PDA

View Full Version : comps rms

pwnt by pat
09-14-2004, 08:40 PM
I'm looking at componant speakers for an upgrade from stock soon (the amp is on it's way). I was looking at the Infinity Perfect 5.1's 'cause my car can only fit 5 1/4" in the stock door mounts. My question is this though: Onlinecarstereo lists the comps as 25-110wrms. Is this for both the mid and tweet before the crossover (50wrms each max) or can each speaker and tweeter handle upto 100wrms independantly?

The only reason I'm asking is I want to know the best way to wire up my amp. My amp puts out 50x4@4ohm an 100/110(sources vary)x4@2ohm. If they do 110wrms shared I should be able too run from my amp at 2ohm and still get power to my rears or do 50wrmsx4 and lose my rear fill - no biggy. If they do 100wrms a speaker or tweet, then I can go 2ohm all around and lose the backs. I don't know if they are dvc or svc though.

squeak9798
09-14-2004, 10:13 PM
My question is this though: Onlinecarstereo lists the comps as 25-110wrms. Is this for both the mid and tweet before the crossover (50wrms each max) or can each speaker and tweeter handle upto 100wrms independantly?

Well, they would probably have to be able to handle 100w RMS each, since at any given time either speaker is receiving the full RMS of the amp. If you send 100w to a component set, then each speaker isn't receiving 50w; each speaker is seeing the full power (assuming both mid and tweet are the same impedence).

The only reason I'm asking is I want to know the best way to wire up my amp. My amp puts out 50x4@4ohm an 100/110(sources vary)x4@2ohm. If they do 110wrms shared I should be able too run from my amp at 2ohm and still get power to my rears or do 50wrmsx4 and lose my rear fill - no biggy. If they do 100wrms a speaker or tweet, then I can go 2ohm all around and lose the backs. I don't know if they are dvc or svc though.

How exactly did you plan on getting a 2ohm load?? They are SVC speakers....I don't know of too many component speakers that are DVC.

But they are rated 4ohm, so you could either run bridge two channels to each side and send them 200w (judging by the specs you listed) per side, or you could wire one channel to each side and get 50w per side.

jellyfish420
09-14-2004, 10:39 PM
i'd vote for 200w a side and gain the amp down. it would be better than 50 a side then cranking the gain, a clippin the **** outta them.

pwnt by pat
09-15-2004, 11:51 AM
I wasn't sure if they were svc or dvc. I assumed the first but listed that as an option in case they were dvc.

If you send 100w to a component set, then each speaker isn't receiving 50w; each speaker is seeing the full power (assuming both mid and tweet are the same impedence).

Okay, that's what I didn't understand. Check this though, if I do this then both tweeter and mid will get 100w, right?
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard/2_4ohmSVC_2ohm.gif

Would there be any way to work the crossover included with the perfects into this or would I have to get a seperate crossover? I don't have one with stock speakers right now. Edit: just thought that I could use the crossover on the tweets and let the mids put out their full range, or vis versa... or even get two more small crossovers like what's included and just use 'em to filter out signals. That would solve that problem.

More edit - my mind keeps going: If I bridge into two channels then I get 100wrmsx2@4ohm and I can use the included crossovers and each speaker/tweet will get 100wrrms and still have its signal filtered, right?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/pwntbypat/untitled.jpg
I am aware the wiring isn't right there, it's just to show the idea. This sounds like the most logical approach to me but I want another opinion. (I hate electrical stuff)

jellyfish420, I just want to make sure I' clear on this, you suggest bridging the four chanels into two channels running about 200wrms@2ohm and use front speakers only?

I justs removed my rearfill about a half of an hour ago and I like the way it sounds. Too bad my stock comps **** *** and clip like mad at mid volumes. I'm hoping my new amp will fix that until I can upgrade 'em. I'm not sure how I'lll have the setup with high-quality comps/rears though.

squeak9798
09-15-2004, 03:33 PM
just thought that I could use the crossover on the tweets and let the mids put out their full range, or vis versa...

FYI; very bad idea....especially if you were to do it with the tweet (it wouldn't last more than a minute or two playing full range). Crossovers are good, very good..........

Anyways, what exactly are you trying to accomplish....sending 100w RMS to each speaker??

Cause first off all, you won't know how much power you "need" until the components are installed. RMS power handling is typically a thermal power handling and not a mechanical power handling (i.e. in your speicific install, the RMS power may push the mid beyond it's mechanical limits).

2nd, even if you bought spare crossovers and ran the mid/tweet in parallel to a single channel for a 2ohm load and 100w RMS from that channel, each speaker would still only get 50w RMS (since now the power is divided between the two of them), which is exactly the same as they would get if you were to run them through a single crossover like normal (all of this is assuming that both the mid and tweet are 4ohm).

If you want to push more than 50w to each speaker with the amp you have, the only thing you can do is bridge channels 1 & 2 to the left side's crossover, and bridge channels 3 & 4 to the right side's crossover, and then conservatively setting the gain control. But again, you won't know how much power you need until you install them in your car........so right now you are just running through hypothetical situations...........50w may be more than enough for them.

pwnt by pat
09-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Roger. I just want to make sure I get enough power for 'em so they don't distort and/or clip. That's basicly my main concern. So when I get 'em I'll try 'em at 50w@4ohm and if I need more, I'll just shoot back. Squeek, you are a god amongst men.