PDA

View Full Version : Safety/Systems for Car Audio!

mjbailey21
10-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I need some major HELP!

I will be installing my system this weekend. Although I got great deals on almost all the parts, it adds up fast (as most of you should know). I am 17 and in my last year of High School. My school is not exactly nice. Its not filled with rich people who are not intrested in stealing systems, instead its filled with mexicans who are proud and brag about stealing systems. Of course there are whites, chinese, blacks and whatever, but I hear of systems being stolen all the time. I have a stock security system but I don't know if it will do much good. I don't have any money to buy a great security system either. Should I buy an LED and post it up so they might think twice, or what should I do? I need any suggestions/help. Thanks- Matt

supa_c
10-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Hide it all
Dont bump in the parking lot
Easy rules to follow

mjbailey21
10-19-2004, 07:35 PM
By "hiding it" do you simply mean don't bump it in the parking lot, or do you mean I should carry something in my trunk to cover it (don't know how gay of a question that is?). Thanks for the reply! MORE PLEASE :bowdown:

supa_c
10-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Well, if you are not heard then how are peeps gonna know you have 2 L7's ?
Unless they look in your trunk, but i dont know alot of boys that use their trunk at school

punkrocka436
10-19-2004, 09:51 PM
get a better alarm. I caught a guy trying to break into my car in my driveway at 2 AM.

My sub is bolted to my box with hex screws, and the box is bolted to the floor with star screws. Make sure everything is secured (amps are bolted, subs bolted etc). Add on piezo sirens on the interior (118 dB next to your ear is painful). Make sure the alarm has a backup battery, paging system etc

monte_carlo97
10-19-2004, 10:20 PM
using mutliple kinds of rare screws are definately a plus as usualy most theifs don't carry the bits for them. For now keep your system on the low and don't say much about it until you can save up for an good alarm. For now be careful.

supa_c
10-19-2004, 10:21 PM
Torx screws.
There hard to get out if you dont have a Torx head

monte_carlo97
10-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Torx screws.
There hard to get out if you dont have a Torx head
especially if you got the tamper resistant kind that got like that little bubble in them so you can not fit any torx bit in them.

supa_c
10-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Ahh, those are really annoying
Def get thems

RattlinStratus
10-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Tint your windows! Take of your faceplate and lock it in your glovebox everytime! Screw everything down with as many screws as possible as ^they said. I would up your insurance and take pics of ALL the stuff you installed, and make sure it is screwed down otherwise the insurance company says it was not part of the car. I would upgrade your alarm and put the little stickers "protected by viper" or whatever. Hide all your wiring or anything that would hint that you are have a stereo. Park in spots where the cars are nicer than yours, close as possible to the school, and in well lighted areas. Good luck, my stereo got stolen in the middle of my school and nobody saw anything?

monte_carlo97
10-19-2004, 10:30 PM
Tint your windows! Take of your faceplate and lock it in your glovebox everytime! Screw everything down with as many screws as possible as ^they said. I would up your insurance and take pics of ALL the stuff you installed, and make sure it is screwed down otherwise the insurance company says it was not part of the car. I would upgrade your alarm and put the little stickers "protected by viper" or whatever. Hide all your wiring or anything that would hint that you are have a stereo. Park in spots where the cars are nicer than yours, close as possible to the school, and in well lighted areas. Good luck, my stereo got stolen in the middle of my school and nobody saw anything?
yea, pretty much everything he said. They are some really good tips.

Fate710
10-19-2004, 11:19 PM
Well I tinted my windows to limo all around except fronts which are 20%. My box is bolted down and then has a lock washer w/ a nylon nut on the bottom. I have a clifford alarm w/ the LCD pager and so far I have caught every person tryin to break into my truck.

RattlinStratus
10-19-2004, 11:20 PM
There is no sure way to prevent someone breaking into your car, unless you sit in your garage with a gun all day and night.

