PDA

View Full Version : How to install the speaker in the box? Help, I'm an idiot...

rizorith
10-22-2004, 07:41 PM
So I'm building my first car stereo and I've ordered a custom sealed box for my 300ZX. It's basically a knock off of a JL stealth box.

Is there a walkthrough on how I install the speaker in it? I don't know if I need some sort of sealant or special bracket or what.

skeptikal
10-22-2004, 07:48 PM
ok step by step process :: by skeptikal

1. get a drill
2. turn the drill on
3. predrill some holes around the sub ring
4. put some big *** screws in the holes
5. screw them down until they are tight

no sealant is needed unless you plan on having those subs in that box forever!

- Edit -

6. OH YEAH! turn the drill off

Nikuk
10-22-2004, 08:16 PM
with those directions You are not gonna get any sound out of ur sub..... For that, you're gonna need some wire. ;)

sumone
10-23-2004, 03:03 AM
you may think it's impossible but when I installed my first sub (february?)...it wasn't secured down as tight cause I was scared I might've hurt the sub. and then at times when I would play a song loud, I would here this odd sound like the box was gonna burst.

at the time I didn't know what was causing that sound until 2 months ago when I hooked up my new subs & had them just sitting on top of the box cause I wasn't gonna screw 'em down until I was sure I had the wiring right...so I play some music and I hear that sound. screwed the subs tightly...no fnny sound. silly me....and all the while, I had thought the box may not have been sturdy enough.

Nikuk
10-23-2004, 10:29 AM
you may think it's impossible but when I installed my first sub (february?)...it wasn't secured down as tight cause I was scared I might've hurt the sub. and then at times when I would play a song loud, I would here this odd sound like the box was gonna burst.

at the time I didn't know what was causing that sound until 2 months ago when I hooked up my new subs & had them just sitting on top of the box cause I wasn't gonna screw 'em down until I was sure I had the wiring right...so I play some music and I hear that sound. screwed the subs tightly...no fnny sound. silly me....and all the while, I had thought the box may not have been sturdy enough.

= use all 8 screwholes and a power screwdriver/drill.

Exaran
10-23-2004, 12:43 PM
If you dont use some kind of gasket, you'll get air leaking out under the woofer. I just fixed this on my sub.... It sounded like the sub was distorting, but that fixed it. Now it gets twice as loud without any noise :)

Naxis2k1
10-23-2004, 02:38 PM
No sealant needed around the subs ?

Weatherstripping costs all of $2 for a 15 foot roll, works well, and isn't permanent ...

where the heck can you find weather stripping that cheap?

mrray13
10-23-2004, 02:45 PM
some subs come with a rubber gasket around the mounting ring..this acts as the gasket. i've yet to have a sub leak around the gasket when they have this feature. especially when the box is carpeted...seals tight as hell.

other then that, the earliest directions, including wiring the sub up, are all u needed..i suppose..hehe

oh yeah..after turning drill of...don't forget to put it up!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeee :peace:

Nikuk
10-23-2004, 03:20 PM
where the heck can you find weather stripping that cheap?

window and door stripping. you only need 3/4" wide by 1/4" or so thick roll. $1.69 at Ed Youngs Hardware up the road :ladysman: