PDA

View Full Version : don't have remote wire coming off head unit

drew345
11-03-2004, 12:26 AM
hey everyone, i tried to wire up my subs into my 98 prelude but ran into a bit of a snag. i found out that there is no remote wire coming off my deck. the only wire free is p.cont which i tried hooking up to my amp and the led light came on but when i grounded it, it shut off. does anyone know why i don't have a remote wire or of any alternatives?
drew

audiofanaticz
11-03-2004, 05:12 AM
The remote wire color on a deck is blue most of the time, I never really heard of a deck with out one. but I would look online for a wiring diagram, incase the radio manafacture changed the colors or something. I know pioneer switched red, orange, and yellow around on their older decks compared to their newer ones.

But if you dont have one, you can use your ignition/key switched power wire from the deck, it will turn the amp on and off when you turn your car on and off. Its pretty much the same as a remote, only thing different is that a remote wire will turn power on and off to your amps when you turn your deck on and off. But you have no other real option besides using your ign/key wire which will turn your amp on and off with your car, and if you ever wanted to turn your amps off doing this, you could put in a toggle switch between the deck and the amps on the wire.

supraman1379
11-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Well, if it doesnt have a remote wire heres what i would suggest you do.
Go by a toggle switch. And some wire. Run a power wire from a positive power wource to the power side of the switch. Ground the switch somewhere. The run another wire from the accesory side of the switch to the remote lead in yer amp. and then flip it on and off when you want the amp to come on or off.
Thats what I had to do when my remote wire fell out of my HU.

tommyk90
11-03-2004, 09:04 PM
Does your deck possibly have a power antenna wire? You could use that instead.....

But if not i also recommend running from the fuse box. That way the amp will always turn off with the car. My buddy did the switch thing and he ALWAYS forgot to turn it off.

supraman1379
11-03-2004, 09:13 PM
^^^^^^^ Yea hes right bout forgetting to turn it off.LOL. I do that pretty often. But I dont know if it really matters if its left on or not, cuz the amp(s) arent putting out power cuz the subs arent running. But its up to you.I seriously doubt ur battery would go dead over it though. Ive left mine all all weekend and the battery didnt die on me.
But like I said, Its up to you.

Slody4Futbol
11-03-2004, 10:17 PM
you must have had something not hooked up right... because P. CONT is your amp turn on... and P. ANT is power antenna... what about your power wire... and what gauge was it... size amp... how did you have it grounded... etc...

drew345
11-04-2004, 01:06 PM
i'm using 8 gage power wire, i sanded down a spot under seat and grounded it there(the ground wire is also 8 gage). i plugged my rca's into the rear output and i'm using 14 gage speaker wire for the subs
thanks for ur help