PDA

View Full Version : Where to point ports

Scarenius
10-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Does it matter what direction the ports are pointed in relation to a sub? If the sub is facing the rear/front/left/right and the port ISN'T facing the same direction, how will it affect performance?

78nova
10-28-2004, 06:13 PM
i guess if your in a hatchback i would go up, but in a trunk point it away from the cabin, thats my opinion

BASS OUTLAW
10-28-2004, 06:18 PM
am not sure actually,
SPL guys test the port in many direction untill they get the maximum db.
if u r not entering a comp, i dont think it would make that big difference.
if it was me, and in a trunk, would make the port facin UP-wards, or same side as the sub.

wait for other comments though. :)

bigred78797
10-28-2004, 09:46 PM
ive tried ports in just about every direction and they all sound about the same to me exept for the times that the port was blocked by something in the vehichle. So just put the port in an area that allows air flow. Technically speaking you can improve the volume by facing the port in certain directions depending on the vehicle and position of the box but usually it is only a few tenths of a dB.

Scarenius
10-28-2004, 11:55 PM
A few tenth of a decibel is irrelevant. You see, I basically want to just drill a hole and add a piece of PVC pipe to port the sh*tty box my 15s are in. It's 1/2" chipboard, a "mastercraft" or some BS company like that, 2.15 cubes per 15. Port size, maybe a 3 inch diameter. I did the math, it's like 4.5 inches long, 11 and some odd inches if I use two 3 inch dia ports. I'm not aiming for perfect, if I'm off by less than 5 hertz, I don't think I'll notice the difference.

The subs aim towards the rear of the car. I will point the ports straight up. There's about 5 inches clearance and a bass port, but 2 chunks of sound insulation in the way. Should be fine.