PDA

View Full Version : What is the best 5.25" component setup made bar none?

Intercooler
09-23-2004, 12:10 AM
Looking for some of the upper tier 5.25" component sets for my Turbo-T's doors and front. Would it be Image, Memphis, MB Quart, etc??? Need some suggestions since most of these aren't carried at my local shops. Thanks!

squeak9798
09-23-2004, 12:20 AM
What is your budget?? Cause seriously, bar none is a totally different league than what I think you are thinking. I could find some gear that would take you into quadruple digits ($XXXX)..........

Intercooler
09-23-2004, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the response! I guess at $250.00.

DarrenE46
09-23-2004, 12:47 AM
CDT

Not that Im biased (mine are in the mail :))

vincemarq
09-23-2004, 01:05 AM
I've had Focal Polyglass 5.25's. Provide bright, clear, crisp sound. Very clear highs, not too harsh. Mid bass was cool but they were only 5.25's. I had infinity reference before the Focals and the Focals were like 20x better in clarity and they could get so much louder without distortion.

I'm not saying Focal is the best cuzz I haven't heard all the speakers out there. They're just the best set of speakers I've experienced first hand. :)

Intercooler
09-23-2004, 01:06 AM
CDT

Not that Im biased (mine are in the mail :))

What does CDT stand for? Do you have a link with info on them?

squeak9798
09-23-2004, 01:08 AM

CDT isn't an acronym, it's CDT Audio. www.cdtaudio.com

Intercooler
09-23-2004, 01:18 AM
Any other suggestions?

CarlB
09-23-2004, 11:23 AM
At a high price rnage, its personal preference. Focal, Dynaudio, and Rainbow are some of the very best.

Intercooler
09-23-2004, 02:10 PM
At a high price rnage, its personal preference. Focal, Dynaudio, and Rainbow are some of the very best.

Where is the best place to buy or read about these? None around here and Crutchfield doesn't list them :crazy:

djdilliodon
09-23-2004, 07:15 PM
i know what cdt stands for but im not tellin:)

`pr0digy
09-23-2004, 09:28 PM
I like my CDT HD62's :)

Pray tell what CDT stands for djdilliodon!

djdilliodon
09-23-2004, 09:35 PM
contoured disperasion technologies?

CarlB
09-23-2004, 10:51 PM
Where is the best place to buy or read about these? None around here and Crutchfield doesn't list them :crazy:

Yeah, they are high class, and sometimes hard to find:

info:
http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/
http://www.dynaudio.com/
http://www.rainbow-car-audio.de/

To buy:
Focal and Dynaudio- www.woofersetc.com
Rainbow is even harder to find :P I don't know an online place that sells them.

mykeys
09-24-2004, 09:00 AM
for another $30 you could also look into ID chameleons

eFertLIS
09-24-2004, 10:30 AM
Clif Designs Technology?

eFertLIS
09-24-2004, 10:31 AM
My Reco is for a set of Boston Acoustic Pro 5.4 or 5.5 from ebay. I got two sets of used 6.4 Pro's off there and absolutely love them.

3.5Max6spd
09-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Best 5.25's I've heard are Rainbow Profi line
Best 6.5's I've heard are Rainbow Profi Vanadiums....

Intercooler
09-24-2004, 03:30 PM
I have heard of Cliff Designs. Is that CDT?

Intercooler
09-24-2004, 03:43 PM
I contacted Dynaudio and they seem killer but the 5.25" component set is $730.00. A little much for me. What falls in the $300-$400 range in the higher end?

3.5Max6spd
09-24-2004, 03:46 PM
I contacted Dynaudio and they seem killer but the 5.25" component set is $730.00. A little much for me. What falls in the $300-$400 range in the higher end?

CDT HD's, ARC ACS, maybe DA HEX's, ID CHAMELEONS , OZ Matrix Elites have gotten swell reviews as well.....depending where you get them from....to name a few

Intercooler
09-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Any certain one you suggest over the other in my range? Since it sounds like you have experience with them that is what I trust most. Let me know.

maylar
09-24-2004, 05:16 PM
Don't overlook the Kicker Resolution's if you're trying for something good at reasonable cost. Bright clear midrange, decent midbass, and the tweets are second to none in their price range. I like mine a whole bunch.

3.5Max6spd
09-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Any certain one you suggest over the other in my range? Since it sounds like you have experience with them that is what I trust most. Let me know.

