PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on components (warm/bright sound)

powerslide
09-26-2004, 11:41 PM
Hi there, I have been testing some component systems and thought I'd ask and see what you guys could suggest.
Basically what Im looking for is a component set that will play down to 60Hz, since that's where I plan to HP.
Im looking for a warm sound and bright high end, but not too sharp.
So far I've tried out Boston Pros, Focals (from Access to Utopia), and Alpine Type Rs for comparison.
I really liked the Utopias from Focal of course, but liked the Access more than the Polyglass since I found the Polyglass had more in the midrange sound (and I'm on a budget)
I really liked the Boston Pros as well as the lower line Bostons. However, I've heard they have power handling issues. Is this true?
I found the Type Rs to be very metallic sounding, too sharp in the higher frequencies. Ive heard that MB Quarts similar- very sharp and detailed sound.

Basically my question is: what are some other options? Have I already tested the best?
I was thinking perhaps Morrel or Adire Koda, but I havent heard them. Can anyone fill me in on those?
Thanks much for the help everyone!

squeak9798
09-26-2004, 11:54 PM
I really liked the Boston Pros as well as the lower line Bostons. However, I've heard they have power handling issues.

:confused: Whoever told you that was blowing smoke out their ***. I had an Eclipse 34230 (400w x 2 @ 4ohm) on my Pro6.5s and they loved every minute of it.

You've tested some great brands, but there are still at ton out there. Some other brands to look into:

Image Dynamics (check out their horns also...yummy)
Rainbow
Arc Audio
DLS
Eclipse
Seas Lotus

Then you have the option to go DIY (do it yourself) with brands like Scanspeak, Seas, Vifa, Peerless, Morel, Max Fidelity, etc etc.

powerslide
09-27-2004, 12:53 AM
Can I ask perhaps which you prefer/use and why you chose?
Also mabye explain the sound characteristics of your choice?
Thanks

As for DIY, do you mean choose a midrange driver and tweeter combo, then build a crossover yourself?
I'd be interested in doing this, however I'd love to see some examples or hear of some good combos.

Have you heard of Tangband or CSS speakers? How are they?
Thanks again!

supa_c
09-27-2004, 12:54 AM
:confused: Whoever told you that was blowing smoke out their ***. I had an Eclipse 34230 (400w x 2 @ 4ohm) on my Pro6.5s and they loved every minute of it.

You've tested some great brands, but there are still at ton out there. Some other brands to look into:

Rainbow
Arc Audio
DLS
Eclipse
Seas Lotus

Then you have the option to go DIY (do it yourself) with brands like Scanspeak, Seas, Vifa, Peerless, Morel, Max Fidelity, etc etc.Horns warm ???
really !
( no joke )

Redford
09-27-2004, 01:02 AM

Rainbow
Arc Audio
DLS
Eclipse
Seas Lotus

Then you have the option to go DIY (do it yourself) with brands like Scanspeak, Seas, Vifa, Peerless, Morel, Max Fidelity, etc etc.

He's right, I can't get enough power to my bostons.

supa_c
09-27-2004, 01:05 AM
Powerslide,
from what ive read the Koda 6.1's have bright tweeters and can go down to 60 HZ.

squeak9798
09-27-2004, 01:17 AM
Can I ask perhaps which you prefer/use and why you chose?
Also mabye explain the sound characteristics of your choice?
Thanks

It all comes down to personal preference

As for DIY, do you mean choose a midrange driver and tweeter combo, then build a crossover yourself?
I'd be interested in doing this, however I'd love to see some examples or hear of some good combos.

Yup....only you wouldn't have to build your own xover, you could use an active xover (the preferred choice since xover point and slope will be install dependent). But then you need more amplification channels.

Wow.....combinations that have worked....too many to list. There are so many options. How about I just list some equipment that people have had great success with:

Vifa MG, PL, XT series
Scanspeak Revelator series
Seas Excel and Lotus series
Usher Carbon Fiber mids (Scanspeak CF clones)
Max Fidelity tweets and mids
LPG 25/26NFA tweets
Peerless HDS and CSX series
Morel mids and tweets (about all of them, especially the Supremos)
Audax Aerogels
Hiquphon OWI, OWII tweeters

The LPG, Max Fidelity, Peerless and Vifa stuff are all great bang for the buck that can potentially blow away sub $500 comp sets. The SS Revs, Seas Excel and Ushers are the higher echelon of speakers. For example, the SS Revs are what the Alpine F#1 status $3500 comp set is based off of (minor mods made to improve off-axis performance).

