PDA

View Full Version : need input

araitim
09-29-2004, 10:41 PM
i am curently trying to decide what mids and tweet setup to run and would like input. my car is a 94 fullsize bronco, i am going to replace the fronts with 6 1/6 coax set and the rears with 6x9 coax set. for a sub i am removing the center counsel and making a fiberglass one to house a 12in up at the dash firing twards the driver and passanger. i am looking for sound quality and for it to be loud, like standing infront of a speaker at a HateBreed concert. the options i have come up with are....

for the 6 1/2s

JL audio vr650cxi $130 OR

Focal 165ca $133 OR

MB Quart dke116 $99

for the 6x9s

JL audio vr690cxi $170 OR

Focal 690ca $140 OR

MB Quart dke169 $129

i have heard alot of good about the focals but have never heard them my self. i have owned MB Quarts before and liked them. everyone around me says go with the JL's. what do you think? are there any better for around the same price that i have left out?

squeak9798
09-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Ok......you are going to have a 12" sub upfront, but your only going to run co-axials off of HU power?? Seems like it's going to be a little unbalanced...........

First thing, ditch the rears and spend that money on either the front speakers, or an amp for the front speakers.

How much do you have to spend??

ANeonRider
09-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Ok......you are going to have a 12" sub upfront, but your only going to run co-axials off of HU power?? Seems like it's going to be a little unbalanced...........

First thing, ditch the rears and spend that money on either the front speakers, or an amp for the front speakers.

How much do you have to spend??

Totally agree with squeak on this one. A really good set of components that are amped, even if they aren't perfectly imaged, will sound alot better than 4 coaxials, and will better match the good upfront bass that you will have.

araitim
10-01-2004, 09:56 PM
for mids and tweets? i guess i have $300 for mids and tweets and something to push them. i was going to use the headunit to push them but im up for suggestions. it has to be loud, not all bass i want the whole thing to be loud. im dynomatting the doors and rear sides tomorow. i am putting the 12 up front so it is more concert like in sound and when i take the top off the bass wont be lost and so i dont loose the room inside. is a 12 in front not the way to go?

squeak9798
10-02-2004, 12:44 AM
is a 12 in front not the was to go?

A 12" in front is perfectly fine, as a matter of fact I'm going to mount a single 12 upfront in my car aswell.........but running a 12" sub upfront with co-axials powered by the headunit is not the way to go ;)

You'd probably want to spend ~$150-$200 on components, and then the remainder an a decent amp to power them. Since you are worried about the sound when having the top off, you will be fine running the stock rears off of the headunits power and then only using them as needed (fade all the way to the front the rest of the time), and maybe upgrade them from stock when you have more money with some "cheaply" priced co-axials ($50 or so), but for right now concentrate that money on the more important front speakers/amp.

There are a ton of components in the $150-$200 price range, Resonant Engineering RE comps and the Peerless Definition, also check into brands like Focal, Diamond Audio, Boston Acoustics, Rainbow, Arc Audio, MB Quart........all of those brands will have good comps in your price range.

Good budget amps are Profile, Clarion (awesome deal: http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/187 ), US Acoustics and Avionixx (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4950&item=5723285192&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

araitim
10-02-2004, 11:43 AM
where do i get Resonant Engineering RE comps, Peerless Definition, Rainbow and Arc Audio components from? i did a search and didnt find anything. any idea on prices?

squeak9798
10-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Resonant Engineering: www.reaudio.com (can buy from them, price around $167)
Peerless Definition: Website (http://www.d-s-t.com/peerless/index.htm) Buy them Here (at the very bottem, item # 8222001) around $190 (http://madisound.com/peerless.htm)
Arc Audio: www.arcaudio.com