PDA

View Full Version : Screw holes stripped out :(

Meka
11-01-2004, 08:30 PM
Hey, Well as you can see im a newbee here. I have been checking this form out for awhile and decided to join. I own a 15 inch solobaric l7 in a ported box. The screwholes some how got striped out so now the sub dosnt tighten down all the way. Any one know what i can do to fix this?

Thanks alot
Sam

alove_85
11-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Hey, Well as you can see im a newbee here. I have been checking this form out for awhile and decided to join. I own a 15 inch solobaric l7 in a ported box. The screwholes some how got striped out so now the sub dosnt tighten down all the way. Any one know what i can do to fix this?

Thanks alot
Sam

um, use bigger screws

kickerlivinloud
11-01-2004, 08:35 PM
May not be the prettest but you can just put another baffle on it. I'm sure someone else can think of a better idea but thats what I would do....

Jon

themainjam
11-01-2004, 08:38 PM

Thanks alot
Sam

liquid nails on the screws then screw them in....or rotate the sub a little but dont forget to silicone the old screw holes

lol its a square my bad!!! liquid nails then??

phrozen5100
11-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Slap some Gorilla Glue on there and you'll be fine :-). Actually, I'd try to get some sort of hard substance in that hole, maybe bondo or fiberglass resin. Then just drill it and put another screw in there.

idiot
11-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Couldn’t you install some t-nuts or hurricane nuts? (since they require slightly larger holes to begin with, I assume... if not, just choose the next largest size, as someone else suggested) Then you should be able to maintain your current holes, and you’ll be screwing directly into the nuts in the future, so that you won’t strip them a second time.

Link (http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&DID=7&CAT_ID=41&ObjectGroup_ID=259&SO=2)

Moe Lester
11-01-2004, 09:49 PM
fill the current screw holes with fiberglass resin + mat stuffed in there, then re drill

jmiller0526
11-01-2004, 10:24 PM
i just break toothpicks in half and stuff em in the holes and then rescrew...it works like a charm fer me.....ioono but id give it a try

Meka
11-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Man that toothpick idea sounded really good but it didnt work. So will bigger screws work?

ss3079
11-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Toothpicks and glue will work ... the glue should make the toothpicks expand. Works for me all of the time.

- Steve

kwang125
11-01-2004, 10:49 PM
bondo or resin sound like good idea to me ...

monte_carlo97
11-01-2004, 10:52 PM
Get some t-nuts and you will be set to go.

supraman1379
11-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Put some silicone in the hole let it dry. then carefully put the screw back in it.
Or put some silicone on the screw and the slowly put it in the hole.
Or you could silicone the whole sub into the box, but then its a ***** to get out. (not recomended by me.) Ive done that once. It stopped the air leak. But I couldnt get the sub out of the box after thatLOL. JUst thought bout making some suggestions to ya.
By the way.....dont use that last suggestiong unless you plan on leaving the sub in the box.

robbie_turner
11-03-2004, 10:21 PM
fill the current screw holes with fiberglass resin + mat stuffed in there, then re drill

wouldn't use fiberglass as im sure u wont get enough mat in there so the resin will shatter when u screw it in