PDA

View Full Version : What do you have to deal with to keep your stuff safe?

Race
10-13-2004, 11:38 PM
I don't mean the actual crime statistics. I'm just wondering what kind of place you guys live in and what the chances are that you'll get your stuff stolen.

I live in a very small city that is only a few square miles. Although it's small, there are tons of ganster wanna-be kids sporting the latest Fubu gear. (No offense to the average person that wears FUBU.) To them, a cool car is anything with four wheels and less then half a body of rust. They all drive their grandparent's Cadillacs, and even have a pretend gang. Unfortunately, do to lack of parking spots at my place of residence, I have to park across the street. This is not good because it's dark, quiet, and the road is seldom traveled by the average person. I can't install any lights near the parking space because I do not own the property over there (which, to make things worse, is an unoccupied house). These kids steal anything they can get their hands on, ranging from the bicycles of toddlers to phone books from local telephone booths. Pathetic, I know.

I'm thinking about trying to hook up a high resolution web cam to a webcam server (which I would place in my house and record pictures about every one second) and placing the camera on my telephone pole. I'm also going to mount a light on my pole and have a sign that says "this area monitored by video surveillance". This might help in addition to my existing car alarm. I know this might be going to extremes, but once I get my stuff installed I do not want it stolen.

What do you guys have to put up with to keep your stuff safe?

ss3079
10-13-2004, 11:44 PM
Small town ... people will still jack your stuff, however.

I've got an alarm and my fist ... and biggest of all, common sense. All of my aftermarket goodies are hidden as well as possible, and everything is secured to the vehicle with bolts.

Actually, to tell you the truth, I myself was thinking of setting up my video camera to aim at my vehicle during the night once my uberwoofer is installed.

- Steve

Randy Savage
10-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Well...right now I have very little in my car that would be worth taking...

But when I have equipment in my car, I usually back my truck up against my fathers truck, so if someone wanted to get into my trunk, they'd have to move my car...then proceed to get out the 200+ pounds of woofers/box in my trunk :)

My town is pretty middle class...I live in a rather decent part of town as well, on a small block with old people :).

On another note, just found out that there is a motel about 1000 ft. from my house that has 17 registered *** offenders.....

Acidburn
10-14-2004, 12:15 AM
my uncle makes high-resolution, 1-shot per sec video cams
the resolution on these things is amazing, very cool stuff

DBfan187
10-14-2004, 12:21 AM
a trunkmonkey in a clown suit - it should scare the **** out of anyone!

Acidburn
10-14-2004, 12:34 AM
a trunkmonkey in a clown suit - it should scare the **** out of anyone!
yesss!!!! and give him a wrench to smack people with

DBfan187
10-14-2004, 12:50 AM
yesss!!!! and give him a wrench to smack people with
No. A box of pixie sticks and a bag of jelley beans. The liquirice ones.:sick:
And if you run from him, he'll beat you down with peppermints and smother you with cotton candy. Then he'll hide your rotten corpse in your moms closet.

Yes, I'm incredibly tired right now!

Acidburn
10-14-2004, 12:52 AM
Mike, go eat something, you sound hungry

supa_c
10-14-2004, 12:55 AM
Wendys Bacon Mushrum melt.
You know you want it Mike :drool:

UndercoverPunk
10-14-2004, 01:06 AM
Have some stickers made and put them on your windows...

"My dog barks at everything, I am a light sleeper, I own a gun."
Should get the point across:thumbupw:

Shyne151
10-14-2004, 12:26 PM
I live in the suburbs... my car sits in the driveway because my parents take the parking spots in the garage. But I have an alarm, it sits under a motion light, and I have a 95pound boxer that is pure muscle :)

DBfan187
10-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Wendys Bacon Mushrum melt.
You know you want it Mike :drool:They told me that they stopped making those...:(BASTARDS!

Oh well! I just settled for a taco salad. But I had to say 'ole'. WTF?

