PDA

View Full Version : Double Din?

LIGHTBEING
10-14-2004, 08:37 AM
Hey guys.

I need some advice on a HU. I have an 2000 Acura 3.2 TL. and because the factory HU is so **** big I need something that would adequetey fill the space and look right. I could make it look good by getting one of those Alpine Mobile Media Stations with a DVD player under it or an EQ or something. But I think they are way out of my price range. So I was considering a Double Din set up and kinda wanted to stick with Alpine because I am bias towards them and I already have a 12-disc alpine changer. Is the 3DA-W880 the only DD unit Alpine has? My friend just got a Kenwood Double din in his TL. That is also a DVD player plus sirius ready which is a big plus but a little too pricey. Check it:

http://www.streeteffectz.com/chuckdoubledin/

So my major concern really is making it look right and if at all possible to stay with Alpine. If it was the right price I would get a DD DVD player sirius ready but I think I'm dreaming.

Thanks

RattlinStratus
10-14-2004, 09:42 PM
I prefer Alpines over Kenwoods hands down, but Kenwoods are better than Aiwa! They sound pretty good and are pretty reliable. However, I dont think Alpine makes the DDs I think only Pioneer kenwood, and Aiwa do. I would go with a Pioneer, they are really good for the money. You can put an equalizer or what my friend put was a cd holder that held about 10 cds. It was pretty cool too, very original.

supa_c
10-14-2004, 09:50 PM
A better option is a just a DIN H/U.
Then you can fit an EQ under it.
Pioneer makes double DIN H/U with no LCD screen
Eclipse had(s) double DIN H/U with a LCD screen on the face
Kenwood also has the same thing with the LCD

ShakinSupra
10-14-2004, 10:49 PM
My Supra is double din, and I just have a single din HU with a little storage compartment underneath. Comes in pretty handy.

LIGHTBEING
10-15-2004, 08:36 AM
RattlinStratus- I'm bias to Alpine as well, it's all I used in the past. Had 3 Alpine HU. But there DD aren't too flatering. Kinda nasty IMO just like most of the ones out there. Yeah I was thinink about a HU and an equalizer, could look very nice. But I would stick with Alpine if I did that.

supa_c- I'm considering this but the DD I'm thinking about has the upper hand right now.

ShakinSupra- Good idea but in the TL, I just don't think it would look right. I need something big, ya know. thanks.

This Kenwood is by far the best DD I've seen and I think it's the best option. It has an LCD touchscreen. DVD/CD/MP3 player. EQ. Sirius Ready with controls. It's just a beautiful peice. When I think about it, it makes my naughty place tingle ;)

http://www.woofersetc.com/images/products/kenwood/DDX7015.jpg

http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=332&1=336&3=2468

I can get it for around $900

supa_c
10-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Thats the one i meant.
Its pretty sweet

nas786
10-15-2004, 08:05 PM
light being, if you got a dd screen in, then where is your radio control??

or is that like a touchscreen, which has that stuff on it?

i got a tl also, nice choice :thumbsup:

supa_c
10-15-2004, 08:07 PM

LIGHTBEING
10-15-2004, 09:10 PM
light being, if you got a dd screen in, then where is your radio control??

or is that like a touchscreen, which has that stuff on it?

i got a tl also, nice choice :thumbsup:

Hey man,

Yeah, that's a Touch screen, plus it has controls on each side of the screen. What yr TL do you have? You should get on www.acuraworld.com if you haven't already.

DJ Riggz
10-18-2004, 01:10 AM
ive got that kenwood dd. i'm very satisfied with it. not too flashy on the gui, but it does its job and keeps the double din space looking clean.

3.5Max6spd
10-18-2004, 03:04 PM
just make sure to check if it has strong enough preouts- alot of double dins have very low voltage outs- this can be an issue

LIGHTBEING
10-18-2004, 08:04 PM
I'm pretty sure it's 5 volts. That's good right?

supa_c
10-18-2004, 08:07 PM
5V is very good for a Double DIN H/U

3.5Max6spd
10-19-2004, 10:45 AM
I'm pretty sure it's 5 volts. That's good right?

I dont see anywhere that it is 5v......but if it is, yeah that would be the leader in the market as far as voltage

As a big of an Eclipse HU fan I am, I cannot recommend the AVN/AVX double dins for SQ- alot of owners complain of not much of a clean signal I believe its 0.8-1.8v actually .....i think

On the flipside- it has the most superior touch screen response, beautiful DVD playback, the best Navi unit, look s more OEM than any other unit- and loads mp3's faster than the competition(AVIC-N1)

LIGHTBEING
10-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I can't find it right now either cuz that section of the site is down at the moment. The only reason I thought it's 5 volts is because all the rest of the Mobile Media/DVD player Kenwood Excelon line have High Voltage Preamp Output: 5.0V

rogue
10-19-2004, 02:01 PM
I am not a fan of that kenwood unit. The GUI feels cheap and by the time you add NAV abilities to it, you are upwards of $1500.

