PDA

View Full Version : Silicone/cawk

jmiller0526
10-05-2004, 09:37 PM
im building a ported box for a XXX 15" and im almost all of the way done but i have a question, do I need to put silicone or cawk acrross all of the edges or will the screws and glue get the job done...thanks

Moe Lester
10-05-2004, 09:42 PM
If you do a good job of gluing it its not really necessary, but it wont hurt to do it anyways.

supa_c
10-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Either a bead of Liquid nails or slicone can be used, better safe than have a leaky box !

InhumanAcura
10-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Liquid Nails isnt good for sealing the box up. Use wood glue, liquid nails, etc for assembly and then go in with some silicone to seal it up.
Silicone actually makes a pretty tight bond as well.

supa_c
10-05-2004, 10:10 PM
needed that +1 eh

rx7vert
10-05-2004, 10:37 PM
yeah, I use the foamy wood glue stuff when I put the box together, and then go over all of the inside corners with either caulk or put a couple layers of fiberglass resin in it.

ngsm13
10-05-2004, 11:46 PM
needed that +1 eh

WTF is that, look at urself!
Anyways, it bothered me...it's CAULK!!! But yeah, i agree with what's been stated as well. My preference is good ol' wood glue and latex caulk. peace

NG

I WON'T waste another post, so i'll edit this one...

YOU just HAD to make that next post...yet another reasone 90% of your posts are bullshit. GET IT?!

supa_c
10-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Looks like we have another !

jtomsic
10-06-2004, 12:07 AM
tip for when doing ur silicone, run the bead, lick ur finger and rub it down into the corner, the spit on ur finger will stop the silicone from sticking to ur finger and pushing it down will make a better seal.

Acidburn
10-06-2004, 12:09 AM
tip for when doing ur silicone, run the bead, lick ur finger and rub it down into the corner, the spit on ur finger will stop the silicone from sticking to ur finger and pushing it down will make a better seal.
that works for caulk too
but after you push the caulk down, and you lick your finger again do you know what that makes you?

that's right, a CAULK LICKER!
HAHAHHAHAHA

jtomsic
10-06-2004, 12:20 AM
lol... i've actually never licked the same finger cause i didnt know if it was bad for u or not. but yea i guess u would be a caulk licker.

`pr0digy
10-06-2004, 11:13 AM
When I built my box, I used liquid nails/screws, then silicone in all the corners. I only used screws/silicone on the top piece though, figured that if I ever need to get it off for some reason, the liquid nails would kill that, but the silicone still sealed it up good.

InhumanAcura
10-06-2004, 03:51 PM
WTF is that, look at urself!
Anyways, it bothered me...it's CAULK!!! But yeah, i agree with what's been stated as well. My preference is good ol' wood glue and latex caulk. peace

NG

I WON'T waste another post, so i'll edit this one...

YOU just HAD to make that next post...yet another reasone 90% of your posts are bullshit. GET IT?!

90% :rolleyes: ..........I HIGHLY doubt that

ANeonRider
10-06-2004, 04:15 PM
I just use a mix of wood glue and sawdust from the MDF to seal up the box.

jtomsic
10-06-2004, 04:34 PM
i get all the saw dust out i heard it can chew ur vc's up.

ANeonRider
10-06-2004, 04:37 PM
I make it into a paste, pretty much liquid MDF and spread it with my finger.

maniackilla
10-06-2004, 05:55 PM
When I built my box, I used liquid nails/screws, then silicone in all the corners. I only used screws/silicone on the top piece though, figured that if I ever need to get it off for some reason, the liquid nails would kill that, but the silicone still sealed it up good.

yes ... it certainy adds non-fun-ness. especially when the box wont come out and theres not only 47 screw to do with a stubby screwdriver in which your hand is 2" from the top of the trunk, but theres also liquid nails alllll the way around the box taking up the entire trunk ... a 35"x30" sheet of mdf is mighty tricky to move also even when the liquid nails is finally chiseled out b/c i couldnt get my subs out w/o moving the top peice. i ended up setting a bucket inside the box which held the sub on top of it, slightly lifting the sub above my top MDF peice. i did that with the 2 subs that woudlnt come out while i carefully inched the top peice out. after the 8hrs i went to sleep and woke up sore the next day. i literally could have busted and smashed the box. then built another with less time and less pain. all to save a few dollars in wood

wish i was rich :greedy:

Jonahdude
10-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Cawk :hilariou:

tRiGgEr
10-07-2004, 11:59 AM
I Lick Cawk :hilariou:

:hilariou: :uhoh: :sick: :wow: