PDA

View Full Version : pre-out voltage

nas786
10-15-2004, 02:53 PM
how big a factor does the preamp output voltage play, when running aftermarket amps to the head unit??

also, does it get dangerous at any point?? for example, eclipse has a hu with 8v output, that's pretty **** high, do i have a higher chance of blowing my speakers with them, or something?

VisionxOrb
10-15-2004, 03:23 PM
The Idea behind High voltage prepouts its to run alot of "signal" and to run the gain "sensitivity" low on your amp improving the signal to noise ratio and making it harder for things like alt. noise to appear. Now some amps say they cant take that much voltage but im running a audiocontrol 3.1 which is a 12v peak line driver and ive never had one problem on any amp.

how big a factor does the preamp output voltage play, when running aftermarket amps to the head unit??

also, does it get dangerous at any point?? for example, eclipse has a hu with 8v output, that's pretty **** high, do i have a higher chance of blowing my speakers with them, or something?

3.5Max6spd
10-15-2004, 03:56 PM
typically, the higher the voltage signal to the amp, the lower the gains on the amplifier- leading to less distortion overall

mrray13
10-15-2004, 04:09 PM
in laymens terms.....it's a good thing! it helps keep u from trying to crank the gains..

basicly, it sends a stronger signal to the amp, so the amp doesn't have "to work as hard" to reproduce it.....so u get to keep the gains down without sacrificing volume..

wow three answers..lol....that all basicly say the same thing...hehe

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :peace:

Scarenius
10-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Unless you're REALLY into all this, it shouldn't be all that big of a deal. At my usual 65% gain, I can hear no less distortion out of my amp than at 100%. I can hear the CLIPPING, yes, but that's because I have a good amp and cheap subs.

I've listened to mine with my usual JVC 2.5 volts out and from a Blaupunkt with 1 volt outs. It isn't 2.5 times as loud with the JVC, if that sums up what you wanted to know.

IMO, Higher pre-outs are good, but don't spend $180 to get a 4v HU when the exact same HU with 2 volts is only $100.

jellyfish420
10-21-2004, 12:51 AM
what if your outputs are only putting out .1V, yeah i took a DMM to my RCA's today and that was it. would it make a diff there?

mrray13
10-21-2004, 10:03 AM
what if your outputs are only putting out .1V, yeah i took a DMM to my RCA's today and that was it. would it make a diff there?

yeah, it will make a difference. i had an old pioneer who's pre-out voltage was .5volts...changed to a 5.5volt sony..without changing amp settings..WOW..lol

a lot louder and clipping galore!!! once amp was readjusted...no more clipping, but still louder...the mic proved that. with a pair of hx2 8's and a sony mobile es amp pushing them(rated 380wrmsx1, benched that as well)..the pioneer was a 134.5db(ACmic) the sony was 136.4(same mic)..threw a memphis 1000d on the subs with the sony..best of 139.6(same mic)...btw..all testing was done with all settings cranked..hehe

higher pre-out is a good thing...jsut make sure amp settings are readjusted.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :peace:

LIGHTBEING
10-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Hey guys,

I ordered the Kenwood DDX-7015 unit and the preout voltage is 2. Is that gonna be a problem? If so, would the Kenwood Digital processor fix my problem? In my thread http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72469 someone said that the processor will make it high voltage at 4.5. Is this something worth getting and does that peice work with components other then Kenwood? Is says something on the Kenwood site that you need Kenwood component to use some features.

Thanks.

preunnerv6
10-26-2004, 12:21 PM
I have an hu that is 2 volts and another that is 4.5 volts. Neither of them have alt. noise, both get loud and have a low noise floor. I simply adjust the gain to match the hu voltage. Isn't that what the gain on the amp is for??

Scarenius
10-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Exactly! Higher voltage = good, but if it's THAT big of a concern, just by the $150 2v HU you like, get a $40 8v line drive, and be happy that's it's better than the $230 4v HU you almost bought.

See my sig, I'm very very very cheap.