Einzee
10-14-2004, 04:37 PM
To me it is a simple task of vehicle security. Two alarms. Yes two complete alarm systems. Plus the two sirens. Mount the sensors securely and properly and crank up the sensitivity. Mounting anything to a phone pole is against the law. You will have to put up your own pole in order to mount cameras. Oh, and dont forget that whatever alarm(s) you put on your ride are useless if one approaches and takes your ride while you are at a stoplight.

gonzalez3063
10-20-2004, 02:52 AM
If a thief wants ur car bad enough he will take it ( it does not matter what alarm, what club, or what kill switch u have they will find away to get around it)

JimJ
10-20-2004, 03:15 AM
i live on a college campus, so...no bumping in the parking lot.

also driving an unsuspecting (note, not unnoticable, just unsuspecting) vehicle helps.

IgnoreMe
10-20-2004, 03:23 AM
im not worried. my **** is insured. *knocks on wood*

mastershake
11-29-2004, 02:21 AM
there is almost no way to get 100 % security. if u arent going to insure ur stuff, dont spend what u are willing to. somethings to help deterr is first the alarm. something better than a factory one too. they arent that expensive to buy compared to the price of ur system. get an alarm to start, one with the notifie key fob with window and ttrunk sendors. u can get them t o notify u at anything now, battery backup is also available.if u dont mind adding weight to ur car make ur sht weigh as much as possible.when i first got my system i had a dual banbass box with two ports on eah side. i ran a chaind through them and looped it through 145lbs wrth of bench plates. make sure the chain is heavy enough thugh not to rattle. i realise that was kind of slop, but it would havebeen a bith haulling 230 lbs of stuff anywhere. next thing is screws. use the maximim pithch possible and the longest. Dont use the same screw type either. there are at least 12 different headed screws u can get at home depot. use them all. u can even get metric reverse screws at a home depot. its also a good idea to soder to head fill in..but dont go crazy just fill the holes. i dont know what kind of car u drive but i have a 2003 cavalier (yay) the seats dont open from the in side to start so that was a plus. u can usually disconect that which i recomend. it is easier to getthrough rhe cabin than a locked trunk. most likly or not thieves are looking for a quick score. i f they are going to take something of mine i have them take my subs. they are usually cheaper than amps to replace. i put my amps-2, sirius tuner and keg on a 1.25 hd board which rn across the nack of my seats.in a box with two laptop cooler fan pads.

really though the best thing to keep ur system safe is keep it silent. never beat anywhere near ur work, school. home or place ur going to stay. the less people who know the better.

IgnoreMe
11-29-2004, 02:34 AM
really though the best thing to keep ur system safe is keep it silent. never beat anywhere near ur work, school. home or place ur going to stay. the less people who know the better.
OR you can sound deaden your **** sooo much that when your driving down the street people dont hear a **** thing from you even though your pulling a hair trick in your ride haha. that would be pretty funny.

bushtree
11-29-2004, 01:22 PM
I agree with mastershake.

Keep your music Very LOW when within a couple miles of where you are going to park for a while. (Home, School, Work, Mall). If you live in bad areas and someone wheres you car bumping they will follow you sometimes! Its happened to my friend. Thats why i say dont bump loud within a few miles of where your going to leave your car.

If you notice someone following you dont drive home or where take them in circles a bunch of times tell they get feed up and leave. ( Hehe fun to do.)

OH also.. If you have anything visible Tint your windows. The darker the better. That way its alot harder for them to see if you have anything worth stealing.

badm0f0
12-01-2004, 12:28 PM
I had deadbolt locks installed on my 98 2 door tahoe. They worked like a charm. I came out of the movies one time and all my door handles were all bent the **** up but they couldn't get in my car. They saved my 3k worth of equipment prob at least 4 times :toast:

B@SSAN8OR
12-01-2004, 09:38 PM
put some airhorns in it that will wake everyone up and scare the **** out of the person trying to mess with it. also put the siren in the dash of the car so if they try and get to the steering colum they will have a siren in there face.

or you could

have the regular siren then have a pressure plate under the drivers feet area and have a set of airhorns there so when they try to steal it they will have airhorns going off in the cab of the car.

bonesninja
12-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Well...right now I have very little in my car that would be worth taking...

But when I have equipment in my car, I usually back my truck up against my fathers truck, so if someone wanted to get into my trunk, they'd have to move my car...then proceed to get out the 200+ pounds of woofers/box in my trunk :)

My town is pretty middle class...I live in a rather decent part of town as well, on a small block with old people :).

