PDA

View Full Version : Should I use an EQ?

specie
10-09-2004, 05:44 AM
I'm going to run an Eclipse 55430 head unit with a ppi a404 amp (ads components and an 8" sub).

I had an Alpine 3342 eq, but it just died on me. I have an Audiobahn eq (cheap one)...yeah I know... and I was wondering if adding this eq would be detrimental to SQ. Is this the case where not having the eq would be better for the SQ? How necessary is an EQ? If so, what are some reasonable recommendations? Not into competition, but I do like to listen to clean music.
Thanks.

squeak9798
10-09-2004, 11:30 AM
and I was wondering if adding this eq would be detrimental to SQ.

IMO, yes

Is this the case where not having the eq would be better for the SQ?

Well, not using that EQ would be better

How necessary is an EQ?

It depends. The #1 thing you should do before you even think about an EQ is work on proper installation and tuning. Finding proper crossover points, proper gain setting and level matching, proper speaker placement and aiming, killing reflections and resonances, finding the appropriate phasing for each speaker, etc etc. Only after all that is done should you worry about an EQ. There is so much more that can be done with the install to improve the sound that an EQ should be last on your list. Adding an EQ first is like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound.....it's just not as effective as it is when used properly.

If so, what are some reasonable recommendations? Not into competition, but I do like to listen to clean music.

Depends on your budget and if you need a graphic or parametric

bri487
10-09-2004, 12:34 PM
the arc audio keq-5 is a newer eq. it is a decent processor and it has a subwoofer volume level control which is always a plus. i believe that one goes for around 150. now if you are willing to spend a little more money, the zapco sp7 is awesome. unfortunatly it is about 500 bones. i would say that the zapco sx-sl is probably the best in dash Eq out there but the downside to that is that is goes for about 800 dollars.