PDA

View Full Version : Box help, t/s parameters

btnhfan
10-28-2004, 01:00 AM
For all those box programs that want the t/s parameters of the sub(s), what do they actually need them for? I'm about to build a box that is somewhat odd and shape and I was curious if they need it for the port or the actual cubic feet of the enclosure. Thanks.

btnhfan
10-28-2004, 10:59 PM
Bump. All you box guys know about this.

DBfan187
10-28-2004, 11:40 PM
http://img28.exs.cx/img28/751/untitled97.png

Those plus I think it needs the Qts too?

btnhfan
10-28-2004, 11:48 PM
But what are the t/s parameters used for? Why do you need them when building a box? The prefab boxes dont use t/s parameters, so are they needed specifically for porting or what?

OLD_SCHOOL
10-29-2004, 09:34 AM
t/s params like jmac said can help you when figureing out a box to use it can also help you determine your port area how big or small your box can be and what the tuning freqs yeild as far as TR of porterd boxs

BASS OUTLAW
10-29-2004, 11:30 AM
BTW, why the hell aren't you using expert mode ?

whats the difference?

squeak9798
10-29-2004, 11:38 AM
The prefab boxes dont use t/s parameters,

Exactly why it's recommended that you build your own enclosure and not to buy a prefab. The prefabs are very rarily the "correct" (or atleast not optimal) size boxes for a given sub (since each sub is different).

Now, if you are talking about buying a "loaded" enclosure from companies like JL or Rockford, then T/S params are used to determine the box, just not by the end consumer. JL & RF do the legwork for you by designing and building the box, you just have to buy it.

btnhfan
10-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Okay thanks. I have this big box that has all these weird angles and shapes and what not that I want to port, so I was wondering if I even need the t/s parameters or just figure out a port using the formula.

req
10-29-2004, 05:14 PM
basically the T\S has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BOX. it has to do with how the SPEAKER will perform in the box.

put in the T\S for your sub, and use the port calculator in the program to figure out the port size\depth.

basically if you have a box, the VOLUME inside and the TUNING FREQUENCY are related to the port size\depth.

so put the T\S in, and use somthing like winISD Alpha to calculate the port size\length... ignore the box calculating part - except put in what VOLUME AFER DISPLACEMENTS your box will end up being.

then it will simply tell ya what size (you can play with this) the port shuld be.

i hope that helps.

squeak9798
10-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Port length and such isn't determined by the T/S params, but to determine what size box and what frequency you should tune to is where the T/S are necessary (and mandatory)

btnhfan
10-29-2004, 05:23 PM
OKay. Thanks. That clears everything up.

DBfan187
10-30-2004, 01:18 AM
BTW, why the hell aren't you using expert mode ?
Well, I just opened it up real quick and wasn't sure if I used the right sub(his sig - DD).

That's why.

If I was actually going to go into depth, Expert is always clicked.;)