I hate to pin point a single product, as everyone should be, because we are limited to our personal experience only- but I'll say that Rainbow is a company that I had to research alot on my own, and is a superb company that has dedicated themselves for decades to speaker making- they are german made speakers and people around the world use them and compete with them

All the components I've mentioned I've heard in numerous installs, my good friend is a dealer

Now for comparisons sake, Rainbows second from lowest line, the Sound line is in your price range- this is how they fared against Focal Utopias (more than double the price or the Rainbows and Focals top components)
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/press/news.php?lan=2&dat=062004

This is not an attempt to discredit Focal, its just an example of the SQ of a low level of Rainbows- they have an extensive line, look into them

Intercooler
09-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Thanks for that! Does a place on the Net exist that does comparisons or reviews of all the major players? A nice table with how each performed in certain areas? That is how I bought my digital camera because I didn't know it all. I found a nice place with a ton of reviews and ratings by users. All I needed to make my decision. If you have something like that please let me know. Thanks!

squeak9798
09-24-2004, 07:46 PM
Now for comparisons sake, Rainbows second from lowest line, the Sound line is in your price range- this is how they fared against Focal Utopias (more than double the price or the Rainbows and Focals top components)
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/press/news.php?lan=2&dat=062004

Eh.......no offense, but I hate seeing stuff like this. We all know how important the install is.....links like that are pretty much useless as far as speaker comparisons go. Plus, the Rainbows could have lost in the SQ judging, but the other portions of the judging like SPL and install are what pushed the "Rainbow" vehicle into first place....but there is no way to tell from that link. It's like when Kicker put a big thing on their website.."Kicker Solo-X wins Sound Quality Championship" when the Solo-X was only used in the SPL portion of the judging, not the SQ portion. But simply because it was "in" the vehicle and used for a portion of the judging (albeit SPL only), there wasn't much to say about it other than it was a misleading.

And heck, a Pyramid sub was used in a system that won a 2003 USACi world championship, so should we start comparing Pyramid subs to Image Dynamics, Adire, RE, etc etc??

3.5Max6spd
09-24-2004, 07:53 PM
Thanks for that! Does a place on the Net exist that does comparisons or reviews of all the major players? A nice table with how each performed in certain areas? That is how I bought my digital camera because I didn't know it all. I found a nice place with a ton of reviews and ratings by users. All I needed to make my decision. If you have something like that please let me know. Thanks!

The car audio world is so vast and the bigger companies(not nescesarilly the best) can afford to advertise and exploit their products onto every car audio magazine- my advice to you, since buying a set of speakers that price should be a personal choice and a subjective one at that(what I like you may not nescessarily like) dont rush into a set of components- do your homework/research, and the internet should only be a small portion of this, you need to locate dealers in the area and listen to some different products and let your ears be the judge

As far as Rainbow, you can take my word that they are all that- check my homepage for pics if interested

My 16 yr old brother, who only has his permit wanted to put the same frontstage sound as my car in his first car- I have Arc ACS(which are made by Rainbow for ARC) and spent ~$300 for '03 Contours(Rainbows mid line) and they are incredible-

You should go to www.elitecaraudio.com and post on reviews/suggestions on them or other set you may have in mind, some members over there have them

djdilliodon
09-24-2004, 07:57 PM
I have heard of Cliff Designs. Is that CDT?

CDT audio has been in the business a very long time. before 1995 they use to be a designer and speaker builder for a few high end brands such as clif ect. In 1995 clif went out of business and cdt refused to continue to build the products for them and cdt went on there own. CDT stands for contoured disperation technologies. CDT now focuses on there own line but is also still building speakers for a few others:)

Intercooler
09-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Those Dynaudios from my research are probably THE bomb but out of my budget. My good friend that turned me on to the RE-12 suggested a component set of Diamond Hex's. Supposedly #2 behind the Dynas and for roughly $300. They have killer reviews!

Naxis2k1
09-25-2004, 04:38 AM

controlled depression tech
very good comps you can get a set of cl-61a(silk tweet) from the zeb for 149.99 this is there lowest line of comps but they hold there own for sure i got a set of the cl-61a and a set of the cl-641 and my shizzz sounds really clear and loud as hell and they are not even fully powered. i think thats the best bang for the buck out right now

djdilliodon
09-25-2004, 04:44 AM
controlled depression tech

its contoured disperation technologies

3.5Max6spd
09-27-2004, 08:08 AM
Those Dynaudios from my research are probably THE bomb but out of my budget. My good friend that turned me on to the RE-12 suggested a component set of Diamond Hex's. Supposedly #2 behind the Dynas and for roughly $300. They have killer reviews!

just keep in mind that both those sets share nothing in common, two different sounding sets altogether, and DA is having alot of blown tweets that come with the Hex silk option set

3.5Max6spd
09-27-2004, 08:11 AM
Eh.......no offense, but I hate seeing stuff like this. We all know how important the install is.....links like that are pretty much useless as far as speaker comparisons go. Plus, the Rainbows could have lost in the SQ judging, but the other portions of the judging like SPL and install are what pushed the "Rainbow" vehicle into first place....but there is no way to tell from that link. It's like when Kicker put a big thing on their website.."Kicker Solo-X wins Sound Quality Championship" when the Solo-X was only used in the SPL portion of the judging, not the SQ portion. But simply because it was "in" the vehicle and used for a portion of the judging (albeit SPL only), there wasn't much to say about it other than it was a misleading.

And heck, a Pyramid sub was used in a system that won a 2003 USACi world championship, so should we start comparing Pyramid subs to Image Dynamics, Adire, RE, etc etc??

hence the point he can achieve superb Sq with a $350 set in comparison to a $600 set.....