PDA

View Full Version : Port Displacment???

waNtsumBuMP
10-19-2004, 09:20 PM
What exactly is port displacment... and how does it effect the over all volume of your box???

OLD_SCHOOL
10-20-2004, 07:27 AM
it is the volume that your port takes up in the box and depedning on how you look at it either adds volume to your VB or subtracts it from total box volume

BASS OUTLAW
10-20-2004, 08:19 AM
same as old school , but another example.

let say u have a large box. and then u get another small box into it. the large box will be smaller from inside.
the gross vol. of the big box is the same, but net vol. will decrease.

let say the large box is 2 cuft. and the port is .5 cuft. so your subwoofer will only be seeing 1.5 cuft. (2-0.5=1.5cuft) because the port displaced the box vol. and took space.

so, port displacement decrease ur box net vol.
if ur subwoofer recomends 2 cuft. and ur port displacement came out to be .5cuft. then ur whole box vol (HxWxD) should be 2.5 cuft.
so after port displacement, it will be 2cuft.

did i confuse it :(

Nikuk
10-20-2004, 10:16 AM
same as old school , but another example.

let say u have a large box. and then u get another small box into it. the large box will be smaller from inside.

let say the large box is 2 cuft. and the port is .5 cuft. so your subwoofer will only be seeing 1.5 cuft. (2-0.5=1.5cuft) because the port displaced the box vol. and took space.

if ur subwoofer recomends 2 cuft. and ur port displacement came out to be .5cuft. then ur whole box vol (HxWxD) should be 2.5 cuft.

did i confuse it :(

What???

BASS OUTLAW
10-20-2004, 10:33 AM
What???
was there something wrong , with what i posted??
i know its too long, but is there something wrong.??
care to know , thnx

Nikuk
10-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Okay, this is good.

Okay, still making sense.

This is where it gets twisted. The first two times i read this i thought you were still talking about the same bax as in quote 1 & 2.

How about:

if ur subwoofer needs 2 cuft. and ur port displacement came out to be 0.5 cu. ft., then u need to make a box with vol (HxWxD) 2.5 cuft.

Sorry, just dont wanna confuse those who're trying to learn.

sumone
10-21-2004, 02:37 AM
Sorry, just dont wanna confuse those who're trying to learn.

...too late. :(

port displacement is the volume that the "port" takes up inside the box. this volume or displacement negatively affects the "net" volume of the box.

volume of box = net volume + port displacement + (probably other stuff)

Jonahdude
10-21-2004, 12:12 PM
volume of box = net volume + port displacement + (probably other stuff)

Subwoofer displacement.