PDA

View Full Version : Building Box for First Time

diesel_kid
11-10-2004, 07:49 PM
Hey there, flame me If this has been done, but I plan on building a custom box for my Image Dynamics IDMAX 12 v.3 D4 Sub and have a few questions. From what I have gathered the material to use is 3/4 MDF but here are my questions...

1. Do angles of any of the sides matter when building a box?
2. What should I seal the joints with for a perfect seal?
3. Should I fill the box with anything such as long wool or along those lines?
4. Should I line the inside of the box with any sound deadener?
5. How do you tune your box and how do you know what to tune it to?
6. Does the height compared to the width matter, such as a tall skinny box?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

vosschs
11-11-2004, 01:18 AM
6. Does the height compared to the width matter, such as a

use wood glue then screws for the joint, then caulk later, or silicone,
you could put cotton in the box, but i dont think it matters,
no sound deadner in the inside of the box,
have others help on 5 and 6,

xchaosx
11-11-2004, 12:03 PM
ok tuneing of the box matters if your porting it. tall and skinny is fine as long as you have enough internal volume (cuft). it sounds as tho you are building a truck box are you wanting to port it or have it sealed. sealed you don't have to worry about tuning but in a sealed box that's where the polyfil (pillow stuffing ) comes into play i think it's like .5 pounds per cuft and it makes the box sound bigger then what it is it will hit lower. tuneing of a ported box all depends on that you want out of it daily driver--db dragger. daily driver 30-32hz you wanna tune it low to be more musical spl 40's tuning to be loud hope this helps

IgnoreMe
11-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Hey there, flame me If this has been done, but I plan on building a custom box for my Image Dynamics IDMAX 12 v.3 D4 Sub and have a few questions. From what I have gathered the material to use is 3/4 MDF but here are my questions...

6. Does the height compared to the width matter, such as a tall skinny box?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
1: sealed box: no . ported box: yes, because angles can affect how your port works
2: use "Liquid Nails" to get a STRONG seal between the wood and also an air tight seam
3: nah. just make the box the right size if you have the room
4: nope
5: check my sig, use the how to i made
6: nope. as long as you can make the sub fit, you can build almost any size box

req
11-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Punctuation would help.

what exactally are you trying to make your system do?

ported = louder\low(er) quality
sealed = quiet(er)\high quaity

as long as you have the right sub (yours is fine) then you can go ported and still retain great quality. port your box (if you have room, they are usually large boxes) to 30hz or so. a few cubic feet of internal volume, say about 2 or 3. and some good port area will make a great sounding box.

use wood glue\caulk\liquid nails to seal the seams, then screw ~1 1\4" drywall screws (PREDRILL THE HOLES) about 4" away from eachother on all seams.

not too hard. goodluck. look for WINSID ALPHA @ www.linearteam.com for a program that will help design your port for you. its an invalulable resource.

vosschs
11-11-2004, 01:16 PM
go ported

diesel_kid
11-11-2004, 05:03 PM
I am going to have a sealed box as I have heard and looked at charts and that is what my sub works best at and is designed for. The reason I am asking about goofy angles and tall skinny and such is because It is a 1994 Reg. Cab. Dodge so space is tight for a 12 inch.
As for the box, I think you guys have pretty much answered my questions, just fit the box to your sub and space, angles of sides and such doesnt matter, connect with 1 1/4" Screws through predrilled holes, use wood glue then seal with Silicone afterwards, and since it is a sealed box I do not need to tune it. But I am still sketchy as to should I fill the box with that stuffing or not? And also what type of joints should I connect the peices of wood with just butts, mitres, or what. Thanks guys hopefully I will get this thing built soon and post up some pictures.

Moe Lester
11-11-2004, 05:06 PM
Id go with 1 5/8" screws, 1 1/4 really doesnt go very deep into the second sheet and can strip more easily when tightening them.

you dont need any special joints on the wood, just cut and piece them together. The wood glue is strong enough that the joint becomes stronger than the wood itself.

IgnoreMe
11-11-2004, 06:07 PM
Id go with 1 5/8" screws, 1 1/4 really doesnt go very deep into the second sheet and can strip more easily when tightening them.

you dont need any special joints on the wood, just cut and piece them together. The wood glue is strong enough that the joint becomes stronger than the wood itself.
yup. use 1 5/8" at least. works better. the stuffing is only needed if you dont have enough room to make a box to specs. so lets say you got a 2ft^3 box and you need 3ft^3 then you add the polyfil (stuffing). not sure how much, you have to ask someone else. if you have the box to specs though then you dont need it. also, since your sealed, yup you just make it whatever shape you want. and lastly, like moe said, no special joints needed, the liquid nails is strong than the wood. i found that out after tryin to rip apart an old box i made and needless to say the whole **** thing broke everywhere BUT the joints...impressed the hell outta me haha

Moe Lester
11-11-2004, 06:12 PM
from what ive seen, liquid nails doesnt bond as well as wood glue does.

xchaosx
11-12-2004, 07:35 AM
i used gorilla glue last time and i have to say that's some tough **** way stronger the liquid nails

IgnoreMe
11-12-2004, 10:35 AM
from what ive seen, liquid nails doesnt bond as well as wood glue does.
hmm it did fine for me. i used the "projects" one. there is also "heavy duty" which supposedly is not a good thing to use on these projects since its bonds so fast and you need have it right the first time, no mistakes. never tried regular wood glue so i wouldnt know.