At that cost, you could easily get yourself an Eclipse Double Din unit. Eclipse makes amazing equipment. One of the best purchases I have ever made electronics wise was my eclipse CD unit. Their theft protection and warranty's are amazing.

The Output voltage is the only issue however. :banghead:

AVN-2454 $1600 off ebay $1900+ from a dealer
http://i2.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/99/df/8d_1_b.JPG
GENERAL
Power Supply: 13.2V DC (11-16V)
Current Drain: 3.5A (0.5W)
Power Output: 50 watts x 4 (MAX)
Lineout Output Level: 0.8V (0dB)
Dimensions (W x H x D): 7-1/2 inches x 4-1/2 inches x 6-1/2 (180 mm x 100 mm x 165 mm)
MASS (Weight): 3.7 kg

Display
Display: 6.5-inch wide (16:9), low-glare panel
Resolution: 280,800 dots
(400 x 234 x 3)
Display Method: Through-type color filter
Panel Type: Color TFT active matrix
Brightness: 150 (cd/m3)
Drive System: Horizontal-shaped
cathode tube
System: NTSC
Screen Aspect Ratio: 4 types

FM TUNER
Frequency Response: 30-15,000Hz, +/- 3dB
Stereo Separation: 38 dB (1 kHz)

CD SECTION
Frequency Response: 20-20,000Hz, +/- 1dB
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.03 dB (0 dB, 1 kHz)

EQUALIZER SECTION
Graphic Equalizer: 63 Hz ~ 12,000 kHz (1/2 oct step) +/- 10 dB

Also check out the AVX2494, which has a built in CD ripper and 20gb hard drive. You can find it for around $1300, but it doesn't have any NAV.

knight007
10-19-2004, 03:14 PM
I've thought about the Eclipse Double Din HU but went with the Kenwood DDX7015. Only because I really didnt want to pay more than $1200 for it and I got the Kenwood for $999 and it was NOT refurbished, it was actually brand new and factory sealed. Anyways, I am VERY happy with the Kenwood and is very easy to use. I heard alot of people who got the Eclipse had difficulty using it because of the abundant features. Besides that, my Kenwood allows me to watch Music Videos and still has the same quality music as a normal CD. Its freaking great because people look into my car like, WHOA he is watching a music video and at the same time bumping LOAD! Thats just my 2 cents. :)

LIGHTBEING
10-19-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I always thought highly of Kenwood, just liked Alpine better. And most DD are real cheasy. Never saw it in person yet but my boys pics and online picks looks awesome. Plus it's a DVD player and Sirius ready. We shall see, I ordered the unit yesterday and it should be here by Friday. I'll take some pics once I get it installed. I got it for $900. Do you happen to know the voltage?

rogue
10-19-2004, 05:19 PM
Do you happen to know the voltage?

Kenwood DDX7015
Preamp Voltage 2 volts

High Voltage Preamp Output: when Used with Optional Digital Processor
High Voltage Preamp Output: 4.5V

The KDS-P901 is another $500 unless you can find one on ebay. One went for over $200 recently, and there is one on there now starting bid at $100.

LIGHTBEING
10-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Thanks rogue!!!

Is the 2 volts gonna be a problem? What kinda problems can it cause? Does it effect the Tuning of the amps or something?

Also, With the Digital processor. I'm not clear why a car would need it? I mean, I understand the concept in Home theater set up cuz you have a center channel. But in a car you don't, so the signal will be 5.1 without a center channel? So for example, if you are playing a DVD will you hear the voice of a person come out all the channels? are we just concerned with the right/left and front/rear and the sub with the processor? I might need it anyway just to get the high voltage to the HU but I'm just not clear on what it does for a car without a center channel.

Thanks

LIGHTBEING
10-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Aslo, does this work with other components other then Kenwood?

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productId=2414

LIGHTBEING
10-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Bump.

Is the 2 volts gonna be a problem and will the processor work with other component speakers other then kenwood?

Anyone?

Thanks

LIGHTBEING
10-22-2004, 08:49 AM
bumpbiddybumpbump

3.5Max6spd
10-22-2004, 12:55 PM
ehhh- you can add a line driver of sort, or an outboard eq/crossover or processor to boost you up- but it leads to more $$, work- and which leads to most of the features in the HU useless