On another note, just found out that there is a motel about 1000 ft. from my house that has 17 registered *** offenders.....
cool ---make sure you post it if you catch the *** offenders molestin your subs in any way.

HeatSeeker
12-04-2004, 01:58 PM
2 words: car bomb...

just kidding, I have a nice alarm system, and I have my subs bolted down, my insurance company would cover those if they got stolen somehow, which would be somewhat difficult because I've had the trunk release relocated and hidden :thumbupw:

Mataes
12-05-2004, 12:40 PM
i like the car bomb idea, if they were going to take it, i'd rather it be destroyed than in their hands

JimJ
12-05-2004, 02:02 PM
my current project is a mobile GPS tracker...in the (highly, extremely, very) unlikely event that they get away with the entire vehicle, I'll be able to see exactly where they are, within 30 seconds or so and within 10 feet of accuracy. Plus their heading, speed, altitude, whatever. From any computer connected to the 'net.

I'm building it for a different purpose, obviously, but that's one use for it.

reed8857
12-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Not to hijack...but I am getting insurance on my stuff. Anybody have expeirence with thier insurance company when a theft has occured. How were they? I have progressive, and wondering if its worth the extra 6 bucks a month to insure my stuff for around 2k. thanks

theCybe
12-05-2004, 03:32 PM
There are always shaved doorhandles; and better yet, I read about a mod whereas if you have a remote to unlock your doors, you disconnect the physical mechanism connected to the keylock; and then the only way to unlock your doors is electronically. Like shaved, but without the expense.

reed8857
12-05-2004, 03:51 PM
then your window get broken

jester6435
12-12-2004, 05:30 PM
One of the good things about living in Vermont. I feel extremely safe just with my car locked with no alarm on it. I know a lot of people with lots of money invested in their car, and have never heard anybody get anything stolen except for one of my friends. However, he advertised his entire system, lives on a main road... and didn't lock his blazer. It couldn't have taken more than a minute to open the back door, pull out the wire, and run off with 2 12's and an amp =x. It's okay though, they were Q-logic subs.. ha!

swank
12-13-2004, 11:37 AM
A good alarm, hide the horn and wires well, use a backup battery with it. Also add one of those pager systems.

Very dark tint. (Ive got 5% all around)

Bolt down your amp rack, bolt your amps to the rack, use hex type screws or other head patterns on everything.

Always remove your headunit.

Let it be known that youve got a gun and you aint afraid to use it on whoever ganks your ****. lol Personally where i live ive got alot to be worried about but those who would attempt trying to steal my stereo know they will reap the aftermath from me.

req
12-13-2004, 12:34 PM
get a large piece of wood that wont fit into the hole of your trunk.

proceed to cut it in half, and carpet it for a false floor. drill four holes in it.

drill four holes (respective to the wood floor) in the bottom of your box- proceed to seal & bolt the box to the wood after you place it all in the car.

use 'security screws' on your subs so they cant get them out.

they arent going to be pulling that box outta the car. it litterally wont come out and the only way to get it out is to take the subs out.. and they cant do that eaither!

good luck theives!

swank
12-16-2004, 12:35 AM

proceed to cut it in half, and carpet it for a false floor. drill four holes in it.

drill four holes (respective to the wood floor) in the bottom of your box- proceed to seal & bolt the box to the wood after you place it all in the car.

they arent going to be pulling that box outta the car. it litterally wont come out and the only way to get it out is to take the subs out.. and they cant do that eaither!

good luck theives!

Yea thats similar to what i did with my beamer install, the only ***** about it is when you get a flat tire, talk about a pain in the *** to put a spare on. :(

Damaso87
12-19-2004, 05:32 PM
That false floor is a good idea...however what do you do when you have a truck? I was going to make a nice big, heavy box, bolt it to the floor numerous amounts of times, and use a few different types of screws when securing the sub. Do you guys know if its smart/possible to run a chain from the sub's basket to the floor?

jujumantb
12-19-2004, 05:42 PM

:) Thats what I did both years I parked in my old highschools parking lot where peoples stuff always got jacked. I'd either back into a spot so my trunk was right up to the other cars front or pull through a spot so a car that parks in the spot behind me would be there. They could still jack my deck and component speakers, but they would have no chance getting to my box and amps without TONS of hassle trying to maneuver around the car behind me.

