PDA

View Full Version : Building Box this weekend

LIGHTBEING
11-10-2004, 01:52 PM
Hey guys,

I'm building a box this weekend for my XXX. Just had a couple more questions :)

Do I need to put bracing inside the box and what does it actually do? What do I use? 1/2 to 1" round strips? do you just place them inside the box and sink a screw into each side from the outside of the box? Also where do I place them and how many?

I need wood glue and caulk? Do you put the glue on when you put the peices together, then screw in and then caulk the entire inside when the box is done?

3/4 MDF, should i use 1 1/4 screws? and what kinda screws, like deck screws or something? and predrilled the holes right, about 6 onches apart?

kjwiehoff
11-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Hey guys,

I'm building a box this weekend for my XXX. Just had a couple more questions :)

Do I need to put bracing inside the box and what does it actually do? What do I use? 1/2 to 1" round strips? do you just place them inside the box and sink a screw into each side from the outside of the box? Also where do I place them and how many?

I need wood glue and caulk? Do you put the glue on when you put the peices together, then screw in and then caulk the entire inside when the box is done?

3/4 MDF, should i use 1 1/4 screws? and what kinda screws, like deck screws or something? and predrilled the holes right, about 6 onches apart?

Lots-O-Questions.... Bracing keeps the box from flexing and possibly breaking. I would reccomend 3/4in. dowels. yes, you screw them in from outside the box. You probably want to do 2 vert and 2 horizon. and obviously place them out of the way of the sub and fairly close to the center. Wood glue is great! Yes, piece it together with glue, let it dry, screw it together, then seal it with what you choose. I use 1 1/4's they work great. pre drill with a countersink if you can get one. 5-6in should be good. have fun...

LIGHTBEING
11-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Thanks MAN!!!!!

What do you suggest as far as the cuts? I don't have a table saw, I only have a circular saw. Do you think Home Depot would make all the cuts for me. I heard using a circular saw isn't that great when making boxes.

Zash
11-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks MAN!!!!!

What do you suggest as far as the cuts? I don't have a table saw, I only have a circular saw. Do you think Home Depot would make all the cuts for me. I heard using a circular saw isn't that great when making boxes.
I also am in that category. I might be able to get my half-brother to cut the stuff with his table saw though...

dotorg
11-10-2004, 03:16 PM
I built mine with just hand-tools, and it had all sorts of crazy angles.

It takes a lot more attention to detail, but its doable. Straight cuts are simple -- just tack nail, clamp or screw a guide board to follow along.

vosschs
11-10-2004, 03:27 PM
MAKE SURE YOU CUT STRAIGHT CUTS, if one cut is off a little bit it ***** then you have a gap, and i usually put wood glue on the joints then screws, pre drill is nice so the wood dont split, also i put them 4 inches apart, extra precautions

LIGHTBEING
11-10-2004, 07:38 PM
Thanks guys....your very helpful.

Another question ;)

How do you actually put it together, like what peice goes onto what. I guess it really doesn't matter right?

packerfan
11-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Lots-O-Questions.... Bracing keeps the box from flexing and possibly breaking. I would reccomend 3/4in. dowels. yes, you screw them in from outside the box. You probably want to do 2 vert and 2 horizon. and obviously place them out of the way of the sub and fairly close to the center. Wood glue is great! Yes, piece it together with glue, let it dry, screw it together, then seal it with what you choose. I use 1 1/4's they work great. pre drill with a countersink if you can get one. 5-6in should be good. have fun...
Um, i wouldnt consider screwin it together after the glue is dry, then it cracks. Screws are there to hold it together while the glue drys.

LIGHTBEING
11-11-2004, 07:45 AM
Good call packerfan,

Put the glue on then screw together, right?

Also, what's the best way to fit the box together. Is there a best way or does it really matter?

I'm also doing like a bezel over the box in the trunk. To make everything look flush. Is it ok to make the cutout on the bezel(fiberboard) the same measurement
as the cut out for the sub on the box, put the bezel over the face of the box, then screw the sub into that? Will it still be air tight? And putting a double layer of MDF in the front, I should be able to just drill the screws in to that and it will be enough support to hold the sub, right?

