PDA

View Full Version : Quick RE8 Question

bitwise
11-14-2004, 10:53 AM
I am building a downfiring box for under the back seat of an extended cab GMC Sierra, and was wondering how much space the speaker will need between it and the floor.

Thanks,
Dave

bonesninja
11-14-2004, 11:06 AM
I am building a downfiring box for under the back seat of an extended cab GMC Sierra, and was wondering how much space the speaker will need between it and the floor.

Thanks,
Dave
i would say hook it up measure how far it moves at your highest listening volume then add an inch and you should be alright.

bitwise
11-14-2004, 11:10 AM
Well I dont have any amps yet hehe, and I am trying to design the box in autocad right now, so some other factors will change based on this measurement.

Thanks for the help though.. anyone else?

bonesninja
11-14-2004, 11:19 AM
well you can check the manufacturers specs particularly the XMAX-thats the max movement of the cone, should be listed as one-way movement--usually in millimeters then add like 25 mm's to that .

req
11-14-2004, 11:28 AM
just give it like 1 or 2 inches. theres no way a RE8 will move further than that unless it pops a cone.

bitwise
11-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Cool,
If I give it 1" of clearance at the bottom, and assume the sub displaces .06ft^3 it gives me exactly .217 cubes for each sealed chamber. That is right on target with the RE specs. I know some people say to give these things more space.. I will have 4 of them, do you guys think it would be ok??

bonesninja
11-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Cool,
If I give it 1" of clearance at the bottom, and assume the sub displaces .06ft^3 it gives me exactly .217 cubes for each sealed chamber. That is right on target with the RE specs. I know some people say to give these things more space.. I will have 4 of them, do you guys think it would be ok??sounds good

bitwise
11-14-2004, 01:15 PM
actually i just recalculated and realized each sub will only be getting .2108 after .06 of displacement. Does anyone know how much an RE8 displaces? I would countersink the sub into the face of the wood.