PDA

View Full Version : Mic

HeadBussa86
10-06-2004, 12:44 AM
How much do mic's start at to measure your dB levels? I'm only 17 and don't want to pay someone to do it and would rather own one so I could further tweak things. Thanks, Nate

jtomsic
10-06-2004, 01:03 AM
they start at like 20$ at radioshack but they arent very good. good ones are a few hundred

delvryboy
10-06-2004, 01:14 AM
like i was stating in the PM, come out saturday night, we'll have a TL on hand :)

Spkrman
10-06-2004, 05:23 AM
yep - i will wield the tlab.

Say ure from caraudio.com and i might let ya run through for free ;)

HeadBussa86
10-06-2004, 08:13 AM
hey thanks man ill be there, finding it might take me a while

Nikuk
10-06-2004, 10:24 AM
How much do mic's start at to measure your dB levels? I'm only 17 and don't want to pay someone to do it and would rather own one so I could further tweak things. Thanks, Nate

About $650 for TL w/software. Need a PC or laptop to run it.

If you're looking to guage your progress (i.e.- start at 140.0, do something, pull 1.2 dB gain, etc) look for an old termpro mic for sale. It'll measure you're improvement / losses.

Ricktc
10-06-2004, 03:03 PM
The old mics are somewhat inconsistent though, so be careful and make sure you get to know how they work, mine jumps around quite a bit, it is very handy no doubt, and helpful, but you need to know when your score is high because of the mic or because of the change(s) you made.

-Rick

Nikuk
10-06-2004, 04:22 PM
The old mics are somewhat inconsistent though, so be careful and make sure you get to know how they work, mine jumps around quite a bit, it is very handy no doubt, and helpful, but you need to know when your score is high because of the mic or because of the change(s) you made.

-Rick

Very good point. Thanks Ricktc.

once you get to know your (older) mic, Calibrate often :) (or at least before you use it)

Ricktc
10-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Always make sure if you are doing testing, METER BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY CHANGES and get a baseline, then go from there, might be different every day, you never know. My mic is wicked consistent day to day, but many aren't, so always meter before and get a baseline, or else your testing might not be getting you anywhere.

-Rick