PDA

View Full Version : Is good imaging possible with factory speaker locations???

EmEsDub
10-07-2004, 03:38 AM
is it possible to get good imaging w/out kick panels or mounting tweeters in the a-pillars? i would like to keep my factory speaker locations (in doors)... but how can my system image well? time corrective signal processors, etc?

Nikuk
10-07-2004, 09:42 AM
is it possible to get good imaging w/out kick panels or mounting tweeters in the a-pillars? i would like to keep my factory speaker locations (in doors)... but how can my system image well? time corrective signal processors, etc?

Alot of "higher end" components are designed to be off-axis drivers. They try to focus the sound "image" in front of the driver/passenger with assumptions that the speaker is mounted lower and perpendicular to the seating area. Now, this is the manufacturer's claim.
From my listening experience with drivers like these is that they do sound better in a door type location then they do when pointed at your chest from the floor. Imaging is mostly subjective though.

Check into CDT's, they make huge claims regarding their off axis tech.

squeak9798
10-07-2004, 01:08 PM
As Nj pointed out, most car audio speakers are designed to work well off-axis (in stock door locations). The main problem is the pathlength differences. That's why people started using kickpanels, to equalize the pathlengths more. Ask a lot of competitors and they'll tell you that a majority of kickpanels are still off-axis (almost the same as when they are in your door), but the main advantage (other than slightly better aiming) is the better equalization of pathlengths.

So, long story short.......possible; yes. Can't guarantee it'll happen, but it is possible given enough time and work, and that you know what you are doing.

UndercoverPunk
10-07-2004, 04:31 PM
I ordered CDT EF-61's and before I got them I built kickpods that were pointed at my head, the result was ALOT of high mids and a lack of mid bass, when I turned it up it was almost nauseating. Then I played around with them and found that they sounded spac-f*cking-tacular pointed at my feet. I kept messing with them until I had it just about perfect then I built new kicks based off of what I'd leaned. The new ones are pointed, for the most part at my feet. All I have left to do is reinforce the area where I ran the wire, throw in some sound deadening and hook them up, otherwise I'd let you know how that sounded.

Honestly though I'd reccomend kickpods, I got quite a bit of water flowing through my doors, and my old compnents were rusted on the outside and a bit dirty inside when I tore them apart. With kicks I wont have to worry about the elements destroying my speakers. Fiberglassing really isn't that hard once you get used to making the right mix, and everything else is basicly arts and crafts.

ighettoboyi
10-10-2004, 01:02 PM
i agree with undercoverpunk, those ef's sound pretty d@mn good in the door pointed at my legs, i mean really really good. the drivers make vocals sound so much more realistic

VoTran24
10-11-2004, 10:34 PM
i agree with undercoverpunk, those ef's sound pretty d@mn good in the door pointed at my legs, i mean really really good. the drivers make vocals sound so much more realistic

did you get both your mid and tweeter pointed to your feet or is it just the tweeter? I can imagine if you got your tweeter pointed at your feet. where is your mid located in the stock location of our car? and how did you get it to point at your feet? thanks

magic_wizard
10-19-2004, 10:04 AM
did you get both your mid and tweeter pointed to your feet or is it just the tweeter? I can imagine if you got your tweeter pointed at your feet. where is your mid located in the stock location of our car? and how did you get it to point at your feet? thanks

I would like to know as well.

twinkieC405
10-20-2004, 04:23 PM
ahhh i'm glad my BMW has their stock locations set up like that already with the kicks and the tweeters next to the a-pillar bar. But even with the speakers being in the kick panels will i need to adjust them to get it perfect or will i also need to adjust my upstage tweeter kit?