PDA

View Full Version : Preamp voltages... That Big of a Deal?

Boosted92HB
09-30-2004, 06:26 PM
Im looking into getting a MP3/CD Player for my soon to be had Civic HB. I was wondering what does the voltage on the preamp output determine? I know that more is generally better. I plan on running an MTX 1501D 1000 wrms amp to 2x 8000 series 15's. Will it make that big of a difference if i get a HU w/ 2v or 5v outputs?

hoss
09-30-2004, 06:30 PM
the preamp voltage determines where you will set your gains, primarily. but that DOES NOT mean that if you have 5v compared to 2v you will gte more poewr out of your amp. you will get the same power no natter what the preamp voltage is.

the main advantage of a higher pre-out is its improved defense from noise induction such as alt whine, or road noise. the higher the voltage, the less likely these noises are to be introduced to your amplifiers. think of it as if you were trying to block out someones talking with humming... the louder you hum, the less likely you are to hear them. and the softer you hum, the easier it is for their noises to be heard by you :)

hope that helps a bit.

Nikuk
09-30-2004, 06:33 PM
very good explanation by Hoss...

also, generally higher preamp's (4 'n 5V) help your amp's live longer happier lives. Dont have to set your gain sensitiviy as high to get xx amount of voltage out.

forbidden
09-30-2004, 07:58 PM
More important that just the output voltage is where it is measured at and if is non clipping or not. A deck that may claim 4 volts of output may do so at 1000hz where anybrand can make power, but at 60hz it's a whole different story.

Boosted92HB
09-30-2004, 08:05 PM
THX guys. Very good explanations too! That definately cleared up a few of my other questions also. any more input would also be appreciated...

Also, What is a nice MP3/CD HU for ~200 smackeroos? all i need is a sub preamp, and preferably a remote. Is Blaupunkt (sp?) a reputable name?

Nikuk
09-30-2004, 08:46 PM
oh... and I just want to throw in that generally a deck rated for 4.0V is the peak rating. It'll be hard to get to that without clipping. But it's still better then a 2.2v rating for the obvious bandwidth reasons.