PDA

View Full Version : opinions on a weird set up

pks71
11-17-2004, 09:34 PM
I have a focus and am about to start a install. It will consist of old school rockford f 4" mid range(rfr1404), rock f. neo.tweets. These will be installed in the smallest possible enclosure and mounted on the dash at equal distance to my ears. Kinda like your computer speaker locations. So that means the right speaker will be in the middle of the dash! yes im crazy. Anyways, I would like to know at what freq. should I cross the 4" at? This is what I'm thinking Subs(20-80)...gap...midrange(150-3k), tweets(3k-20k). Does that sound about right? As I want the midrange to play fairly low almost to the point of stereo separation. If this is ok I will need a midbass to fill the gap. How about a jl 6w0 mounted under the seat in an encloser? As for ampfifiers, I have a bounch of them and am not sure what I will use. Opinions are greatly appreciated but Please be specific.

squeak9798
11-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Well, your soundstage is going to be VERY narrow, and it will sound like poop from any location other than the drivers seat. Imaging will be right in front of you, instead of the middle of the dash where it is supposed to be. Overall, IMO it's a bad idea to put the 4's/tweets where you plan on putting them. But, more power to you.

If you can get the 4's to play down to 150hz, I doubt they'll do it with any kind of authority. You'll definitely need a good solid midbass to bridge the gap and fill in the missing midbass impact.

Midbass is in stereo, hence you'll need two of them. Putting one under your seat isn't really going to cut it.

If you want some 4's that play low, check out the Creative Sounds WR125S: http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=WR125S - "Full range" driver, XBL^2 motor, and 6mm Xmax (:drool: ).... http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/WR125S.PDF

DarrenE46
11-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Dude, why do you want to setup your car like this? Its not going to be worth the effort.

pks71
11-18-2004, 05:43 PM
When I'm sitting at my computer the speakers are in this position and it sounds great! Stereo separation is great and the sound is directly in front of me, where I would prefere it. What freq. is mid bass? Although opinions have been neg I apreciate them. Any other opinions?

squeak9798
11-18-2004, 05:52 PM
When I'm sitting at my computer the speakers are in this position and it sounds great! Stereo separation is great and the sound is directly in front of me, where I would prefere it. What freq. is mid bass? Although opinions have been neg I apreciate them. Any other opinions?

Rule #1; a car is not your house. It is very, very, very hard to replicate results attained from your house in your car. That said, one of the reasons it sounds so great is because the speakers are the same distance from your hears, as you already know. Your theory of wanting the speakers in your car equidistant from your ears is great; your implementation was the problem :) Kickpanels are the answer my friend ;) That's why they were "invented" (utilized), to move the speakers as close as possible to being an equal distance from you.

Midbass is generally considered to be about ~300-350hz and down to ~60-70hz, where the subbass region starts.

Another reason home stereo's sound so much better is because of the reduced reflections. Keep that in mind when you are considering putting them on top of the dash, reflecting off of the windshield, dash, etc etc. That's another advantage of kickpanels; easier to manipulate and/or reduce reflections.

bonesninja
11-18-2004, 05:56 PM
those 6w0's should work just fine --their highest range is right around 250 tho but they play it with authority.

Scarenius
11-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Wouldn't it have to be set to pick up right where your subs leave off? I mean, if you have your sub's crossover set to 60 hz like mine, wouldn't you need a midbass driver that plays down to 60hz?

Just tossing random questions.

pks71
11-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Wouldn't it have to be set to pick up right where your subs leave off? I mean, if you have your sub's crossover set to 60 hz like mine, wouldn't you need a midbass driver that plays down to 60hz?

Just tossing random questions.

Thats what I intend to do. The midbass would play about 80~250 or so.

Exaran
11-20-2004, 09:59 PM
another thing to consider is that the sound from the left is going to reflect off the drivers window (which will make it sound a little louder), and the right one wont be reflecting off anything from the side.

You can test this with your computer speakers... just set up in a corner with one wall running next to you like the door of the car would. You'll hear a difference in the 2 speakers

pks71
11-21-2004, 12:42 AM
another thing to consider is that the sound from the left is going to reflect off the drivers window (which will make it sound a little louder), and the right one wont be reflecting off anything from the side.

You can test this with your computer speakers... just set up in a corner with one wall running next to you like the door of the car would. You'll hear a difference in the 2 speakers
good point! I'll have to keep the window down! lol
This is more of an experiment that I've always wanted to do. I've had speakers in all sorts of different locations. But this set up I've never tried. I still think its going to sound great.
keep the thoughts comin!