PDA

View Full Version : Help damaged speaker (looking for new)

dustinr
09-10-2004, 12:58 AM
Hi,

Currently I'm running 2 Memphis Audio 5.25's for my front door speakers and 2 Rockford Fosgate Power T152C 5.25's on the back doors.. The Memphis Audio's I bought off of my brother and were bought about a year ago. Today I was out riding around with one of my friends.. and he accidently kicked my woofer on one of the Memphis's and I'm pretty sure its done for. I'm not mad really.. I have been thinking about buying some new speakers or comps for the front anyways. The speaker works fine on low volumes, but when it gets high and bass is involved.. it sounds like **** and the woofer doesn't move as much as my other one. Really, I need help picking out a good pair of speakers or comps. I'm pretty new to car audio, and I don't even know the difference between them. Components are like more than 2 way? Correct? Well, anyways.. I have a budget of around $100-175 bucks, If you could direct me to a pair of good speakers or comps I would gladly appreciate it. Also I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers in doing a good install on door speakers. Basically with the ones I have in right now, I just wired them up where they're soposed to be wired on the magnet and screwed them to the door where the stock speakers where. I left the grills off b/c they were rattling, and they weren't as loud. I would really like to get some new speakers within a few days, b.c this one speaker is driving me nuts!!.. Please help :)

Dustin

squeak9798
09-10-2004, 01:49 AM
If you are not going to amplify the speakers, then stick with co-axials. If you plan on amping them in the very short term future, then get components.

Co-axials are when the tweeter and mid are mounted together (usually tweeter in the middle of the mid). Component speakers are where the mid and tweeter are completely separate drivers and can be mounted independently of each other, and they come with external passive crossovers. Generally components have higher quality speakers, better sound quality, higher power handling and more advanced crossover networks. Plus, with them being separate drivers, it gives you the opportunity to locate both the mids and tweeters in optimal locations. Don't get me wrong though, there are some pretty high quality co-axials made by companies like Boston Acoustics, MB Quart, Focal, etc, and they can sound nice, but generally components are better options if being used with an external amplifier.

So, IMO the first thing you need to decide is if you are going to use an external amplifier for them or not. If not, then stick with co-axials. If you are, then check out some components like:

Focal Access: http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=290&1=292&3=1838
Focal Polyflex: http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=290&1=292&3=1185
MB Quart Reference: http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=357&1=359&3=2192
Infinity Reference: http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFREF5000CS
Peerless Definition: http://solen.ca/pics/peerless/definition.jpg (Price $179)

dustinr
09-10-2004, 02:28 AM
How do comps sound without an amp on them? I may not beable to get an amp for them right off of the bat, but I think I would rather invest my money in something that will be better in the long run. Do comps sound just as good as co-axials without an amp? Also.. I'm confused with the whole crossover thing. What is a crossover, what does it do and where are they located? Is it hard to wire a set of components? Sorry I'm asking so many questions, but I'm really intrested in learning more about component speakers. Also what are those big things that come with a comp set, are those mounts for the Tweeters? Thanks for your help everyone I really apericiate it :)

squeak9798
09-10-2004, 10:53 AM
How do comps sound without an amp on them? I may not beable to get an amp for them right off of the bat, but I think I would rather invest my money in something that will be better in the long run. Do comps sound just as good as co-axials without an amp?

They will probably sound pretty good w/o an amp....but you aren't even close to using the speakers to their full potential.

Also.. I'm confused with the whole crossover thing. What is a crossover, what does it do and where are they located?

The crossover is the box looking thing that will come with the components. When installing them, you just mount them where ever you have room. What they do is separate the frequencies between the midrange/midbass and the tweeter. Since the tweeter can't play lower frequencies, it highpasses the tweeter. And since the mid won't sound very good playing higher frequencies, it lowpasses the mid.

Is it hard to wire a set of components?

Not hard at all. You just wire the crossover to a channel of the amp the same way you would a speaker, then the mid and tweeter get wired to the crossover.

Also what are those big things that come with a comp set, are those mounts for the Tweeters?

If they are the big boxy looking things (some of them are plexi and you can see caps and coils inside), then those would be the crossovers :)

dustinr
09-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks so much for the information man! You have no idea how much you have helped me out. I'm pretty happy b/c today I went out and pulled the broken speaker out of the door and It had wiring terminals one listed HF and one LF.. the LF was wired and I suspected that It ment Low freq and the other ment high... So i just re wired the memphis speakers up to HF and now the tweeters just play.. which is fine..until I get some new speakers.. thanks alot guys