Damaso87
12-19-2004, 06:02 PM
:) Thats what I did both years I parked in my old highschools parking lot where peoples stuff always got jacked. I'd either back into a spot so my trunk was right up to the other cars front or pull through a spot so a car that parks in the spot behind me would be there. They could still jack my deck and component speakers, but they would have no chance getting to my box and amps without TONS of hassle trying to maneuver around the car behind me.

If its a car behind you, and not a truck...i doubt the theives would care if they fvcked the other car...they would bust your trunk open, haul the box out onto the car behind you's hood, then slide it right into their trunk. As a matter of fact, i could make it easier for them...

nosaj070
12-19-2004, 06:13 PM
That false floor is a good idea...however what do you do when you have a truck? I was going to make a nice big, heavy box, bolt it to the floor numerous amounts of times, and use a few different types of screws when securing the sub. Do you guys know if its smart/possible to run a chain from the sub's basket to the floor?

Erm, i don't think so, I'm hoping your subs are inverted, but i still would not recommend it. I would vote bolting over some ghetto *** install with a chain around a sub, good lord, what is going on in peoples minds....

swank
12-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Yea i definately wouldnt use a chain.. All i can think about that scenario is.. rattle rattle

Damaso87
12-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Maybe a thick cable and some weld?

teampapi
12-22-2004, 11:14 PM
locked garage, stealth install with false floors,tamperproof bolts for sub,sub box bolted down from inside the box,alarm with sick range,a 12 gauge and a rottwieller. try and steal it. also adding a some metal straps to lock down/in my new indash screen dvd/cd/mp3.......that im gettin ready to order.

B@SSAN8OR
12-24-2004, 07:53 PM
get a neon light transformer and hook it up to the steering wheel and they will get a nice 30,000 volt shock. it wont kill them but it will fry the hair on there body

AnabolicEli
01-02-2005, 05:22 AM

good luck theives!

Couldnt they just smash the false floor wood, and carry off the box with shattered pieces of wood attached to it?

For mine, I HAVE A HATCHBACK.

Its pretty bad haha

I'm going to bolt it down with a few different bolt heads, then tint the windows really dark, and attach a metal fiber cable to it. (that doesnt rattle)

Plus I'm installing an alarm.

The only place I can't get to my car if the alarm goes would be in College. I park far away, and it would take forever to get there.

Most likely i'll get my stuff insured too

BringTheBass
01-02-2005, 08:20 PM
i live in a very quiet neighborhood. However the next street over is a mexican gangster ghetto. Im not being racist right now because thats how they want to be referred to as over there. if u even pass by and dont look they yell at you and say "WHAT U LOOKIN AT FOOL"
but back to the point. even if youre in a nice subtle neighborhood, people will come anyways from far away maybe.
4 of my friends' trucks got broke into. and we mostly all live on the same street. one got his HU stolen, one got his subs stolen, and the others just got their windows broken and just some minor things got stolen

alti98
01-02-2005, 08:24 PM
I live in a very quite neghiboorhood also. The neghiboors get pissed when I play the subs.

The 2 towns that im close to are nice palces also. Im not really worried about getting anything stolen in them. But there are some places around here you gotta watch your stuff but I know where they all are and try to park in a spot where there are alot of people around and activate the alarm everytime.

psycho72
02-09-2005, 01:43 PM
i live in a very quiet neighborhood. However the next street over is a mexican gangster ghetto. Im not being racist right now because thats how they want to be referred to as over there. if u even pass by and dont look they yell at you and say "WHAT U LOOKIN AT FOOL"

Neighborhood fools don't refer to their neighborhood as a "mexican gangster ghetto" they call it by it's proper name. That is your own name for it so have enough balls to say it. And I realize that you don't like getting punked but it ain't the first time and won't be the last, **** happens in life get used to it and grow some nuts.

swank
02-12-2005, 09:43 PM
but back to the point. even if youre in a nice subtle neighborhood, people will come anyways from far away maybe.
4 of my friends' trucks got broke into. and we mostly all live on the same street. one got his HU stolen, one got his subs stolen, and the others just got their windows broken and just some minor things got stolen

Just bust a cap and let them know "you ain playin"

http://www.touched.com/episodeguide/seasonthree/318-Driveby.jpg