Oh and I decided on the 15"

I can fit both of these boxes in my trunk, but which one is better 4cuft 30hz or 35 hz? what's the difference?

http://community.webshots.com/photo/118877623/118877865yGoHue

or

http://community.webshots.com/photo/118877623/118877979NDsHOC

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again.

Zash
11-11-2004, 09:23 AM
I would probably go with 30hz since it's a 15. That's just my opinion though.

LIGHTBEING
11-11-2004, 09:31 AM
and why is that your opinion......

What exactly is hz? and why would you want less then more?

Zash
11-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Hz = Hertz - A unit of frequency equal to one cycle per second.

Basically, it is sound. The lower the Hz, the lower the sound *20Hz is lower/deeper than 25Hz*.

req
11-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Hz = Hertz - the frequency of the sound thats comming out. the best 'note' that will come out is the really low bass notes. nothing high like a bass guitar. mostly bass drums or rap beats.

the higher the tuning (Hz - hertz) the higher pitch the sound will be.

30hz is great for a daily driver. stick with (or close to) that number. personally i use a tablesaw\circularsaw to cut my box. just take your time and do it slowly. its not very hard. jigsaws DO NOT cut 90 degree angles very well.

cut -> glue one side with a 90 degree clamp(s) if ya got them -> predrill\countersink -> screw.

use the thickest wood ya can get (MDF) and persoanlly, 1x1's or 2x2's work fine for bracing and are prolly cheaper than dowels. basically if your box flexes then the internal volume changes, and the box gets bigger and the tuning changes. this is bad. and on top of that. it becomes unstable, and it might break\crack where its weakest. braces stop the flexing and keep it very rigid. thats your goal.

many people double up the front face of the box so its 1.5" thick (2x.75" mdf) and its way more sturdy.

its really common sense man. just think about the questions you ask before you do. =p

skeptikal
11-11-2004, 09:53 AM
if you buy the wood from like lowe's or home depot they will cut the wood for you. or at least around here they do. just make sure you tip the guy after you give him the cut list so he doesnt *** up. when i had it done i only had 1 piece that wasnt right and it was too long by like a 1/2 inch. if youre gonna do that, tip him BEFORE he cuts your wood

LIGHTBEING
11-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys.

Req,

I'm just trying to make sure I understand everything before I build this box. It's really not common sense. Plus I think this thread will teach a lot of people when building boxes. Good questions and great thorough answers.

How bout the thin fiberboard I'm using for the bezel over the front of the box? Is it ok to make the cutout on the bezel(fiberboard) the same measurement
as the cut out for the sub on the box, put the bezel over the face of the box, then screw the sub into that? Will it still be air tight?

Zash
11-11-2004, 10:19 AM
if you buy the wood from like lowe's or home depot they will cut the wood for you. or at least around here they do. just make sure you tip the guy after you give him the cut list so he doesnt *** up. when i had it done i only had 1 piece that wasnt right and it was too long by like a 1/2 inch. if youre gonna do that, tip him BEFORE he cuts your wood

I can see it now...
Zash: Gives the guy a cut list and a $10.00 bill. "Have at it"
Guy: Thanks sir, I'll be done soon
The guy gives me the boards and it turns out that he cut one too long
Zash: YOU ***!!! GIVE ME BACK MY $10.00!!!!

Anywho, when you give them a cut list, they measure it all out and cut it for you and everything? I thought that i would have to measure it and draw lines and stuff...

LIGHTBEING
11-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Hey all,

Can someone please check my cuts? I think I'm a little confused on it cuz I'm still not positive how to peice everything together.

http://image05.webshots.com/5/7/78/65/118877865yGoHue_ph.jpg

1- 28.5x16(back)
2- 25.5x16(front and front baffle)
2- 23.25x28.5(Top and bottom)
2- 23.25x16(sides)
1- 14.5x18(port)
1- 14.5x3.75(port)

Also why are the port demensions 14.5x3x24? It looks like it should be 14.5x3x21.75(18+3.75), no?

and for the cutout for the sub do I make it slightly smaller the 15" in diameter?

LIGHTBEING
11-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Bump....what do you guys think about the cuts?

And how big should the sub cut out be for a 15" XXX, 14.15"?

Thanks