PDA

View Full Version : Port Material?

Jonahdude
10-28-2004, 05:32 PM
How much does port material matter? I was thinking about using regular 4" PVC pipe, but Home Depot sells this plastic pipe that's $5 for like 10 feet. It's more flexible than most PVC pipe, would it's flexibility make it less suitable for use as an enclosure port?

tRiGgEr
10-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Think about it. High SPL in the enclose would cause the port to flex. Bad idea. Use common sense.

Jonahdude
10-28-2004, 05:42 PM
Think about it. High SPL in the enclose would cause the port to flex. Bad idea. Use common sense.

How is that common sense? Do most people know what goes on inside a subwoofer enclosure? I'm not really going to have that high of SPL, I'm going to be running 1 or 2 Pioneer TS-W305Cs. It's not all that flexible, but if I squeeze it it'll bend pretty easily.

tRiGgEr
10-28-2004, 05:51 PM
How is that common sense? Do most people know what goes on inside a subwoofer enclosure? Yes I'm not really going to have that high of SPL, I'm going to be running 1 or 2 Pioneer TS-W305Cs. It's not all that flexible, but if I squeeze it it'll bend pretty easily.

Even with an RE8 you still want a firm port. Trust me if the port vibrates even a little it will effect the tunning and sound. Its just safer to get the right stuff.

Black_Jesus
10-28-2004, 05:52 PM
just use regular pcv.. the goal is to make the enclosure as ridged as possible.. anything that can flex, will flex

Jonahdude
10-28-2004, 05:55 PM
Alright, I'll stick with the strong stuff.

Apoc
10-28-2004, 06:24 PM
good idea....flex = bad in a sub enclosure

skeptikal
10-28-2004, 06:26 PM
build a vented box... get much less port noise that way ;). put fiberglass resin on the sides of it, screw it down, seal it... wont get much flexing out of that ;)

Moe Lester
10-28-2004, 07:58 PM
build a vented box... get much less port noise that way ;). put fiberglass resin on the sides of it, screw it down, seal it... wont get much flexing out of that ;)

i do believe thats what hes doing... since vented and ported are the same thing and all.