PDA

View Full Version : High End Components

osm0nd
09-15-2004, 02:07 AM
Hey I'm looking forward to getting some really nice components... my price range is probably around 450-500... i went to a local dealer the other day n he has some focal kp's that i gave a listen... they were sweet... i found them for about 420 online shipped... around that price range i can also get some cdt eurosports but i've never gave em a listen because no local dealers around here have em.. most havent even heard of cdt... im kinda skeptical on cdt because i use to own a pair of cl-61a's that i wasnt too happy with but the es are like their high end comps so i expect them to be much better.. but yeah the question was what are the best components i can buy for 450-500 bucks?

squeak9798
09-15-2004, 02:15 AM
i went to a local dealer the other day n he has some focal kp's that i gave a listen... they were sweet... i found them for about 420 online shipped...

I hope you feel bad about that..........

Anyways, look into:

Focal
Dynaudio
Boston Acoustics Pro Series
MB Quart
Rainbow
Morel
Image Dynamics
Arc Audio
DLS

That's all I can think of right now............

mykeys
09-15-2004, 08:49 AM
All those mentioned by Squeak.
The Eurosports are very good i'd say they rival the Focal Utopia's I cant tell you what that is in the new series but it was the high end.. i havent had the opp. to listen to the polykev's

pwnt by pat
09-15-2004, 01:24 PM
How much better are the focal's than the Infinity Perfect series?

3.5Max6spd
09-15-2004, 01:31 PM
How much better are the focal's than the Infinity Perfect series?

dunno....i do know that low level of Rainbows beat the Utopias to give you an idea......

http://car.rainbow-audio.de/press/news.php?lan=3&dat=062004

idiot
09-15-2004, 03:47 PM
Perhaps so, in that one instance. But the subjectivity of the listeners and importance of install make it silly to suggest that one speaker will always sound “better” than another.

3.5Max6spd
09-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Perhaps so, in that one instance. But the subjectivity of the listeners and importance of install make it silly to suggest that one speaker will always sound “better” than another.

that was the point of my post, a set of components a fraction of the price can sound better or just as good- no beter way to exemplify this than an SQ competition- where people are 'competing' :idea:

idiot
09-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Sorry. Before seeing this, I had just read the thread in ECA where you linked that page, and interpreted both as Focal-bashing. My bad. ;)

3.5Max6spd
09-15-2004, 05:34 PM
Sorry. Before seeing this, I had just read the thread in ECA where you linked that page, and interpreted both as Focal-bashing. My bad. ;)

Good- so I'll repeat what I posted in ECA- Focals have a very distinct sound that people either love or hate- My only pleasant experience with Utopias were in my buddies 328Bimmer, it could be a great challenge to get them to sound as good in a less solid/dampened vehicle- which is the case
with a few Maxima and Altima owners that I personally know, who just cant get the sound they dished out $500 for

idiot
09-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Though I’ve heard a few lines of Focal, I have no experience with the Utopias, so I cannot comment. I don’t consider the sound from the K2Ps to be particularly colored, although I’d love to hear the reportedly “neutral” sounding sets for comparison, like Dyns or DLS.
I’ve heard the K2Ps in a moderately dampened door install. But I don’t understand how the presence of dampener would affect any “distinct” Focal sound.

tobz
09-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Anyone use the RE comps yet? I was thinking of running Dual 15" XXX's sealed with a set of 6.5" RE XXX Comps. I'm hoping the RE XXX Comps will hit the lower midbass needed to accompany the XXX sub in a sealed application. I appreciate any thoughts.

-T.J.

3.5Max6spd
09-15-2004, 06:21 PM
Though I’ve heard a few lines of Focal, I have no experience with the Utopias, so I cannot comment. I don’t consider the sound from the K2Ps to be particularly colored, although I’d love to hear the reportedly “neutral” sounding sets for comparison, like Dyns or DLS.
I’ve heard the K2Ps in a moderately dampened door install. But I don’t understand how the presence of dampener would affect any “distinct” Focal sound.

Utopias have a unique sound, regardless of anything- I commented on my coworkers car because it sounds very good in comparison to other installs - his midbass is more pronounced(this I believe is due the solidity of doors) and blends better with the high pitched tweets -