PDA

View Full Version : hey req

kodyh12
11-04-2004, 12:12 AM
hey im fixing to start on a box similar to yours here in the next few weeks for my extended cab chevy and i wanna know how u figured out the airspace of ur box considering its fiberglass and all so ill know what 2 tune it to

req
11-04-2004, 09:42 AM
hi man, basically you make the port before you make the box.

lets say you had a 30hz tuning freq - and you needed 3ft^3. build your port to that box size and tuning- then create the fiberglass around it. hopefully when its done, the net volume inside (after all displacements) will be more than your desired 3ft^3. fill it up with somthing (packing peanuts work very well) and then measure the volume of the peanuts. add piece of 4x4's or 2x4's until the desired volume is reached.

then put the sub in and bump away. its always a good idea to tweak it after too- try taking the box volume down a little more - say 2.8ft^3 and see if it hits harder\sounds better, or try making it 3.3ft^3 and see if you like it more.

but thats generally how i did it.

=)

Apoc
11-04-2004, 01:18 PM
that seems a lot harder than making a square box, but it looks much cleaner and saves you quite a bit of space if done right!

req
11-04-2004, 01:25 PM
its tricky, but well worth it IMO

robbie_turner
11-04-2004, 04:13 PM
hi man, basically you make the port before you make the box.

lets say you had a 30hz tuning freq - and you needed 3ft^3. build your port to that box size and tuning- then create the fiberglass around it. hopefully when its done, the net volume inside (after all displacements) will be more than your desired 3ft^3. fill it up with somthing (packing peanuts work very well) and then measure the volume of the peanuts add piece of 4x4's or 2x4's until the desired volume is reached.
then put the sub in and bump away. its always a good idea to tweak it after too- try taking the box volume down a little more - say 2.8ft^3 and see if it hits harder\sounds better, or try making it 3.3ft^3 and see if you like it more.

but thats generally how i did it.

=)

so do u not glue it down or anything. i need 2 know this as i need 2 make my box smaller. also how do u go abt measuring the size volume do u mean u fill it up with peanuts then measure the volume of the peanuts?

req
11-04-2004, 04:29 PM
well. if you dont glue it down, its gonna rattle like hell- basically the only point of doing this is to take up volume inside the enclosure to bring it down to desired internal volume so that the port will do its job at the right tunage.

and yes, fill em up with the little styrofoam thingies (the smaller they are the better) - and as you put them in, use some kind of measuring cup - and measure as you go. then you know how much area you need to get rid of.

its quite easy. just tedious

Apoc
11-04-2004, 07:48 PM
very tedious, how many hours did it take you to complete?

robbie_turner
11-04-2004, 08:01 PM
cheers will just need 2 find a place which sell them. btw if im going 2 fill it with 4*4 does it matter if there is a few gaps. what im getting at is it going change the pitch