PDA

View Full Version : Re8 box plans

sampson
10-20-2004, 05:38 AM
Ok heres the deal,

I am throwing 4 re8s in 2 boxes one behind each seat in my truck. Each box is going to give them .92 cub feet of air. So like .46 a piece for anyone who doesn't like math. I have heard for a local guy that I shouldn't put a wire receptor deal on the box that you put the positive and negative wire into but rather just run it straight off the subs and out a little hole in the side of the box, then just use like great stuff to seal the hole to make the box tighter.... What do you guys think about this? He also said that I should leave the box sealed. I am pretty sure he is wrong on that part as RE specs say .5 is rec. port size and as I am really close I figure I should port it...but still give me opinoins on it. I'd also like opinions and recomendations on weither or not to use weather stiping along the sub mounting area and what I should tune the boxes to? Any other advice or suggestions are welcome.

So give me your opinion on

1. port or sealed?
2. run wire through hole in box or not?
3. what to tune the box to?
4. yes/no on weather striping
5. ANY OTHER ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS AT ALL.

Thanks a lot in advance-Sampson

PS. boxes are made out of 3/4 mdf incase anyone was wondering

Exaran
10-20-2004, 06:33 AM
Dont forget, if you port, you have to add the port volume and speaker volume to that .5 so it starts to turn into .6 or .7 each. You may have to stay sealed if you can't do that much volume

If you find some good terminal cups you'll have a good seal, or else that guys idea will work. Only problem is that you loose the ability to dissconnect the box easily if you ever want to use that space.

RE says to port to 32hz for SQL... I'm getting ready to port my RE8 to 28hz for pure SQ (it makes the curve a lot flatter and lower in WinISD @ .6 cubes at 28hz)

You need some kind of gasket under the speaker... I ran my RE8 without one for a little while, and it made some crazy whistling noises

good luck :)

sampson
10-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. Anybody else have anything to add? I think I need to talk to a box builder as I am now reconsidering porting the boxes. Thanks for the post-Sampson

BiaBia
10-20-2004, 02:26 PM
Get me on AIM, I have plans for a ported box.

Mr. Loki
11-19-2004, 08:58 PM
What would help alot is the max dimensions you can use in your truck behind the seat then we can calculate what kinda air space you have to work with and go from there. I say the little drilled hole idea is fine as thats how i do mine. Then you dont have to worrt about the terminal messing up or the wire rattling off and so fourth...normal water proof acrilic caulk works fine. Re subs seem to sound GREAT in ported boxs, but if you can do that you can go sealed, but I would have to say 2 re8s ported will sound better then 4 re8s sealed depending the power and so fourth.