PDA

View Full Version : Question about building a box for all you Mag owners...

Afboy143
09-30-2004, 08:17 PM
Well right now my mag is in a 4.0 cu ft box tuned to 28 hz. Its nice and clean and gets pretty loud but I want a lil more SPL out of it. I heard if I tuned up around 35 hz it would get a lot louder but my question is how much sq will I be losing? I really dont want to lose too much sq but want it a bit louder. What do you guys suggest?? And in what kind of enclosure did you get your best results?

nosaj070
09-30-2004, 08:26 PM
How much power are you sending it?

Afboy143
09-30-2004, 09:32 PM
hifonics 1500

nosaj070
09-30-2004, 09:42 PM
That has to be **** loud already. You can tune higher, it should give you a pretty good peak, but in all honesty sound deadening your car will most likely make as big, if nto bigger of a difference than just tuning higher.

Afboy143
10-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Its sound deadened to the max. 3 layers of edead on the rear hatch. 2 layers on the floor. 2 layers on the side walls of the trunk (I drive a 99 explorer) trust me I HATE rattle so I tryed my best to rid it

I just didnt know how much of a diff it would make to tune a lil higher to say 35 hz from 28 hz

LBX2G
10-01-2004, 01:38 PM
did u do the the roof. THe roof is ur biggest peice of flexable metal in the car. but tuning it to to 35 will make a diference, will not lose much sq. Cus 35 is still kinda low.

IgnoreMe
10-01-2004, 01:42 PM
i got the same setup...well i got the 12" i dont know what you have the 12" or the 15" im guessing 15 since you siad its in a 4^3ft box. anyways, i got he 1500 on it too. i went from 3^3ft @ 25hz to 2.1^3ft @ 29 and the bass hits the chest a little harder with a little more force. in fact its making me think of tuning mine higher as well just to see how much louder i can get this thing. my guess would be that you would see an even bigger increase in that punch if you went to a higher tuning. im not sure what you listen to, but its up to you and if you are willing to sacrifice that little extra bit of low end to gain some spl.

nosaj070
10-01-2004, 02:00 PM
if you really wanted it louder tuning to 38 may not even kill you in the sq arena. You woudl most likely have one hell of a peak somewhere along the line, but it would be loud. But tuning anywhere from 33-38 would definelty yield higher results. Also many times you cannot trust your ear, but a mic is really the only way to know what kind of results your experimentation has yielded.

IgnoreMe
10-01-2004, 03:26 PM
if you really wanted it louder tuning to 38 may not even kill you in the sq arena. You woudl most likely have one hell of a peak somewhere along the line, but it would be loud. But tuning anywhere from 33-38 would definelty yield higher results. Also many times you cannot trust your ear, but a mic is really the only way to know what kind of results your experimentation has yielded.
the last fact in my opinion isnt as important in this case. i mean yea you can test with a mic and say its this and this loud, but if the mic says 1 setup is louder than another, BUT the second setup SOUNDS louder to the human ear, then you should go with that one. if it doesnt sound louder to you, who cares what the mic says, unless you are competing, in which case the mic is the only thing you wanna impress.