PDA

View Full Version : after 16 hours...

robbie_turner
10-26-2004, 07:36 PM
So after about 16 hour’s work things are beginning to take shape. Just added my first layer on to the sub enclosure. So just killing a bit of time. So like everyone else who seems to make a fibreglass sub box here are my pic’s sorry about the quality its because they were taken on my camera phone. What do you think?

I have not used a fleece on mine I have decided to use card board hopefully it will give it a nice smooth shape. Fingers crossed!!

robbie_turner
10-26-2004, 07:39 PM
sorry here they are:

swimfreak26
10-26-2004, 09:54 PM
I'm sure someone will elaborate on this, but I have concerns about the carboard because it looks like you will be restricting air flow and making the box seem a lot smaller to the sub.

In general, the fleece is used to cover the whole front to mold a shape, and have a platform to lay glass on....it is not used to hold the MDF ring, that is the job of dowels for the most part.

robbie_turner
10-26-2004, 10:42 PM
the cardboard is not holding the ring up. instead of using material to shape the mould i have used cardboard. regarding restricting the air flow as far as i can work out its is exactly the same shape as it would had been if it was material.

what maybe confusing you is the excess fibreglass. the reason for this is 2 replace my interior so it will fit snug in the boot

robbie_turner
10-27-2004, 07:14 AM
well was i right or wrong to do it?

req
10-27-2004, 08:55 AM
i suppose it will be fine... thers no reason that it wont be. as long a s the carpet\painting is done right, it will look fantastic. just remember to p ut muchos layers of glass on it, we dont want boxes exploding now do we =)

the cardobard idea is pretty cool though, i was confused at first, but tell us how it turns out, it looks intersting to me =)

good luck mang!

swimfreak26
10-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that that was the trimmed up version and the cardboard was holding up the ring. If you're cutting away all that excess and the cardboard is the shape then I say go for it and let us know how it turns out.

Like req said though, lots of glass....check out his thread that documents his work if you've got questions, there's lots of pretty pictures (and I suppose some explanations, but who needs those :driving: )

robbie_turner
10-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that that was the trimmed up version and the cardboard was holding up the ring. If you're cutting away all that excess and the cardboard is the shape then I say go for it and let us know how it turns out.

the excess bits fit exactly into my car to form part of my interior!! that was the hardest thing about making the fibreglass

took some more pics but there seems 2b a prob with the attachment thing, unable 2 put them up at the mo. i have put a couple of more layers down.

what do u guys recommend as a filler for any small uneven bits. its going to be hard work to sand it all down but i really want to paint it rather than carpet it.

and how many layers do u think i need. my mat is really thick quite hard to do sharp corners. i have had some other stuff which was about 2/3 thinner.

kwang125
10-27-2004, 03:58 PM
fleece adds strength to enclosure. not sure about cardboard though.
anyhow, your enclosure is looking good so far ! :thumbupw:

robbie_turner
10-27-2004, 04:59 PM
here they are:
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=2836&stc=1

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=2837&stc=1

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=2838&stc=1

generalGOTCHA
10-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Hey guys, ive never fiberglassed ****, but im good at carpentry.... how much would you say would it cost to just fiberglass over a box to make it look nicer and custom to my car ??

robbie_turner
10-28-2004, 11:52 AM
Hey guys, ive never fiberglassed ****, but im good at carpentry.... how much would you say would it cost to just fiberglass over a box to make it look nicer and custom to my car ??

i have spent about £150 pounds. but i have got double of what i need. that’s abt $200 not sure what the currency rate is. its prob cheaper for u guys. the mat/glass doesn't cost much its the resin which is the expensive bit. i got a 5kg tin for £18 im on my second tin now. i have also bought some filler so i can paint it that’s abt £15

what i would do is buy a cheap fibreglass kit for abt £10 and see how u get on. then after that u will know what type of glass etc u want.

good luck!!!

robbie_turner
10-28-2004, 07:00 PM
just starting smoothing out the edges. never done this b4 looks like its going 2b a long job

robbie_turner
10-30-2004, 09:01 PM
still smoothing it all out seems like this is taking longer than the fibreglassing.