PDA

View Full Version : Figuring out port tuning of a premade enclosure

BoominBeast
11-15-2004, 07:35 AM
I was looking around my freinds basement and found a near mint box. its around 2.5 cubes. the sub it pampered was a peerless from the early ninties. I took that and the built in amp out. i have a nice box and want to use it.

I just wanted to know how i could figure out the tuning of the port.
Is it relative to its length?

req
11-15-2004, 08:48 AM
tell us the height\width\depth of the port (if rectangular) or the diamater\length of the port. get me the model number of that peerless (or the T\S paramaters) and ill figure what it will be *roughly* at 2.5cubes. :)

not too hard a'tall.

BoominBeast
11-15-2004, 10:52 AM
well, the box is 16 x 16 x 16.
the diameter of the port is 3 inches. I assumed the length of the port to be 10 inches. i measured this using the length of my thumb to pinkie. So it is not exact and may be off.

Just by looking at it the port may be tuned around the mid 20's. Im hoping im wrong. I would like it to be along the mid to high 30's.

I will have the exact measurements in a few hours or so.

req
11-15-2004, 11:15 AM
what sub? and how thick is the wood? 3\4"?

so itd be 14.5*14.5*14.5 internaly - port\sub displacements.

i need to know what woofer that is and how much volume it takes up.

BoominBeast
11-15-2004, 12:05 PM
The sub is a peerless 10( not sure exact model) but will find out. Its not DVC. There is a label on the box with the year 1992. So its a pretty old sub. The mdf is 3/4 inch thick. The box is covered with an onyx black finishing. Its a very solid enclosure( looks ans feels brand new)
I took the sub out. It was connected to an internal amp which was located in the box right behind the in/out terminals.

Req, i will go get the sub now to tell u the model number and get correct measurements.
Thanks

req
11-15-2004, 01:23 PM
k sweet.

//edit

just FYI

a peerless XLS-10 in 1.5 cubic feet with a 3x10" port will be tuned to about 32hz.

in my oppinion it is better to be tuned low. better SQ, but not quite as loud as mid-upper 30's :thumbsup: