PDA

View Full Version : Formica

themainman
10-17-2004, 04:19 AM
Has anyone ever used Formica on any custom boxes? I'm going with Formica on my next box because the look of ot is flawless. I'm just seeing if any one of you have went this route.

themainman
10-18-2004, 07:30 AM
Well since no ones ever done mica, has anyone done something different to their box?

req
10-18-2004, 07:38 AM
what the hell is formica. :popcorn:

themainman
10-18-2004, 07:43 AM
what the hell is formica. :popcorn: It goes on custom counter tops. Actually Formica is jusy a brand name. There a few companies that make them. You can get all different colors from marble to the colors of nice bowling balls. You can get them to match your subwoofer or your car. Here's just a few design's out of hundreds. You can go to your nearest Home Depot or Lowse and check the samples out.
Tell me what you think.

http://www.formica.com/collection.jsp?collection_id=81&group_id=1

maylar
10-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Why would anyone want their sub box to look like a kitchen counter top?

req
10-18-2004, 12:55 PM
i dunno man, i dont think it would match amlmost any car\sub that ive ever seen. looks way to busy for me.

skeptikal
10-18-2004, 12:57 PM
gonna be a pain in the *** to cut that shyt too. let alone get the color to match... but ey who else makes sub boxes out of granite? at least its original!

themainman
10-18-2004, 01:01 PM
gonna be a pain in the *** to cut that shyt too. let alone get the color to match... but ey who else makes sub boxes out of granite? at least its original!
My uncle owns a custom cabinet company and I've worked with mica before. There's a certain way it gets cut. In the end it will look awsome.

And it is original. :veryexci:

Ne1
10-18-2004, 01:31 PM
I considered formica, since I know a friend who does his own countertops (Been building a house, with a mother in law suite, plus guest house. Thats a lot of cabinets!) and while I think it would look neat, he suggested wood to me. Just a thin sheet of birch plywood, or even a veneer. All stained up it would look wonderful, assuming you do the amp rack to match. I have a plan all set, and I figure I should be done by end of next year with everything. (Starting over from scratch)

dbornotdb
10-18-2004, 01:39 PM
I to have planned to use Formica at one point. Still considering it if I decide not to fiberglass and paint my box. I still have to figure out a design for it before I make my mind up.

The Formica I might be using is Chrome in color. :suave:

themainman
10-18-2004, 01:41 PM
I to have planned to use Formica at one point. Still considering it if I decide not to fiberglass and paint my box. I still have to figure out a design for it before I make my mind up.

The Formica I might be using is Chrome in color. :suave:**** I never thought of using chrome. I was going with Canyon Blue from Wilsonart Laminate

WrenchGuy
07-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Well I'm gonna have Formica on my new box in a week or so.

Gotta like the search button!

WrenchGuy
07-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Has anyone done this in the last 5 yrs?...lol

gotparts90
07-19-2009, 10:59 AM
I don't know but you have me thinking of doing this to cover some HT speakers I plan on making soon. I was going to sand and paint them but this seems easier and will look pretty nice.

WrenchGuy
07-19-2009, 01:18 PM
I don't know but you have me thinking of doing this to cover some HT speakers I plan on making soon. I was going to sand and paint them but this seems easier and will look pretty nice.

Yeah I got a cabinet maker right across the street where I'm at now. I asked him if he'd do it and he's all for it.

He even put the box together...lol I said go ahead. I can't take all the credit but he said he'd rather do boxes than cupboards. I think he enjoyed it.:D

He seen the 18"s and was like WTF?...lol

mattxc
07-19-2009, 02:21 PM
wouldnt it be really heavy?

WrenchGuy
07-19-2009, 02:26 PM
wouldnt it be really heavy?

**** its heavy without it...lol

Rich B
07-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Why would anyone want their sub box to look like a kitchen counter top?

I think butcher block would look good.
:p:

mattxc
07-19-2009, 02:55 PM
**** its heavy without it...lol

point taken lol

WrenchGuy
07-19-2009, 03:00 PM
If you really look into it there are finishes in the formica that are being painted on some boxes.

Not as extensive of surface treatments to throw the formica on.