Have you heard of Tangband or CSS speakers? How are they?

Actually CCS (Creative Sounds) just released a 4.5" driver with a XBL^2 motor...awesome stuff and the first sub-6" speaker to incorporate it. I'm probably going to get two just to screw around with. From what I've heard, they had them on demo at CES playing full range (no tweeter) and it was pretty darn impressive. Basically Creative has Adire design their drivers I believe (SX10, WR125S), so you know they will be good. TB is decent. Pretty good stuff for the money, but definitely better available.

powerslide
09-27-2004, 02:42 AM
squeak9798: very helpfull! I took a look into some of the names you suggested. Speakercity USA has a lot of them, so I could order what I need if I decided to go with any of them.
If the CCS are great, that would be easier, since there is a distributor close to home.

From the choices, which ones would most likely fit the warm sound with bright highs that Im looking for?
Unfortunately, I havent had the chance to hear any of these. If anyone could compare the sounds to the Focals or Bostons (my references) then that would really help!
Ive heard the the Morel silk dome tweeters are very smooth. How about the Vifas or the Peerless drivers?
I'd love to look into the Seas Lotus or higher end, but I am on a budget still.
I'd actually prefer the DIY route, especially if it can sound as good or better than components that can be bought seperately.

Just for reference, I am planning on running an amp like a Soundstream Reference 300 for the fronts. Any other suggestions? I dont have an amp yet, but had that one in mind.
My car is a 92 318is, so the kick speakers are 5 1/4" and the tweets could be mounted anywhere.
Thanks again everyone!

supa_c
09-27-2004, 02:51 AM
Why not take a trip down to Adire Audio ?

powerslide
09-27-2004, 04:10 AM
How about perhaps the CSS XBL^2 4.5 inch driver or Adire Koda 6
and a tweeter like a Morel silk dome or similar. That would provide accurate clear response in the midbass, and a bright yet not too sharp high end. The Adires have a very flat response curve.
Perhpas this could rival one of the components I mentioned?

supa_c
09-27-2004, 04:14 AM
Sounds like a mean combo :)
Its just to bad the Extremis 6' arent 4 ohm.
and wont be for a while.

squeak9798
09-27-2004, 10:40 AM
My car is a 92 318is, so the kick speakers are 5 1/4" and the tweets could be mounted anywhere.

If that's the biggest you can fit, scratch the Koda's off your list.

Go over to http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/ (yes, you need to register to view, it's worth your while) and do some searching about the products you are interested in. 95% chance that if you do a search, you'll find the information you want on it. If you can't find it, start a new topic and ask as there is a very high likelyhood that someone has used it before.

What is your budget BTW??

powerslide
09-28-2004, 02:51 AM
the elitecaraudio guys didnt have much to say, but I did take some time to look through the forum archives and get some information on the drivers.
My budget is around 300US, so about 500 canadian.

What I dug up is that the Dynaudio tweeters are absolutely top notch, creating very realistic sound that is smooth and defined. I read a review of them next to the Utopias. Utopias tended to 'color' the sound so that they would blend together, where the Dynaudio seperated them. Utopias were more sharp, dynaudios smooth. However, i think dynaudios are $$$
This is getting into very detailed listening and differences; both are supposed to be amazingly clear and defined.
Didnt get too much on the midranges. Just got a lot more info on how to set up components and a couple good combos.

So Im pretty much still where I was before.
I'm debating weather or not a soft dome/silk or aluminum tweeter would be best. What are on the Boston Pros and Utopias again?
Perhaps I could make space arrangements for the CCS or Adires if the sound will be excellent. Apparenty, Adire made the new 6 extremus to compete with Seas and other high end offerings.

kappa546
09-28-2004, 04:42 AM
look in sig...

squeak9798
09-28-2004, 10:26 AM
What are on the Boston Pros and Utopias again?

Don't know about Utopias, but the Pros are metal dome

Apparenty, Adire made the new 6 extremus to compete with Seas and other high end offerings.

I don't know about the Extremis itself, but Dan Wiggins did say that the RE XXX mid (cousin to the Extremis) at CES in January measured smoother and cleaner then the Seas Excel on the Klippel measurement system (measures FR, THD, IMD, power compression, output, etc). Measurements aren't everything, but that definitely has got them leaning in the right direction.