PDA

View Full Version : Will the premier/pioneer Hu's work with my amp?

rizorith
10-25-2004, 01:50 PM
I have an old 5 channel Alpine amp, MRV-f353. I'm going to be upgrading my head unit and am most likely getting the pioneer 8600 or the premier 860 (with the 6.5v pre-outs)

I'm wondering if my amp can handle the increased voltage and if it will really make much of a difference in sound quality with such a middle of the road amp.

iceteebone
10-25-2004, 04:26 PM
i went from a 6 volt premier 750 to a 4 volt pioneer 8600 and saw no difference at all. just go with the 8600 since it's cheaper :thumbupw:

Professor Fate
10-25-2004, 11:23 PM
i went from a 6 volt premier 750 to a 4 volt pioneer 8600 and saw no difference at all. just go with the 8600 since it's cheaper :thumbupw:

Don't listen to him. Spring the extra couple, and get the better Hu. (premier) High volt pre-outs do make a diff. Get a newer amp to tell the diff. they don't make hi volt for nothing, less distortion. Just get the 860mp for $275- $300, on ebay, with warrenty. Or for $50 more get the 960mp like me. For $350 its the best value deck ever. A couple years ago I bought a $700 alpine that has nothing on the 860 or 960. But thats just my opinion. Happy hunting!

rizorith
10-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Don't listen to him. Spring the extra couple, and get the better Hu. (premier) High volt pre-outs do make a diff. Get a newer amp to tell the diff. they don't make hi volt for nothing, less distortion. Just get the 860mp for $275- $300, on ebay, with warrenty. Or for $50 more get the 960mp like me. For $350 its the best value deck ever. A couple years ago I bought a $700 alpine that has nothing on the 860 or 960. But thats just my opinion. Happy hunting!

So the higher pre-outs won't make a difference with my amp? I'm not planning on replacing my amp unless it's going to make a big difference. I don't really want to spend the $$$.

iceteebone
10-26-2004, 05:08 PM
So the higher pre-outs won't make a difference with my amp? I'm not planning on replacing my amp unless it's going to make a big difference. I don't really want to spend the $$$.

there really is no difference. especially between 4 volt and 6 volt. it just means that on 6 volt you won't have to turn your gain quite as high as on a 4 volt. i have used both 6 volt and 4 volt on the same amp with same speakers and there was absolutely no difference. if you sent your gains correctly there should be no difference between the 2.

rizorith
10-27-2004, 06:34 PM
there really is no difference. especially between 4 volt and 6 volt. it just means that on 6 volt you won't have to turn your gain quite as high as on a 4 volt. i have used both 6 volt and 4 volt on the same amp with same speakers and there was absolutely no difference. if you sent your gains correctly there should be no difference between the 2.

OK then I have a better question... will the premier (with 6.5v) work with my amp? It's a 5 year old alpine 5 channel amp MRV-F353. I've been told that some amps can't take the higher voltage input but I don't know how to tell if mine is one of them.

On ebay the pioneer 860 is actually cheaper (still don't know why) than the 8600 so I may as well get it even if the extra voltage doesn't help. I just want to make sure it won't hurt it or be incompatible with my amp.