PDA

View Full Version : dual tweeters?

alti98
09-11-2004, 01:08 AM
Im thinking of adding 2 more tweeters to my setup to gain some more highs.

I currently have the mb quarts pce-216, Im checking out the prices of the tweeters and they look to be around 60 not bad.

Anyone have 4 tweeters?

Does it make a big difference?

IkeTurner
09-11-2004, 02:51 AM
I have heard of using multiple set of tweets to help raise a low sound stage. I have also considered a second set up near the dash. I would think at a lower volume level, so you don't create a point source.

squeak9798
09-11-2004, 11:23 AM
If you are going to do it, then you would probably want to mount them high (above the dash on the A-pillar) and cross them over very high (7khz-8Khz), and run a L-pad to them so you can attenuate them some.

What "highs" are you missing?? In reality the mid plays a large majority of the frequencies.....so if you are trying to increase, say, the vocal range, then that would be mid related and not so much tweeter related. Cymbal crashes, for example, would be tweeter related.

alti98
09-13-2004, 12:48 PM
If you are going to do it, then you would probably want to mount them high (above the dash on the A-pillar) and cross them over very high (7khz-8Khz), and run a L-pad to them so you can attenuate them some.

What "highs" are you missing?? In reality the mid plays a large majority of the frequencies.....so if you are trying to increase, say, the vocal range, then that would be mid related and not so much tweeter related. Cymbal crashes, for example, would be tweeter related.

I guess im not missing the highs I just want more.

What is the L-pad Thing?

squeak9798
09-13-2004, 01:13 PM
But my point was......what do you want more of?? Cause an extra tweeter may not solve your problem as a large majority of the "important" frequencies are played by the mid and not the tweeter.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3 - L-pads, basically allows you to attenuate the drivers individually by putting them in-line with the speakers.

If you "want more", I suggest you look into horns. I'll never go back to tweeters...............

DFW40
09-13-2004, 01:28 PM
You could purchase an EQ and boost whatever frequencies you want to be louder. A simple 5 band can let you get more out of your tweets and midranges as well.

squeak9798
09-13-2004, 01:29 PM
You could purchase an EQ and boost whatever frequencies you want to be louder. A simple 5 band can let you get more out of your tweets and midranges as well.

You can clip high frequencies the same as you can bass. Not a good idea to just "boost" whatever you want to be louder, the same as you shouldn't just "boost" the bass to get more output. Tweeters don't take kindly to clipping........

EQ's should mainly be used to lower peaks in the response, not to be used as a volume control or to heavily boost frequencies.

DFW40
09-13-2004, 01:41 PM
You can give a little tweek or fine tuning of all frequencies which is a "boost" or "decrease" and if you use good judgement you can do this without clipping.

squeak9798
09-13-2004, 01:45 PM
You can give a little tweek or fine tuning of all frequencies which is a "boost" or "decrease" and if you use good judgement you can do this without clipping.

Therein lies the problem in most cases ;)

DFW40
09-13-2004, 01:47 PM
very good point

aphinney
09-14-2004, 12:12 AM
i would say very good point also