78nova
10-19-2004, 11:31 PM
have a gun inside the car, tint your windows real dark, good thing my town only has 2000 people

monte_carlo97
10-19-2004, 11:40 PM
have a gun inside the car, tint your windows real dark, good thing my town only has 2000 people
oh yea, beat my town of about 200 people.

`pr0digy
10-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Since I have a wagon, I keep a blanket over my amp/subs. I need tint, my windows have NO tint. But, it's a 94 Volvo wagon with an AARP sticker on the side, figure no one will be looking. The blanket helps though, I mean, it's still kind of obvious ( to me ) that there's a sub box under it, but if they can't see, they won't steal.

mjbailey21
10-20-2004, 06:21 PM
info helps a lot. anywhere i can buy those "protected by..." stickers that you guys know off the top of your head? (I ask this because I am not planning on buy a security system just yet) Thanks a bundle boys, it helps.

Shyne151
10-25-2004, 03:41 AM
Invest in the alarm before you buy all your subs and amps if you live in a ****** town...

Everyone says use odd screws and such... but to tell you the truth I don't see any point in those because isntead of stealing your stuff, they are most likely just going to mess it up when they get pissed they can't get it out.

traksta15
10-31-2004, 01:41 AM
my friend has an 86 camaro and someone broke in his car in the middle of the night and stole over 900 dollars worth of stuff, (1 memphis amp, 2 rf 12's, all the wiring and installation kits, sony cd player....they pulled his window out and unlatched the t-tops, and that was it. that was like the third time his stuff has been stolen in 3 diff. vehicles.....

Sleeklsc
10-31-2004, 04:36 AM
def get a pager system...iit makes me more secure having one.....although i dont live in a town full of spics n n iggers i still put the level of security needed...

ps ....dont think im racist cause im not...bu7t who does the majority o theifing? yup you guessed right..

Einzee
10-31-2004, 09:04 AM
All of you have wonderful ideas. I thought I would give a couple of mine.

For the little stickers, goto your nearest alarm install shop and ask if there are any laying around. When I used to install, customers asked that the stickers NOT be applied and well they ultimately ended up on the ground/in the trash.

Don't be stupid. If you say a word or turn it up, consider it gone!

I assume that your factory alarm controls door locks that is good. Can the doors be slim jimmed? Take apart the panels and screw little pieces of sheet metal to shroud the latch/rods in the doors.

Install a secondary siren. The horn honking doesn't grab my attention and the same for others.

If you live near any of those thugs, eventually one will hear/see and it will be gone. If you drive anywhere in town and turn in up, someone somewhere will know of it and it will be gone.

What I am trying to get across to you is that, IMO, you are not using your head in this situation. WhyTF would you spend hundreds maybe thousands on equipment and not spend $50 on a decent alarm? I'm not one to wish any harm to anyone or anything but your **** needs to get ripped off if you can't take care of it! (locking it up, adding alarms etc...)

Wake the f*** up and simply spend 50 f***en dollars for an alarm FIRST.

mjbailey21
10-31-2004, 03:55 PM
If i give you $50 will you get me an alarm? All decent alarms around here are like $150+

AnabolicEli
01-05-2005, 10:40 PM
I need to purchase an alarm> Same boat as you man.

I go to college, and my car is parked far far away from my classes on campus. I need an alarm with some kind of pager that will alert me from more than 1000 feet away.

I'm also dark tinting my hatchback windows, Bolting down the box, bolting down the amp. Putting a metal fiber wire cable attached to the box . Bolting the subs to the box. Taking the Faceplate WITH ME. I dont trust my **** glove box.

I'm trying to get an alarm and have it installed at the same time as my system to save money on the installation.

P.S: Bumping at school is a bad idea. Dont talk about it, dont bump it till you can get some protection. If people see your car, not hear it, they wont think of breaking in.

However Information spreads like wildfire, and I know you will bump it, and your friends and otherts will hear it, and news will spread..