
they are offering the xxx's alone but they're also offering the complete set. Its 400 and not the same tweet and xover as the re comp set. The tweeters are going to be a lot better not as harsh as on the re set. Also they're putting a stiffer spider on the 6.5's so they will work w/o an enclosure now....this is as of today when I talked to RE.

See now when i called i asked if they even made a set of tweets and xovers for the xxx set and they said no. i could only get the re tweets and xovers. that was when i called them at 3:00 today. i wish they would make up their minds and get their stuff straight.

2kchevy06civic
11-18-2004, 11:53 PM
See, I was going to look into buying these....but I'm not very skilled at doing custom stuff. I've made a box for my sub, but that's about it. I don't feel like paying a shop to build a custom enclosure for them either. Whenever you get them, get some PICS asap and tell us how they perform. :thumbsup:

Bigrick31
11-18-2004, 11:57 PM
well after hearing all this im not so sure if im gunna get them. if i can get a ton better for lot less then i might as well save myself the money.

RandyJ
11-19-2004, 12:18 AM
so why even get the xxx mid if you can get an extremis for 89? near or even better performance at a fraction of the cost. and it uses neo :thumbupw:

al

You've heard the extremis in an actual application? And compared it to the XXX woofers also? Wow, fill us in on some good details, how were they...

Bigrick31
11-19-2004, 01:37 AM
err im in a rutt. i have no idea what to get anymore. now im just lost and confused

RandyJ
11-19-2004, 03:26 AM
Here is some advice, don't take advice when buying something from people who have never heard a product or used it.

Im not sayin Cobra or anyone else hasn't but a lot of people are going off of hear say or just thought, if you are on a tight budget, go with Adire, if you have the money, get the XXX's, if you want, why not try something else? It's all up to you, but remember, listening prefrence is like an *******, everyone has a different one.

RandyJ
11-19-2004, 03:28 AM
And also, others pointed out something that is not subjective, the fact that the XXX's require a massive ammount of space, remember that when planning, do you want to rebuild your door to acomidate those?

supa_c
11-19-2004, 03:33 AM
The Extremis mid doesnt need an enclosure from what i gather like the XXX mid does.
Now that right there is a good point.
Making a pod for your door prob isnt to fun

Bigrick31
11-19-2004, 04:04 AM
well so far i think supa is talking me into the Extremis. although i dont mind doing my doorpannels. guy who did my steering wheel tv is gunna hook me up. ima call adire tomorrow. get some info talk to squeak hopefully about a DIY setup weather i go with the xxx or the Extremis . well just have to wate and see.

newb
11-19-2004, 06:58 AM
Love your sig cobra65427289 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3.5Max6spd
11-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Weren't there people that preordered the actual SET? If so what are they getting? the xxx mid with RE tweets/crossover? weird....

squeak9798
11-19-2004, 09:48 AM
well, what can you do if you end up getting a tweeter (possibly 8ohms also) and a x-over. Would tht bring er down to 4ohm...peace

NG

No....then you would have two 8ohm speakers.

8ohm doesn't really matter that much. If you think about it, even theoretically that difference (on the same amp) between 4ohm and 8ohm is 3db, and that doesn't take into account power compression and such. In all honesty, you might not even hear the difference between a 4ohm driver and an 8ohm driver on the same amp. It all depends, but it for sure isn't going to be a "night and day" difference.

I'm really kinda debating between the XXX mids and the Extremis mids :confused: I'd like to try out the XXX mids because, well, they look cool (always a bonus :p: ), but the Extremis are cheaper :(

IDEA :idea: Everyone donate money to me, and I'll buy both and write up reviews!

But like I stated before, from the objective data via the Klippel Measurement System done at CES, the XXX's should perform.....but perform $100 better than the Extremis? I dunno. And that doesn't take into account subjective opinions from consumers (which is why you guys should buy me both :D So I can review them)

req
11-19-2004, 10:58 AM
so how many $5 bills would it take to get squeak both sets?

XXX mids = $260 (shipped)
adire mids = $~$185\pair (shipped)

thats 89 people. well. ****. thats alot of people.

Bobyota
11-19-2004, 02:20 PM
What's this about RE changing things up to make the mid work better for IB? I remember reading that the XXX would not be an improvement or much of an improvement over the RE in an IB application :titanic:

Now I'm pretty sure I read the Extremis wanted an enclosure as well.

As others have pointed out, an enclosure is not in the cards for a lot of us. We need some honest answers as to how these mids will perform w/o an enclosure....now someone go find out :thumbsup: :p

UndercoverPunk
11-19-2004, 02:53 PM
A ported enclosure for mids... That's alot of time for designing that enclosure and alot of detailed Fiberglassing... I thought they just needed a sealed enclosure... ****...

InhumanAcura
11-19-2004, 06:40 PM

Isnt the XXX mid 2ohms?

supa_c
11-19-2004, 06:44 PM
I dont have the slightest clue

mattj
11-19-2004, 07:56 PM
I only wanted the XXX 6.5s alone anyways.
:D

Bigrick31
11-19-2004, 10:27 PM
ok the xxx mids can be in either ported or sealed enclosures abd the extremis mids can be in free air or you can put them in an enclosure. im not exactly sure what is going to happen to people who pre ordered the xxx components.

No....then you would have two 8ohm speakers.

how come i couldnt take 2 8 ohm speakers and treat them as if they were say 1 dvc 8 0hm speaker and wire them to 4 ohms? i just wanna do that so that way they would be more compatable with more amps.

squeak9798
11-19-2004, 11:22 PM
how come i couldnt take 2 8 ohm speakers and treat them as if they were say 1 dvc 8 0hm speaker and wire them to 4 ohms? i just wanna do that so that way they would be more compatable with more amps.

You're taking it out of context. You (I believe) are talking about two mids, correct? The comment you quoted from me was a question about an 8ohm tweeter and a (I presumed passive) crossover. An 8ohm tweeter and an 8ohm mid on a passive crossover isn't 4ohm, it's two 8ohm speakers.

But yes, you can wire two mids in parallel if you so chose to make a 4ohm load. But like I said before, don't do it just so that you can have a 4ohm load. 8ohm IS compatible with just about every amp on the market, with the exception of maybe one or two very esoteric amps that you would never own anyways. You guys are way too hung up on this 8ohm thing......it isn't a big deal at all, it isn't even an issue. Any amp that is rated 100-200w/channel @ 4ohm will work great for the Extremis (that is per Dan Wiggins). The "benefit" of having 4ohms (it's not even a benefit really) IMO is going to be outweighed by the possible phasing issues of having two mids per side.