PDA

View Full Version : If you have a store built box, it's not sealed

Scarenius
10-22-2004, 01:51 PM
I was playing around with my system, finishing the big 3, I went back and just watched my subs for a second. I thought "Man, why is right sub acting so funny?" so I unplugged it, and bridged the left sub. My box isn't sealed! My right sub would move anyway! Grr! Going to silicon it today. If I can find silicon.

On a side note, a 700w 15" sub, even wired at 8 ohm, will get KILLED by a 1200 watt amp. It must have been moving an inch in both directions. That can't be healthy. I don't think I blew it, though, since it doesn't distort at my usual levels.

req
10-22-2004, 02:15 PM
um. turn the bass boost down, turn the gains down, and take a sub out and make sure that wall didnt come loose.

better suggestion;

build your own box.

my .02c

Scarenius
10-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Well, no variable bass boost, I'd rather have a sealed box, and my money is going into a box for 10"s. I'm taking just about all that into consideration, but for right now, the only thing I can do is seal it.

And on the inside, it's chipping, the bass is shaking the box apart. 3/4 inch MDF my ***. I'm never letting P&J Audio touch my car again.

Jayhawkk
10-22-2004, 02:48 PM
A couple of years ago I had a box built by mobil electronics in frederick, md. Told them I wanted a sealed box for 2 12's with each sub in its own chamber. Think they charged me about 250 bucks. the first thing I did was push on one of the subs and the other pushed outwards. I hate companies like that.

req
10-22-2004, 02:50 PM
go back and get your money back. dont take that kinda **** guys =\

skeptikal
10-22-2004, 07:03 PM
build a box yourself... total cost will be about a maximum of 50$....around here 4' x 8' MDF sheets go for 24.99$ and i only used a half a sheet on a 3.2ft^3 box. still got alot left... screws will run you about 5$... silicone tube ~$2.50, liquid nails ~$3.00.... plans for the box !$5-$10. it takes time but you can get one built on a saturday in like 2 or 3 hours... and places like Home Depot, Lowes, & Menards will precut the wood for you... make sure you tip the guy before he cuts it so he doesnt **** you on cuts.

Scarenius
10-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Tip the guy? HAHAHA! I'll measure them myself in the store and complain to the manager if they're off. I'll just make it clear I'm going to be an *** about it because it needs to be air tight.

Too much trouble. If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. I have the equipment, tools, caulk, liquid nails, and screws here.