PDA

View Full Version : Treble Overload...

z00mz00m
10-03-2004, 11:03 PM
I recently purchased some CDT CL-6X's for my car. I am using them as front speakers although they are labeled as "perfect rear fill speakers".

I have them hooked up the same way as my stock speakers and old lightning audio speakers, same wiring, everything, so nothing has changed in that aspect. But here is my problem. Whenever I turn up my volume the treble becomes ear piercing.. it kind of gives u a slight jolt when sharp loud sounds are made. Its most noticable in songs where clapping is heard.

I've spoken with several friends about my issues (GSteg being one you guys would probably know). No one really knows what the problem could be. I have the tweeters aimed down, and there is no position in the car that u can sit and not hear the sharp piercing treble.

I have my treble turned all the way down, and it doesn't effect it, so I usually turn it up a tad so I can get the best SQ. The CDT technician I spoke with through email had never heard of what I'm describing with any of their products.. Its really baffling me.

I have considered purchasing a cheap equalizer or crossover to maybe get rid of the frequency of treble that is doing this. Anyone know what the heck could be causing this? I'd almost like to look up common problems with speaker installation so I could find out.

My other friend with a new S10 X-treme recently got an Alpine headunit, and his stock speakers are overloaded w/ treble too.. cant' turn them down anymore.. what is up with this??!?!

Thanks!

EDIT: http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17068&highlight=alpine+treble my friend and I both have the issues that that person is having. Its an Alpine issue then.. What is the cheapest fix?

jellyfish420
10-03-2004, 11:13 PM
i kinda got the same problem with my CL-6X's. i listen to rap mostly, and they're great, but when i try to listen to some rock or something with lots of gutair and stuff, the treble is just way fu(king loud! when i turn the treble down on the h/u, everything just kinda gets muddy.

z00mz00m
10-03-2004, 11:27 PM
how bout when listening to nolia clap? i notice it a lot there.

GSteg has told me that it could just be the nature of the tweeters.. I'm really hoping that its not though. I'm starting to realize that more and more people are describing Alpine headunits as "bright" when it comes to treble. Maybe I just have the most unfortunate combination of HU and Speakers possible.. haha

an Equalizer might just be the way to go eh?

lido
10-06-2004, 12:57 AM
you could adjust the tweeters on ur crossovers but i forgot how. i had this problem and i live in Cali (714) and took it to a place called ProAutoSound and they fixed it. the guy showed me how to do it but i forogt

Sleeklsc
10-06-2004, 03:22 AM
i notice with my fronts that it is louder with rock then it is with rap..idk...are u listning to burnt cd's that are burnt or sumtin...but its not that bad....maybe the tweets on that cdt are crap

Scarenius
10-06-2004, 11:43 AM
Actually, if they're too loud, they're the exact opposite of crap. I wish I had that problem, my tweeter are hardly noticable, but they are rear mounted.

req
10-06-2004, 11:52 AM
how about using a real amp- instead of the internal amp in the alpine, now you can use the HPF and the LPF and set the gains correctly.

you might be clipping your tweets man. as well as using the controlls inside your passive xover, maybe the -3db would help (thats where mine is set, and i dont get harsh tweets- im also using an external amp like you should.)

`pr0digy
10-06-2004, 01:32 PM
I think your a little off course with your "alpine + CDT = harshness" theory. CDT tweets, both the metal + the silk, are pretty laid back compared to many others. Also, Alpine has been making HU's for a long time, I have one myself, and I've never heard anyone describe it as "bright". I really doubt that there's a big differance in sound between the differant HU companies (in the same class, anyways). I also have CDT HD-62's (silk tweets), and they are definitly not too bright. Sure, if I turn it wayyy up, it gets a bit much, but that's because they get so loud, not because of any flaw.

Are you listening to real cd's, or mp3's ? Perhaps your just listening to ****** mp3s ?

z00mz00m
10-06-2004, 06:53 PM
i'm listening to a burnt mp3 cd, most of the songs are 320kbit/sec quality

the CL-6X's are coaxial for anyone who hasnt' caught onto that. i've been considering getting an external amp, but i dont' want to spend too much on it, because w/ the money i'll end up spendin on the amp and speakers combined, i could have just went and bought nicer speakers in the first place you know..

also, i don't think these speakers have silk tweeters anyways, correct me if i'm wrong