PDA

View Full Version : 6x9s or ? in rear shelf yes or no?

1zenlunatic
09-27-2004, 03:54 AM
Ok, I am considering getting some 6x9's or some coaxle 6 1/2's to put on the rear shelf.

I am considering this because my car seats 4 and the people in the back seat can't here the hi's/mids coming from my Crystal Csc60s comps up front.

My question is, can i run the 6x9's off of the deck and use caps to modulate the frequency so they don't pick up the lows and distort?

Or do I really need to amp them?

I would like to use the deck but i dont want them to distort...

Any suggestions would help, thanks.

supa_c
09-27-2004, 03:57 AM
6 1/2's would work just fine.
you can run theem off h/u power.
the caps you are talking about are called "bass blockers "
no, you dont need to amp them

1zenlunatic
09-27-2004, 04:06 AM
Cool, word up supa C.

Can I get those bass blockers from Partsexpress dot com?

supa_c
09-27-2004, 04:10 AM
Not a problem :)
you should be able to get them from PE
Man i love my PE catalogue !!

Sleeklsc
09-27-2004, 04:26 AM
put 6x9's in..took mine out like 1 wk ago and can tell the diiference..and i DO have a decent front stage, but am putting the 6x9's back in soon...02

squeak9798
09-27-2004, 11:12 AM
You can just use a regular cap....don't need to look for anything special. However, you will need to determine what value cap you need.

Capacitor = 6db/oct highpass

And yes PE = :coolflas: :wowflash: :veryexci:

req
09-27-2004, 11:29 AM
well i got 6.5s in rear stage for the same reason. they are off the HU (because i dont have a 4ch amp anymore mine broked. sigh) and at higher volumes the fronts are semi clear (only a small wattage coustic on the fronts) but the back distort alot (clipping from HU - in sig) and the rears are running off the xover.

so its easy to do... but id suggest getting a 4ch (or another 2ch) amp to power them. i was dissapointed with them off the HU at loud volumes. so im getting a new 4ch amp for all 4 of them.

Berry47
09-27-2004, 12:28 PM
I think rear fill is 100% pointless with the proper sound deadening and install.

req
09-27-2004, 12:50 PM
i think its your oppinion and i personally enjoy having the music surround me because i DONT have proper sound deadening as most of us dont. (cant afford 5 rolls of p'n's and its not worth doing to my current car.)

and when a person installs his system, and has 100% proper deadening, the front driver will hear the music best... leastwise the rear passanger will get no imaging at all, or close enough to none, and only feel a ton of bass.

so in my situation (and i would assume most peoples here) rear fill is NOT 100% pointless. its 100% oppinion. and as your comment says "I THINK..."

so please, let him do what he wishes, but help with his decision instead of posting useless garbage with no informaion, or informaiton like "proper sound deadenig" that is utterly usless for his situation because he obviously does not have this.

i think $50 speakers\quick install is alot cheaper than $150 deadening and 20 hours to rip apart the car, install it all, and put it all back together- regardless of the quality benefits.

i say go for the speakers guy, but use round speakers because they will distort less at higher volumes (given that they are supplied with a clean signal versus oval speakers)

1zenlunatic
09-28-2004, 12:51 AM
To all who posted,

Thanks for your great input and info. I'm probably going to go with 6x9s and run them off the HU. Since I have no Subs at this time, I doubt I will be cranking the volume to levels of distortion. When I finally get some subs again and a decent amp to power them then I'll amp the rear speakers.

squeak9798
09-28-2004, 01:26 AM
BTW, I like your avatar.....Donnie Darko kicks ***

Berry47
09-28-2004, 01:29 AM
I actually have people ride in my backseat and have never experienced a complaint. My deadening isn't 100% I have only done front doors and floor, but the difference is astronomical.

I isntalled rear fill for about 2 weeks at one point but it was destroying my sound quality and prevented me from getting the full potential from my CDT's.

1zenlunatic
09-28-2004, 02:02 AM
Thats cool. I would like to do the same eventually. But not with this car.

Heres my situation:

I have a 90 honda civic 4 door. It has 241,500 miles on it. I plan on having it another 6 months. Sound deadening is not something I want to do with this car. I actually bought a roll of Raammat with the intention of deadening the doors to improve midbass quality form the Crystals, however, I decided against it when the old broken A1200 i had blew up my head unit.

I sold the faceplate on ebay and threw away the useless burnt out Pioneer carcass. With that money I was able to buy the same exact HU used on Ebay.(someone payed $61 for a well used pioneer faceplate~~~score!).

To make a long story short: To me, rear fill is worth it. And if I don't like it, I'll just take it out. No worries.

Thanks for the avatar props Squeek~~I want that rabbit costume!!!!

supa_c
09-28-2004, 02:37 AM
I had a 86 civic 4 door.
You def need the rear fill.
i had 2 pioneer 6x9's in the rear and 23w to each, pounded the car pretty nice.
Inside it sounded like it had a 10" sub.
You should have said you had a 90 Civic 4 door.
I change my first post, get 6x9's man !!
they pump out the bass in that little car

Naxis2k1
09-28-2004, 05:10 PM
i got cl-641 3-way in front doors with iek in a-pilllars
and my rear fill is cl-61a all amped and i got a great sound stage.
but i have a 88 chevy astro van so rear comps are bet away but makes for a great install and sound.

i bealive it all depends on the person and there feeling on what it should sound like. unless your doing sq comp or somthing to that effect. let the man do what he wants it is his own dang car and money. i would suggest asking a friend to borrow a set of 6x9 or somthing place in rear off HU, and see how it sounds you might end up not wanting any rearfill. and it might save you some doe too. just a suggestion tho. if you find that theres too much sound coming from rear you always have a fader control :P

supa_c
09-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Yeah, i had to fade to the front.
The 6x9's over powered the 6 1/2's in trebel and bass.
So i faded to the front, sounded pretty good