PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade components?

crash813
09-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Currently I'm running a set of RF FNX2514 (5.25") for the fronts and wondering if I would see any improvement if I went with either:

Crystal CSC-60S
CDT EF-61CF

I'm not really disappointed with the RF's, but I've kinda regretted not going 6.5" once I relized that the install wouldn't of been much more difficult. I'm also suffering from the wanna-be audiophile. You know, that voice in the back of your head that says a brand like Crystal or CDT has to be better than the mainstream RF gear pushed at every generic electonic store. I'm always looking for it be clearer and louder, but is this the right way?

My budget currently won't allow for much more than the above selections. I'm pushing ~125watts currently.

Mainly looking for comparisions and suggestions as to go ahead and replace or wait a while and look a little higher up the line when budget allows.

I'd appreciate any opinions.

squeak9798
09-30-2004, 10:52 AM
What is your budget??

crash813
09-30-2004, 11:27 AM
Would like to stay under $200

squeak9798
09-30-2004, 11:44 AM
And you currently have an amp, correct?? Because you have more options than you think:

Resonant Engineering RE comps - $165
Peerless Definition - $170
Alpine Type-X (HERE (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6in14FA8ewP/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=76500&I=500SPX177A&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=alpine) )
Alpine Type-R
Focal Access (HERE (http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=290&1=292&3=1807) )
MB Quart References (HERE (http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=357&1=359&3=2193) )
Diamond Audio (HERE (http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=266&1=267&3=2840) )
Infinity Reference (HERE (http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFREF6000CS) )

And that's not even all of them.......

crash813
09-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Yes, running an amp with RMS of 125.

So even considering the other options you mentioned........is it worth an upgrade right now to this level or waiting til I can afford more along the line of the BA pro series, Diamond Hex, etc.

The Fanatic X's aren't the bottom of the budget speakers but not sure how they stack up against the low/mid CDT's, RE's, Crystal's, etc. If I'm going to spend anymore money, I want to make sure there is an apparent improvement. If not, I'd rather just wait.

Simos
09-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Im in the exact same situation as you right now. I want to upgrade from Infinity 5x7 reference components to some 6.5 comps. Check these CDT's out...

http://www.thezeb.com/detail.aspx?ID=1083

I think these are what Im going with. They say 90 watts RMS, but Ive heard they can handle a whole lot more than that, just watch your gains on your amp.

Simos
09-30-2004, 01:38 PM
Another question... I know a lot of this has to do with personal preference, but what does anyone feel is the best 6.5 comp set in the $150-$200 range?

KLH2004a
10-01-2004, 12:12 AM
I have some RF Components in a car with a sony amp (shhh) and will hopefully have my Hexs installed in my other car by next weekend. I will let you know my opinion then.

UndercoverPunk
10-01-2004, 12:37 AM
I just installed a set of CDT EF-61's in my car and all I have to say is they sound bad aimed at your head, almost painful, so I tipped my kicks and pointed them at my feet and surprise, they sound amazing, I love them, even though I have to build new kicks, $165 well spent, I'd do it again. I've got atleast one person interesting in buying a set and I've only really shown them off to about 3 or 4 of my friends... I don't know about all CDT's but to me the EF-61's sound ALOT better pointed at my feet than my face...

squeak9798
10-01-2004, 10:37 AM
I don't know about all CDT's but to me the EF-61's sound ALOT better pointed at my feet than my face...

Majority or car speakers are designed to work best off-axis (because they are designed to work well in stock door locations).......which is the same reason a majority of them work well IB. Most of the time, your kicks will be off-axis, but you still gain the equalization of pathlengths.

wanna
10-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Majority or car speakers are designed to work best off-axis (because they are designed to work well in stock door locations).......which is the same reason a majority of them work well IB. Most of the time, your kicks will be off-axis, but you still gain the equalization of pathlengths.

Hey Squeak, what about tweeters are they also supposed to be off-axis. I have a pair of CDT titaniums that are supposed to be detailed but not harsh. I find with some recordings, the cymbals and tail end of vocals (ssss) are a bit too bright for me. I have the crossovers attenuated at -3 db, with the tweets aimed directly at me, knee level. Is this something to live with because of the metals or can this be fixed?

LBX2G
10-01-2004, 12:52 PM
ok u want some for a cheap price ebay i am bidding on them but i can not pay. I am the top bidder at 55.00 . These are cdt compents. But i would go with 6.5 you will hear a difference right away. But if u like the stuff u have i say stick with it.

LBX2G
10-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Hey Squeak, what about tweeters are they also supposed to be off-axis. I have a pair of CDT titaniums that are supposed to be detailed but not harsh. I find with some recordings, the cymbals and tail end of vocals (ssss) are a bit too bright for me. I have the crossovers attenuated at -3 db, with the tweets aimed directly at me, knee level. Is this something to live with because of the metals or can this be fixed?
well ur sound is harsh cus they are titaniums, u can correct it with the upgraded crossover they sale.

UndercoverPunk
10-01-2004, 01:57 PM
i am bidding on them but i can not pay. I am the top bidder at 55.00 .
WTF?:waycrazy: Why are you bidding then???

LBX2G
10-01-2004, 02:14 PM
WTF?:waycrazy: Why are you bidding then???
cus my pay check was not at big as i provced and i have to put flower on my father grave and buy my mother a birthday present. that is why.

squeak9798
10-01-2004, 06:34 PM

Have you tried playing with the phasing?? Go ahead and try turning them off-axis as well, should take some of the brightness out. But it may just be something you need to EQ to your liking.

LBX2G
10-01-2004, 09:00 PM
I totaly agree. I think EQ's can help alot in some systems.