PDA

View Full Version : black light

jellyfish420
11-05-2004, 01:03 AM
i am in the process of building a box for my gf. it is going to be a ported box for 2-10" RE's. it is going to have a sub on each side and the port down the center, and i was thinking of putting a plexi windows on the top, above each sub, and putting a black light tube inside the box. i was wondering if anyone has done this, and if the tube will stand up to the pressure inside the box???

swimfreak26
11-05-2004, 01:52 PM
I don't think I would use a black light because they seem sort of fragile, however they sell blacklike neon kits and tubes that would hold I'm fine.

Streetglow is probably the most expensive, but here's a link to what I'm suggesting http://www.cardomain.com/item/STGAN15BK

req
11-05-2004, 02:14 PM
www.LSDIODES.com

get some LED's and wire them to a relay from the REM wire (theres a tutorial on relays somewhere around here) and hot-glue those inside the corners of the box you cant see. it would be marvelous - make sure you get resistors and calculate everything correctly. they dont like 12v... they are happy with ~3v.

pavengmike6
11-05-2004, 02:23 PM
If you plan on putting any type of plexi glass in and you want it to light up you NEED TO DO THIS. Granted you do not have to, but it makes the light you have 10000 times brighter. Get some mirrored lexan and line the inside of the box. You will have to factor that in with your deminsions, but the effort is well worth the work. The mirror reflects all the light and you do not have to use anywhere near the amount of lights. Not to mention you can mout the lights in the corner and the mirror reflects the light all around the inside of the box, instead of having it on directional.

req
11-05-2004, 03:04 PM
mirrored lexan isnt the cheapist of products though. a sheet of that is gonna run you $60+
easy.

but it will definatly make it look ++.

LEDs are the way to go. you can run 4 of them on a single 12v line with no resistors in series (i think its series, ya know, where they are all connected)

4 corners, 4 LEDs $10. great idea.

but personally, UV LEDs dont get very bright. i would opt for 2 blue and 2 red.

http://www.lsdiodes.com/THC3/

those are the brightest-normal LEDs they sell. an average laser mouse is about 5000mcd for refrence. the blues are 11000mcd, and the reds are 16000mcd. quite bright for a plexiglass bulb the size of a pencil eraser.

so get 2 reds and 2 blues, and mount them all in series

jellyfish420
11-05-2004, 04:06 PM
I don't think I would use a black light because they seem sort of fragile, however they sell blacklike neon kits and tubes that would hold I'm fine.

Streetglow is probably the most expensive, but here's a link to what I'm suggesting http://www.cardomain.com/item/STGAN15BK
thats what is was talking about. the tube... i want black light cause i want to paint the inside white, and splatter it with the invisible uv paint. so its white, but when you turn it on...WOW theres a party in there!!!

req
11-05-2004, 04:23 PM
thats what is was talking about. the tube... i want black light cause i want to paint the inside white, and splatter it with the invisible uv paint. so its white, but when you turn it on...WOW theres a party in there!!!

LEDS are eaiser\longer lasting\inexpensive\smaller.

i suggest them over tube\neon

PM me if you need help- or LreqL on AIM

jellyfish420
11-05-2004, 07:14 PM
LEDS are eaiser\longer lasting\inexpensive\smaller.

i suggest them over tube\neon

PM me if you need help- or LreqL on AIM
are led's directional light?? the box is gonna have to seprate chambers that are 2^ft, and share a port. so would 4 light up a chamber? all together i would need 8 led's right..2 sets of 4. would they be as bright as the tube, and would they light up the whole chamber?

UndercoverPunk
11-05-2004, 08:17 PM
put in 30, it's really easy. LEDs would be alot better, because in my experience they ar MUCH LESS delicate than CCFL tubes...

BASS OUTLAW
11-05-2004, 08:26 PM
yeah get some leds, LESS VOL ;)

talking about black light, n neons,
just smashed 2/4 of my underbody neons,
Right side : BLUE, 40" BLUE
FRONT : WHITE, 12" :(

so uninstalled all, and i hate neons, and next time will go with LEDZZZZZZZZ!!

jellyfish420
11-05-2004, 11:33 PM
put in 30, it's really easy. LEDs would be alot better, because in my experience they ar MUCH LESS delicate than CCFL tubes...
thats what i was wondering...i know its easy, thats not the problem. but am i gonna need a whole butt load of them to light up each chamber??? i don't want to have to but a ga-zillion of the little bastards.